Deletion of Past Rally Arrangement Topics

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Deletion of Past Rally Arrangement Topics

John Lidstone 1503
It would seem to me to be a good idea to delete old threads such as past rally arrangements from the forum. As the originator of the Forder rally topic, it looks like I may be able to do this within my options tab.
As I'm not au fait with forum etiquette, is this good practice?

Regards

John

p.s. I know someone else suggested this recently but I can't find the thread!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Deletion of Past Rally Arrangement Topics

Osbert Lancaster 2756
Administrator
Hi John

If I remember correctly, anyone who:
- creates a post can delete their post
- starts a thread, can delete the entire thread (though I'd need to log in with a non-admin account to check and supper is nearly ready!)

As far as etiquette goes, I've no strong feelings. I imagine old threads might be useful for people organising future events in the same location. If they're not causing any problem or confusion, I'd be inclined to leave them.

I'll leave it to the creators to do this if they want. I don't have time to do that! (Though happy to step in if there's anything that is causing a problem that the creator can't sort out.)

Cheers

Osbert
"Selkie", a Drake rowing boat by Clint Chase
"Scratch", a Walkabout dinghy by John Welsford
Mainly sailing and rowing on the Firth of Forth
forthsailoar.osbert.org
Reply | Threaded
|

Roger Barnes 936
Dear Osbert
Is there a way of posting to the forum directly by email?
Roger

From Roger Barnes by mobile

On 8 May 2016, at 19:31, Osbert Lancaster 2756 [via DCA Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi John

If I remember correctly, anyone who:
- creates a post can delete their post
- starts a thread, can delete the entire thread (though I'd need to log in with a non-admin account to check and supper is nearly ready!)

As far as etiquette goes, I've no strong feelings. I imagine old threads might be useful for people organising future events in the same location. If they're not causing any problem or confusion, I'd be inclined to leave them.

I'll leave it to the creators to do this if they want. I don't have time to do that! (Though happy to step in if there's anything that is causing a problem that the creator can't sort out.)

Cheers

Osbert
forthsailoar.osbert.org

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/Deletion-of-Past-Rally-Arrangement-Topics-tp378p381.html
To start a new topic under FAQs & Forum Issues, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from DCA Forum, click here.
NAML
Roger Barnes
President
Dinghy Cruising Association

president@dinghycruising.org.uk
Reply | Threaded
|

Osbert Lancaster 2756
Administrator
Yes!

How to post by email:
http://x6.nabble.com/help/Answer.jtp?id=45
forthsailoar.osbert.org
Reply | Threaded
|

John Hughes 2457
It appears that it is not possible for the person who starts a topic to delete the whole thread of the topic, but only the original post that started the thread. Subsequent posts from others to the thread remain, and thus become even more redundant in the absence of the original post. Is there a way to delete the residual thread?
See: "Hilbre rally, Fri 17th June to Sun 19th June 2016" under "Rallies, Raids & Cruises: planning & places", below.
Reply | Threaded
|

Keith Muscott 1516
Administrator
Having now quickly and successfully deleted threads on my own behalf and at the request of others, I'm perfectly happy to do this housekeeping chore should anyone else need a thread wiping out together with their own initiating email. And not just rally topics, but any post.
You'll probably get a jittery automated email from the website soon afterwards to tell you that your thread has been obliterated by person or persons unknown ...

Keith