classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Comet duo or mirror?

Jez Searle
Hi everyone.  

I  am having thoughts about replacing my Mirror with a comet duo. I would like to hear your thoughts on this. Will the comet have any advantages over the Mirror or am I better off staying with what I have?  Has anyone here used a comet duo for cruising?  Was it any good?
Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Jez
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Comet duo or mirror?

Hubert Bakker 3415
The Comet Duo has quite a big rig: 9sqm compared to the 6.5sqm of the Mirror. According to the sailing instructions on their website, the Comet must be powered down beyond a F3 or F4 when sailing with a crew of two. So this is going to be quite a challenge if you are singlehanded.
For longer trips you need a lot of gear, the weight of which may vary between 30kg and 100kg depending on whether you take an extra anchor, water, 12V battery etc
So may want to draw up an equipment list using Roger Barnes' book 'The Dinghy Cruising Companion' and then do a weights calculation where all this equipment should go. Bear in mind that every item needs to be tied down or it will be lost in a capsize.
The Comet may be a better weight carrier due to its longer length, but as a singlehanded cruising dinghy a wooden Mirror may be easier to convert.
Sailing Hatseflats - 15ft Pram with Tirrik rig
http://home.casema.nl/khbakker