classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

An invitation to cruise in Ireland next season

Keith Muscott 1516
Administrator
I am posting this letter of invitation from Tom Bailey, whom we met at Beale Park. He was very enthusiastic about a DCA Lough Erne rally and a number of us thought it a good idea at the time (and still do). We have floated the idea of a rally in Ireland before, but having someone in place over there who would be part of it gives it a much firmer foundation. K.

Dear Keith

It was a pleasure to meet with you and some of your fellow Dinghy Cruising Association members at the Beale Park Show.  As briefly mentioned at the time I would like to extend an invitation to the DCA to visit the beautiful area of Lough Erne in Northern Ireland. Lough Erne Yacht Club (www.leyc.org) would welcome you and extend our Club facilities to DCA members. We have secure parking for cars and trailers and for those seeking accommodation the Manor House Hotel (www.manorhousecountryhotel.com) is 500 metres from LEYC.  Details of our cruising waters can be viewed on the Waterways Ireland web page (www.waterwaysireland.org) .

Please let me know if anything further is required.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards
TOM BAILEY
ida57@mac.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: An invitation to cruise in Ireland next season

John Sharpe 2985
Hi Keith,
I like the idea of an Ireland cruise and could be up for it, depending on the dates etc.

Regards

On 9 Jun 2016, at 18:15, Keith Muscott 1516 [via DCA Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

I am posting this letter of invitation from Tom Bailey, whom we met at Beale Park. He was very enthusiastic about a DCA Lough Erne rally and a number of us thought it a good idea at the time (and still do). We have floated the idea of a rally in Ireland before, but having someone in place over there who would be part of it gives it a much firmer foundation. K.

Dear Keith

It was a pleasure to meet with you and some of your fellow Dinghy Cruising Association members at the Beale Park Show.  As briefly mentioned at the time I would like to extend an invitation to the DCA to visit the beautiful area of Lough Erne in Northern Ireland. Lough Erne Yacht Club (www.leyc.org) would welcome you and extend our Club facilities to DCA members. We have secure parking for cars and trailers and for those seeking accommodation the Manor House Hotel (www.manorhousecountryhotel.com) is 500 metres from LEYC.  Details of our cruising waters can be viewed on the Waterways Ireland web page (www.waterwaysireland.org) .

Please let me know if anything further is required.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards
TOM BAILEY
[hidden email]

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/An-invitation-to-cruise-in-Ireland-next-season-tp472.html
To start a new topic under Rallies, Raids & Cruises: planning & places, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from DCA Forum, click here.
NAML
John Sharpe & Michy-Lou.
Loving Sailing
Reply | Threaded
|

Keith Muscott 1516
Administrator
Great news, John!

You have put your finger on the aspect that needs to be approached carefully. I think we need to establish a group of interested members and discuss which dates are most convenient for them as the first priority, then settle it with Tom and the LEYC – perhaps finalised at the time of the DCA planning rallies?

We seem to be fairly heavy on Spring and Autumn rallies in the NW this year, so I suppose June would have been a good time for us to go in 2016. Bill Haylock and his keen new group of Borderers have shown an interest in ambitious rallies, including the Kyles of Bute, but that one is scheduled for late August. Anyway, perhaps none of them has an interest in crossing the Irish Sea, so I may be getting beyond myself. South Coast members have their flagship meet at Cobnor in mid-August, so a convenient date for all may very well turn out to be one in June, 2017.

As I said to Tom Bailey at Beale, as long as we get half a dozen involved it would still be worth visiting, and I think their SC would be easy-going about small numbers. Very few took an interest in the Border Reivers meet initially and that turned out to be a instant classic. 

Regarding the crossing, Stranraer and Dublin are equidistant from Lough Erne, though it may be worthwhile to settle on just one of them and travel at the same time if there is a possibility of a group reduction. But that's a very long shot, and might not be worth the bother.

Keith

Reply | Threaded
|

RE: An invitation to cruise in Ireland next season

Bob Tarn 2572

Hi Keith

I am interested. I was in Southern Island last year with the UKWA and had a great time on Lough Derg. The organiser was able to arrange reduced rates but if you are towing a boat you are classed as freight and I found it significantly cheaper than standard car rate.

Bob

From: Keith Muscott 1516 [via DCA Forum] [mailto:ml-node+[hidden email]]
Sent: 10 June 2016 08:19
To: Robert Tarn <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: An invitation to cruise in Ireland next season

Great news, John!

You have put your finger on the aspect that needs to be approached carefully. I think we need to establish a group of interested members and discuss which dates are most convenient for them as the first priority, then settle it with Tom and the LEYC – perhaps finalised at the time of the DCA planning rallies?

We seem to be fairly heavy on Spring and Autumn rallies in the NW this year, so I suppose June would have been a good time for us to go in 2016. Bill Haylock and his keen new group of Borderers have shown an interest in ambitious rallies, including the Kyles of Bute, but that one is scheduled for late August. Anyway, perhaps none of them has an interest in crossing the Irish Sea, so I may be getting beyond myself. South Coast members have their flagship meet at Cobnor in mid-August, so a convenient date for all may very well turn out to be one in June, 2017.

As I said to Tom Bailey at Beale, as long as we get half a dozen involved it would still be worth visiting, and I think their SC would be easy-going about small numbers. Very few took an interest in the Border Reivers meet initially and that turned out to be a instant classic. 

Regarding the crossing, Stranraer and Dublin are equidistant from Lough Erne, though it may be worthwhile to settle on just one of them and travel at the same time if there is a possibility of a group reduction. But that's a very long shot, and might not be worth the bother.

Keith

http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/An-invitation-to-cruise-in-Ireland-next-season-tp472p475.html

To start a new topic under Rallies, Raids & Cruises: planning & places, email [hidden email]
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

Keith Muscott 1516
Administrator
It will be great to sail in company with you again, Bob, so I hope the arrangements will suit you. But we all need to have an input on the dates.

Concerning another rally: I'm hoping to set up another regular week at Abersoch right after Easter fortnight, as an annual venue and using the same house as before, now that Doug Heslop has relinquished the job and is, temporarily I hope, no longer sailing. I'm waiting to get the details from Mike Harrington, who is in the know, though I still have the phone numbers of the ladies who were caretakers of the house from previous visits, so I suppose I could open up negotiations independently.

What you've said about boats and trailers being classed as freight on the ferry is most interesting. Did you use Irish Ferries or Stena? I presume you crossed from Holyhead?

Keith

Reply | Threaded
|

Keith Muscott 1516
Administrator
(Just a gentle reminder: when you reply to the Forum by email, don't forget to strip everything from your post except your own fresh words before sending it, or everything previous is repeated and becomes a bit of a log jam.

I can't spare the time to go over the thread and clean it up just now as I'm going hell for leather with the summer Journal!)

Keith
Reply | Threaded
|

Bob Tarn 2572
In reply to this post by Keith Muscott 1516

Hi Keith

Easter Monday next year is 17th April and I will probably be sailing, with the UKWA, in the Norfolk Broads leaving home early Friday 28th returning on Saturday 6th May.

I like Abersoch but don’t think I will be able to do both.

I sailed from Holy Head to Dublin with Irish Ferries, I was towing the boat behind the campervan so the extra height as well as length may have made a difference.

Hope to see you soon.

Bob

Reply | Threaded
|

Keith Muscott 1516
Administrator
Fair enough! May 6th, when you return, will probably be hard on the heels of the Border Reivers 2017, judging by this year's dates – though we have gone to Kielder a week later in the past. Thanks for the date of Easter next year; I'll have to get my calendar out and do some forward planning!

Ireland looks very promising, anyway.

Keith

Reply | Threaded
|

Osbert Lancaster 2756
Administrator
Can't make any firm commitment at the moment, but definitely interested. It's an area I've often thought it would be great to sail.

Apart from sleeping on board, what are the camping possibilities? I'd imagine wild camping isn't an option?
"Selkie", a Drake rowing boat by Clint Chase
"Scratch", a Walkabout dinghy by John Welsford
Mainly sailing and rowing on the Firth of Forth
forthsailoar.osbert.org
Reply | Threaded
|

Gerald Turner 2924
I would love to go ,Ireland is one of my favourite places to go,but I can't commit myself unless there is a date, the Semain du Golfe runs in 2017, which will take my preference, so I would look towards Sept for me.

Non live aboard should not have a problem finding accommodation, the Irish are very hospitable,they likely find somewhere to camp or stay the night.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gerald Turner 2924
In regards to the Irish rally àt Lough Erne ,is there any more info re dates,? Early July would suit me, hopefully we would benefit from the best of the Summer at that time, or early September,but that does clash withe the Solent groups Cobnor week mid August
Reply | Threaded
|

Keith Muscott 1516
Administrator
Nothing definite yet, Gerald, but I had made a mental note to pursue the subject at this weekend's NW rally, at which at least two of us – John Sharpe and me – are keen. In the case of the NW group we need to be reasonably clear about possible dates by our NW planning meeting, which is invariably held in the first week of February. All dates are only set in stone at that meeting.

Judging your suggestions, I would commend early July, not September, as there are popular rallies like Ullswater Yacht Club around that time as well as the preceding Cobnor Week.

Keith

Reply | Threaded
|

Anne Rushton
I'd be very interested, GP14, so maybe camp, maybe other accommodation.
Early July as suggested elsewhere would be ideal for me. Anne Rushton
Reply | Threaded
|

Keith Muscott 1516
Administrator
Thanks for letting me know, Anne. Our Loch Erne host seems very keen and knows the place well, so I don't think camping or finding accommodation will be at all problematic.

I'll give the members another shove on the Forum, and perhaps include the letter our host posted in the Journal containing the invitation. But even if there are only a handful of us that won't diminish the enjoyment much – small groups are often as enjoyable as big ones, sometimes more so. No chance of a reduction for a group booking on the ferry, though!

Keith

-----Original Message-----
To: Keith Muscott 1516 <[hidden email]>
Sent: Sat, 4 Feb 2017 17:42

http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/An-invitation-to-cruise-in-Ireland-next-season-tp472p697.html
To start a new topic under Rallies, Raids & Cruises: planning & places, email ml-[hidden email]
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

Anne Rushton

Hi Keith

It looks like the weekends in July have the cheapest Stena fares from Liverpool, at  ~ £150 each way with boat.  Holyhead to Dublin is quite a bit more, either by Stena or Irish ferries.

Out 15th and return 22/23  (which is mid not early July) would be easiest for me.

Wednesday 5th to 12th is also possible but a bit more expensive.

Unfortunately we have three-line-whip training days at work on 13/14.

Note that the Battle of the Boyne is celebrated on 12th. Southport often has jolly fellows over from NI gathering on that day- not sure if it would affect ferries.

Regards

Anne

From: Keith Muscott 1516 [via DCA Forum] [mailto:ml-node+[hidden email]]
Sent: 07 February 2017 14:48
To: Anne Rushton <[hidden email]>

Thanks for letting me know, Anne. Our Loch Erne host seems very keen and knows the place well, so I don't think camping or finding accommodation will be at all problematic.

I'll give the members another shove on the Forum, and perhaps include the letter our host posted in the Journal containing the invitation. But even if there are only a handful of us that won't diminish the enjoyment much – small groups are often as enjoyable as big ones, sometimes more so. No chance of a reduction for a group booking on the ferry, though!

Keith

-----Original Message-----
To: Keith Muscott 1516 <[hidden email]>
Sent: Sat, 4 Feb 2017 17:42

http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/An-invitation-to-cruise-in-Ireland-next-season-tp472p697.html

To start a new topic under Rallies, Raids & Cruises: planning & places, email ml-[hidden email]
NAML

http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/An-invitation-to-cruise-in-Ireland-next-season-tp472p704.html

To unsubscribe from An invitation to cruise in Ireland next season, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

Paul Holdsworth 3279
I'm not able to get away for the organised rally to Lough Erne in July, but we've got time off later this month, so we're intending to take advantage of the LEYC hospitality for a week from 21/5.

I've been in touch with Tom at LEYC and he's been most obliging. We're in the Lakes, so we're taking the Cairnryan/Larne crossing.

As I'm there in advance of the July rally, do let me know if there's any useful info I can glean while I'm there. I'll report back when we return anyway.
Reply | Threaded
|

Paul Holdsworth 3279
Just back from a week on Lough Erne, based at LEYC.
We had a fabulous time, with excellent weather and lively winds (F4-5). The lough was a revelation - possibly the finest location for fresh water dinghy cruising anywhere. Literally hundreds of islands, dozens of immaculate public jetties that one can overnight on, and so quiet  - we routinely had entire islands to ourselves.
LEYC was wonderfully hospitable and welcoming, with superb facilities and extremely friendly members and officials - nothing was too much trouble. Also, the Guinness in the club bar was the best we had anywhere during our stay!
Camping space at the club is plentiful and of excellent quality, looking over a peaceful bay. And camping is also possible on some of the islands too.
We certainly intend to return - we only scratched the surface of what there is to explore - and would strongly urge members to make every effort to get there, either as part of the forthcoming rally, or separately.