Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Border Reiver Rally 2017

Bill Haylock 3130
This post was updated on .
Loch Lomond 2016
Here are the plans for the Border Reiver Rally, from  5th to 11th May 2017.

The first part of the rally, 5th - 7th May is at based at Kielder Water Sailing Club, Tower Knowe, Falstone, Hexham, Northumberland  NE48 1BX Falstone, Hexham, NE48 1BX, Northumberland
Grid Ref. NY 698 869.

The second part, from 8th to 11th May is on Loch Lomond, staying at Sallochy Forest campsite Sallochy Bay,  Rowardennan,  Loch Lomond G63 0AW, Grid Ref NS 379 957.

Kielder Water is the largest reservoir (by volume) in the UK, with a surface area of  4.2 square miles and a shoreline 27.5 miles long. It is a great place to cruise, with many bays and inlets. The club house is a cosy log cabin on the shore of the lake, with space to camp or park a campervan or caravan. The charge for this part of the rally, including the use of club facilities and Northumberland Water's access charge to the water is £15 per adult.

Loch Lomond is a huge expanse of water, 24 miles long and 27 sq miles in area. It has many lovely islands and a beautiful, wooded shoreline.

Sallochy campsite is in a semi-wild location away from the day trippers and caravanners that concentrate around the more southerly shores of the Loch.  It is roughly at the mid point of the Loch, so it provided a good base for a more adventurous cruising rally exploring the islands and northern part of Loch Lomond.  There aren't any facilities for boating at the campsite - which means we will avoid the powerboat and jetski brigade.

Launch Places

Option 1 is  to launch at the National Park's Duncan Mills Memorial Slipway (http://www.lochlomond-trossachs.org/things-to-do/water-activities/boating/slipways/) at Balloch on the southern end of the Loch. This is where Park Rangers are based up to 9.30 in the evening and it has a dedicated trailer park with lock-down points as well  as parking for cars (all free of charge). There is a fee for launching boats with a car, but if launching by hand there is no charge. We will then sail to Sallochy, a distance of 8.6 miles.  

Option 2, for small boats, is to Launch at the National Park centre at Millarochy Bay, just North of Balmaha on the eastern shore of the Loch. There is a car park here, but no specific trailer park. This is just under 3 miles from Sallochy. Please Note - I have just discovered that the Millarochy slipway was closed as from 1st April.

Boat Registration and camping rules
Please note that non-powered craft do not need to be registered. If you carry an outboard motor, however, you will have to register your boat and pay a fee at the National Park centre at Balloch.

Loch Lomond is subject to some controversial by-laws which over-ride the right to wild camp granted by the Scottish Access Code, so we have to camp on an organised campsite.  Sallochy is an attractive campsite, with minimal  facilities and is quiet on weekdays. Although cars can be parked at the campsite, the rules don't allow parking of trailers, so you need to leave your trailer at the launch point.  At night we will just carry our boats up the beach.  The nearest pubs to the campsite are a few miles down the road at Balmaha. The rules also forbid the public consumption of alcohol on the campsite. The campsite normally does not allow group bookings either, but they relented on this rule for us last year because I wrote and told them how responsible and well behaved we are! The campsite wardens were very friendly and welcoming and were happy to see us return this year.

The small band who took part last year had a very memorable and enjoyable time. See Charlie Hitchens' video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8M0rO3FAaE
And John Sharpe's video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCfWK5qJOig

Any questions, ring me on 01661 836718, or email billhaylock@phonecoop.coop

Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: Border Reiver Rally 2017

Steve Shone 3398
Count Eileen and myself in for that one please, Bill. Precisely the sort of thing we had in mind when we got the Whammel.
Do we need to book the campsite individually or is it a prearranged thing with the site wardens?

Steve
Steve and Eileen - ex-Dabber sailors, almost ex-Cape Cutter 19 sailors, now Lune Whammel Coastal Weekender sailors. Based in East Yorkshire and looking forward to some DCA rallies.
Reply | Threaded
|  

John Sharpe 2985
In reply to this post by Bill Haylock 3130
Hi Bill,
I'll be going again this year, I hope to arrive Friday evening sometime.
Looking forward to another great adventure.

Regards John
John Sharpe & Michy-Lou.
Loving Sailing
Reply | Threaded
|  

Bill Haylock 3130
That's great John - I look forward to seeing you again.

Bill
Reply | Threaded
|  

Bill Haylock 3130
In reply to this post by Steve Shone 3398
Hi Steve,

Excellent - I look forward to seeing you both! I will book the campsite - which will make sure we are all in the same part of the site. I will email you with details of the costs (which is very reasonable).

Bill
Reply | Threaded
|  

Steve Shone 3398
Thanks, Bill.
Just as a point of interest, I ordered the Loch Lomond navigation guide last week - £12 plus a couple of quid postage. It was described as an A3 so I had expected a single sheet. What arrived was a very detailed chart of several wire bound pages produced on very good quality, heavy paper. I thought it was an absolute bargain at the price and well worth buying.

Steve
Steve and Eileen - ex-Dabber sailors, almost ex-Cape Cutter 19 sailors, now Lune Whammel Coastal Weekender sailors. Based in East Yorkshire and looking forward to some DCA rallies.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Osbert Lancaster 2756
Administrator
Bill

Great to see you at Toberonochy this weekend - but my hope to attend Loch Lomond has been foiled by work and other commitments. Have a great time folks!

Osbert
"Selkie", a Drake rowing boat by Clint Chase
"Scratch", a Walkabout dinghy by John Welsford
Mainly sailing and rowing on the Firth of Forth
forthsailoar.osbert.org
Reply | Threaded
|  

Bill Haylock 3130
Thanks Osbert - sorry you can't make it to Loch Lomond

Bill
Reply | Threaded
|  

Steve Shone 3398
Just three boats went as far as Loch Lomond but still a great few days with superb weather. Thanks for organising the trip, Bill, and thanks for your company, John.

I also borrowed a celestial anchor light whilst I was there

Steve and Eileen