Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Alternative view of the Humber

Roy Clements 3039
South Ferriby Sluice Jan 14 2017Winteringham Creek/Redcliffe Middle not much activity on the forum so I thought I'd start the year off with a view of our ever changing river from the air. Very limited access to the channel south of Read's Island since the tidal surge of a few years ago. Images taken yesterday Jan 14, around low water. The predicted surge for this weekend didn't make an impact in the river, however I believe some coastal flooding occurred in Hornsea, Whitby and Grimsby.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Alternative view of the Humber

Steve Shone 3398
The changes look even more startling from the air, Roy, thanks for sharing the photographs. It wasnt that long ago when I was Sailing Master of the Humber Keel, Comrade, sailing out of South Ferriby, that we'd often kill a bit of time by sailing up river along the inside of the island before heading downriver on the ebb. At that time the deep, wide channel ran close to the Lincolnshire bank and there was a wide mudflat along the island. Given the amount of silting, which must be a phenomenal tonnage, it's a potent reminder of the power of that unpredictable river.
Sailing a square rigged barge was always a challenge on the Humber with its everchanging shoals, especially when returning to South Ferriby on the flood tide against a strong westerly. The 'Hessle Whelps' and Barton Bulldogs' (short, steep standing waves) could make life very difficult. I recall one occasion when (thanks to a sudden and unforecasted force 7+) because the ship was pitching so much her rudder lost her bite and the only alternative was to turn her around and let her be carried stern first by the flood under the Humber Bridge, keeping just enough steerage way on with the help of the trusty Lister JP3!
One of the crew members emerged from the hold to inform me that they were sorry but had been sick. I replied that that was nothing - up there on the aft deck, I'd been close to doing something very childish indeed

Steve
Steve and Eileen - ex-Dabber sailors, almost ex-Cape Cutter 19 sailors, now Lune Whammel Coastal Weekender sailors. Based in East Yorkshire and looking forward to some DCA rallies.
Reply | Threaded
|

Roy Clements 3039
Hi Steve, I don't know if this was you, Comrade and Amy plus three or four Winteringham boats had been anchored at the chimney, I forget the year. The Whelps can be 'interesting' in a kayak or dinghy too
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve Shone 3398
If it's the occasion I'm thinking of, Roy, when we went in there for some shelter along with Amy, then yes, 'twas I  It wasn't an anchorage that we used very often, but it was appreciated when it was needed.

'Interesting' isn't the word that first springs to my mind - but I agree with the sentiment!

Steve
Steve and Eileen - ex-Dabber sailors, almost ex-Cape Cutter 19 sailors, now Lune Whammel Coastal Weekender sailors. Based in East Yorkshire and looking forward to some DCA rallies.