classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Close encounters of a Cetacean Kind - Sound of Raasay June 2016

Bill Haylock 3130
This post was updated on .
The link below takes you to a video of an encounter with a huge pod of bottle-nosed dolphins in the Sound of Raasay, while sailing from Raasay House to Camas Tianavaig on Skye, in my Drascombe Longboat Rubha Dubh on 22nd June 2016. They were all around us!

https://www.facebook.com/100000783409401/videos/vb.100000783409401/1277091612326940/?type=2&theater
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Close encounters of a Cetacean Kind - Sound of Raasay June 2016

Steve Shone 3398
Magical! I've had two porpoises rolling around my boat when fishing once, but never experienced that sight on the move. A marvellous sight.

Steve
Steve and Eileen - ex-Dabber sailors, almost ex-Cape Cutter 19 sailors, now Lune Whammel Coastal Weekender sailors. Based in East Yorkshire and looking forward to some DCA rallies.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bill Haylock 3130
In reply to this post by Bill Haylock 3130
Update: I reported the sighting to the Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust and they asked to see my video footage. I subesequently got the following reply from them:

Hi Bill,

Thanks for sending in your video clips, they are really useful for our research. These dolphins were swimming very quickly so it was difficult to positively identify them, but the clip 13443 shows nicely that they are common dolphins and if you go to 9 seconds into the clip, you will see that as they surface they have a long pointy beak and also a yellow patch down their sides. Bottlenose dolphins are much chunkier animals and have quite stubby beaks, they also tend to be seen in smaller pods.

What a fantastic encounter! Thanks again for sending across your videos and sharing your sighting.
All the best,

Pippa Garrard

Sightings Team

Community Engagement Officer
Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust
01688 302620
www.hwdt.org
Reply | Threaded
|

Bill Haylock 3130
In reply to this post by Bill Haylock 3130
The Hebridean Whale and Dolphin Trust have a sightings report page on their website where you can upload details of sightings, which helps with their research. They asked to see copies of my video files and have identified the animals as Common Dolphins, rather than Bottlenosed, as I had thought.