classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
24 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Border Reiver Rally 10th - 17th May, Kielder & Loch Lomond

Bill Haylock 3130
Here are the detailed plans for the Border Reiver Rally, from  10th to 17th May

Please note that for the Loch Lomond part of the Rally, campsites must be booked ahead. This means I need commitment from participants and your campsite fees of £5 per night by 19th April. 

Let me know how many nights you want to book, and whether you want to book the wild campsite on Inchcailloch Island for the first night (see details below).

The first part of the rally, 10th - 12th May is at based at Kielder Water Sailing Club, Tower Knowe, Falstone, Hexham, Northumberland  NE48 1BX Falstone, Hexham, NE48 1BX, Northumberland
Grid Ref. NY 698 869.

The second part, from 13th to 17th May is on Loch Lomond, staying at Sallochy Forest campsite Sallochy Bay,  Rowardennan,  Loch Lomond G63 0AW, Grid Ref NS 379 957.

Kielder Water is the largest reservoir (by volume) in the Looking towards Inchcailloch and the east shore of Loch LomondUK, with a surface area of  4.2 square miles and a shoreline 27.5 miles long. It is a great place to cruise, with many bays and inlets. The club house is a cosy log cabin on the shore of the lake, with space to camp or park a campervan or caravan. The charge for this part of the rally, including the use of club facilities and Northumberland Water's access charge to the water is £15 per adult.

Loch Lomond is a huge expanse of water, 24 miles long and 27 sq miles in area. It has many lovely islands and a beautiful, wooded shoreline.

Sallochy campsite is in a semi-wild location away from the day trippers and caravanners that concentrate around the more southerly shores of the Loch.  It is roughly at the mid point of the Loch, so it provided a good base for a more adventurous cruising rally exploring the islands and northern part of Loch Lomond.  There aren't any facilities for boating at the campsite - which means we will avoid the powerboat and jetski brigade.

Launch Places
Option 1 is  to launch at the National Park's Duncan Mills Memorial Slipway (http://www.lochlomond-trossachs.org/visiting/loch-lomond/menu-id-266.html) at Balloch on the southern end of the Loch. This is where Park Rangers are based up to 9.30 in the evening and it has a dedicated trailer park with lock-down points as well  as parking for cars (all free of charge). There is a fee for launching boats with a car, but if launching by hand there is no charge (there should be enough of us to ensure we can launch all our boats by hand). We will then sail (or row if no wind) to Sallochy, a distance of 8.6 miles.  For those launching from this location, there is the option of camping on Inchcailloch Island wild campsite. There is a maximum number of 6 allowed for any one group at this site.

Option 2, for small boats, is to Launch at the National Park centre at Millarochy Bay, just North of Balmaha on the eastern shore of the Loch. There is a car park here, but no specific trailer park. This is just under 3 miles from Sallochy.

Please note that non-powered craft do not need to be registered. If you carry an outboard motor, however, you will have to register your boat and pay a fee at the National Park centre at Balloch.

Although cars can be parked at the campsite, the rules don't allow parking of trailers, so you need to leave your trailer at the launch point.  At night we will just carry our boats up the beach.  The nearest pubs to the campsite are a few miles down the road at Balmaha. The rules also forbid the public consumption of alcohol on the campsite. The campsite normally does not allow group bookings either, but they relented on this rule in our case because I wrote and told them how responsible and well behaved we are!

Any questions, ring me on 01661 836718, or email billhaylock@phonecoop.coop
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Border Reiver Rally 10th - 17th May, Kielder & Loch Lomond

Osbert Lancaster 2756
Administrator
Drat, drat, drat…

Was really looking forward to Loch Lomond, but unfortunately it clashes with a training course I'm doing. At least my training is out on the Cairngorms, so I'll not be too jealous.

Probably won't make Kielder either.
"Selkie", a Drake rowing boat by Clint Chase
"Scratch", a Walkabout dinghy by John Welsford
Mainly sailing and rowing on the Firth of Forth
forthsailoar.osbert.org
Reply | Threaded
|

Keith Muscott 1516
Administrator
The dates for the early Kielder rally have always been chosen with midges in mind, Osbert, and from what I know of Lomond the same should apply!

By the time you pass mid-May you are in danger of encountering them in flight and voracious ... Time we medicated a few and turned them loose to sterilise the rest. GM midges – sounds good to me.

Keith

Reply | Threaded
|

John Sharpe 2985
I've put my name down for kielder and Loch Lomond and will be sending my camping fees off shortly.

I'll be there from the 10th to 17th (special holiday pass), I have space for 2 or 3 crew if anyone fancies a taste of foreign waters without towing their boat 4 hours up the motorway, or sailing in unfamiliar waters.

Here's hoping for good winds and sunshine.

Regards
John
John Sharpe & Michy-Lou.
Loving Sailing
Reply | Threaded
|

Bill Haylock 3130
I look forward to seeing you again John!

Regards

Bill
Reply | Threaded
|

Matthew Cunningham 2577
In reply to this post by John Sharpe 2985
Hi John,

As I am currently "sans bateau", could I possibly take advantage of your offer for one day or possibly two for my wife and I at Kielder ?   We would camp ashore if that was OK with Bill/Kielder Sailing Club.

If other arrangements have been made since you posted this message don't worry, we'll catch up when the "bateau" is complete, hopefully june/august.

Cheers,

Matthew Cunningham

Reply | Threaded
|

Bill Haylock 3130
Hi Matthew,

Plenty of room to camp ashore, and you can sail in one of my boats too, if you like. Plenty of room in my Drascombe Longboat.

Bill
Reply | Threaded
|

Matthew Cunningham 2577
Sounds great Bill, I'll make some definite plans and let you know ASAP

Matt

On Saturday, 16 April 2016, 21:58, Bill Haylock 3130 [via DCA Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Matthew,

Plenty of room to camp ashore, and you can sail in one of my boats too, if you like. Plenty of room in my Drascombe Longboat.

Bill

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/Border-Reiver-Rally-10th-17th-May-Kielder-Loch-Lomond-tp320p343.html
To start a new topic under Rallies, Raids & Cruises: planning & places, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from DCA Forum, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

John Sharpe 2985
Hi Matthew,
You're more than welcome to join me aboard or take Bill's boat, either way it'll be great to see you again.

Sent from my iPad

On 16 Apr 2016, at 22:01, Matthew Cunningham 2577 [via DCA Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Sounds great Bill, I'll make some definite plans and let you know ASAP

Matt

On Saturday, 16 April 2016, 21:58, Bill Haylock 3130 [via DCA Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Matthew,

Bill

http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/Border-Reiver-Rally-10th-17th-May-Kielder-Loch-Lomond-tp320p343.html
To start a new topic under Rallies, Raids & Cruises: planning & places, email [hidden email]
NAML

http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/Border-Reiver-Rally-10th-17th-May-Kielder-Loch-Lomond-tp320p345.html
NAML
John Sharpe & Michy-Lou.
Loving Sailing
Reply | Threaded
|

Bill Haylock 3130
Just a reminder to anyone wanting to come on the Loch Lomond part of this Rally:  Due to a recent byelaw covering the eastern shore and islands of Loch Lomond, it is illegal to live aboard or camp wild in the area covered by the byelaw. This may seem oppressive, but Loch Lomond has had problems in summer with large groups camping wild, drinking excessively and trashing the place.
There are two fairly remote, basic and lovely campsites we plan to use, but they have to be booked in advance. Anyone wanting to take part in the Loch Lomond part of the rally, unless they have made other arrangements for accommodation, will need to notify me and send me a cheque for £5 x the number of nights you intend to stay, ASAP so I can book the campsites for you.

Send your cheque to me at West View, Horsley Road, Ovingham, Prudhoe, Northumberland NE42 6BG.

Bill Haylock
Reply | Threaded
|

John Sharpe 2985
Hi Bill,
What are the costs associated with Kielder Water (temp membership, launching fees)?
and what time are people planning to arrive on Tuesday?

Regards

John
John Sharpe & Michy-Lou.
Loving Sailing
Reply | Threaded
|

Keith Muscott 1516
Administrator
If things go according to plan I'll be at Kielder on Monday next – not especially early, mind! Afternoon/evening.

Keith

Reply | Threaded
|

Charlie Hitchen
In reply to this post by Bill Haylock 3130
I should be there on Tuesday morning about 10:30. Really looking forward to it. Weather looks good enough. See you all then.

Cheers,

Charlie Hitchen
Charlie Hitchen
"It's turned out nice again."
Reply | Threaded
|

Bill Haylock 3130
In reply to this post by John Sharpe 2985
The charge for the Kielder part of the rally is £15 for those not already a member of the club. This is for temp membership and registration with Northumbrian Water, the owners of the reservoir.

I look forward to seeing everyone there!

Bill
Reply | Threaded
|

John Sharpe 2985
Absolutely BRILLIANT week at these two venues. I've arrived home with a Mediterranean sun tan, unfortunately it's only face and hands.
Some photos to follow over the next few days.
John Sharpe & Michy-Lou.
Loving Sailing
Reply | Threaded
|

Charlie Hitchen
In reply to this post by Bill Haylock 3130
Brilliant week. Thanks, Bill for organising this outstanding rally and for the company of all those who attended.

Next year!!!

Cheers,

Charlie.
Charlie Hitchen
"It's turned out nice again."
Reply | Threaded
|

John Sharpe 2985
Here's a few pictures from the Border Reivers Meet:

John Sharpe & Michy-Lou.
Loving Sailing
Reply | Threaded
|

Bill Haylock 3130
and a few more...
Reply | Threaded
|

John Sharpe 2985
Just to prove this was an authentic Border Reivers Raid, here's a picture of some on the locals on Inchcailloch island:
John Sharpe & Michy-Lou.
Loving Sailing
Reply | Threaded
|

John Sharpe 2985
I've just been checking my GPS and over the course of the rally I sailed 96 miles, 39 on Kielder water and 57 on Loch Lomond. It's surprising how far you can travel with a fair wind.
John Sharpe & Michy-Lou.
Loving Sailing