classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

DCA Member Critically Ill

Keith Muscott 1516
Administrator
I'm relaying some sad news about a DCA member, Peter Lord, #2909, of Uppsala, Sweden.

Wojtek Baginski of Warsaw emailed me to say that Peter's family has been in touch following what appears to have been an intracerebral hemorrhage; Peter has suffered extensive bleeding throughout the brain during an episode that struck while he was at home, and he is now in hospital receiving palliative care. His wife and a couple of friends were with him when it happened. He was transferred immediately to hospital and has had two sessions of MRI. Gunilla and friends are now constantly with him, but he remains unconscious.

A number of DCA members know Peter and have sailed in company with him on rallies / raids organised by 'The Baltic Division' over the years, especially in Poland and Sweden – including me. Peter is Australian, but he has lived and worked in Uppsala for well over twenty years, lecturing in veterinary anaesthetics; his wife Gunilla is Swedish.

I took the next issue of the journal, DC238, to the printer last week, so formal news of Peter will be in DC239 now.

It seems that his chances of recovery are minimal, probably non-existent. I am very sorry about this. He always gave me the impression that he would be around forever, sailing VIPS, his Apple 16, a fine cruising boat drawn by Tom Dunderdale of Campion Sail & Design, and built by himself. Peter built a number of other boats over the years; one of the most impressive was a large Wharram catamaran that he put together on the New York waterfront when he worked in the US for a while.

I will pass on to Gunilla the DCA's sincere condolences.

Keith
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: DCA Member Critically Ill

Keith Muscott 1516
Administrator
Just heard that Peter gained consciousness for a while today, and was able to speak briefly to those with him, so let's hope that I've formed an exaggerated idea of the seriousness of his condition. Wojtek is being kept in the picture by those close to him and will, I hope, stay in touch.

Keith