classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Cornish Crabber Cormorant 12

Osbert Lancaster 2756
Administrator
Request for information from a prospective member below. As only members can post and reply here, if you can advise, remember that Michael can't ask for clarification etc.

Sorry, I am not yet a member.  My wife and I are considering getting a new Cornish Crabber Cormorant 12 with the balanced lug rig.  However, it is a lot to spend and I had been unable to find any independent reviews or tests of it.  I had hoed to ask in the forum if any members had any experience of the boat or opinions.  If I can't post int he forum without being a member, I quite understand.  However, it would be nice if you could tell me anything about this particular boat.  Do any members own one?  How does it perform?

We have some limited sailing experience and know that we want simplicity, speed of launching/rigging, stability, and character, but we also want a boat that sails respectably.  The unstayed mast and traditional hull shape appeal.  The simplicity of a single sail appeals particularly to my wife for solo use.

Any advice you could give would be welcome.

Thanks.

Michael

Osbert
"Selkie", a Drake rowing boat by Clint Chase
"Scratch", a Walkabout dinghy by John Welsford
Mainly sailing and rowing on the Firth of Forth
forthsailoar.osbert.org
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Cornish Crabber Cormorant 12

Roger Barnes 936
He could ask on the DCA Facebook group.

On 10 May 2017, at 10:07, Osbert Lancaster 2756 [via DCA Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Request for information from a prospective member below. As only members can post and reply here, if you can advise, remember that Michael can't ask for clarification etc.

Sorry, I am not yet a member.  My wife and I are considering getting a new Cornish Crabber Cormorant 12 with the balanced lug rig.  However, it is a lot to spend and I had been unable to find any independent reviews or tests of it.  I had hoed to ask in the forum if any members had any experience of the boat or opinions.  If I can't post int he forum without being a member, I quite understand.  However, it would be nice if you could tell me anything about this particular boat.  Do any members own one?  How does it perform?

We have some limited sailing experience and know that we want simplicity, speed of launching/rigging, stability, and character, but we also want a boat that sails respectably.  The unstayed mast and traditional hull shape appeal.  The simplicity of a single sail appeals particularly to my wife for solo use.

Thanks.

Michael

Osbert
forthsailoar.osbert.org

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/Cornish-Crabber-Cormorant-12-tp849.html
To start a new topic under Dinghies for Cruising: choosing, acquiring & using, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from DCA Forum, click here.
NAML

Roger Barnes
President
Dinghy Cruising Association

president@dinghycruising.org.uk
Reply | Threaded
|

Elizabeth Baker
In reply to this post by Osbert Lancaster 2756
Regarding the request from non-member Michael about the New Cormorant, I know of only one member, David Fee, who sails one fom Gosport, and his is the Gunter version, with jib, bowsprit and stayed mast. I have met him only once sailing his boat, so don't really know how he gets on with it. My own Cormorant is the original one, which is no longer built and so only available second-hand, and I have no experience of the New Cormorant apart from a brief sail on Beale Park Lake. I can say my own Cormorant is a good stable boat, and easy to sail, but very heavy to handle ashore. This is acceptable if you use your car when necessary to help with launching/recovery. I can only asssume the New Cormorant would be similar. I have to say I am very happy with my Original Cormorant, which I have been sailing for 20 years now.
Liz Baker
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, May 10, 2017 10:07 AM
Subject: Cornish Crabber Cormorant 12

Thanks.

Michael

Osbert
forthsailoar.osbert.org

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/Cornish-Crabber-Cormorant-12-tp849.html
To start a new topic under Dinghies for Cruising: choosing, acquiring & using, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from DCA Forum, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

Osbert Lancaster 2756
Administrator
Osbert,

I have just placed an order for the Cormorant.

Please post my thanks to those who responded in the forum.

Cash flow is now a bit tight but once the boat has arrived, insured, etc., I plan to join the DCA.

Thank you for your help.

Michael
forthsailoar.osbert.org