Demise of Yahoo Groups.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Demise of Yahoo Groups.

Graham Neil 2971
Members might be aware that Yahoo Groups as we know them are about to disappear very soon.

A Message on the Home Page of the Dinghy Cruising Solent Group reads;

"Attention: Starting December 14, 2019 Yahoo Groups will no longer host user created content on its sites. New content can no longer be uploaded after October 28, 2019. Sending/Receiving email functionality is not going away, you can continue to communicate via any email client with your group members."
It goes on to say;
"Yahoo has made the decision to no longer allow users to upload content to the Yahoo Groups site. Beginning October 28 you won't be able to upload any more content to the site, and as of December 14 all previously posted content on the site will be permanently removed. You'll have until that date to save anything you've uploaded."

So Yahoo will continue to exist solely as an e-mailing list.  
Any archive material held in Yahoo Groups will have to be recovered and stored elsewhere or be lost.

My question is two fold.
How do other regions around the country communicate to arrange rallies etc, and store documents or share photographs?
and
Is it technically possible to create separate Sub-forums within the DCA WEB site for each region bringing all DCA members communication under the one umbrella which members could chose to subscribe to?

I can think of a number of advantages to this and would be interested to hear if it is possible and what members' thoughts might be.

Best Regards.
Graham

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Demise of Yahoo Groups.

Paul Hadley 2898
Administrator
For me a sub-forum for "Solent" here ìs a no-brainer.

Likewise "North West", "Thames", "Southwest" and other regions where a cluster of members organise events.

If Australia can be in Eurovision......

As forums grow, a hierarchy of sub forums will follow. This is common across many hobbies and special interest groups.

Popular forum sites have a wide range of sub forums, there is always room for generic chatter of course.

Paul
Reply | Threaded
|

Alg Bennett 3435
What is the plan for the external read only site for all of the old data?

I believe this nabble hosted forum technically has unlimited space so photos and filed etc could be uploaded here - not sure of any process for doing that however.

For the messages, they are text only and could be broken out into manageable chunks and again either filed here or hosted as flat HTML files quite easily no problem.
Reply | Threaded
|

Paul Hadley 2898
Administrator
Alg,
When we know this server's storage space we can decide the correct balance of data, inside verses external. You and myself seem to be the two most interested on deciding the technical options.

The Nabble site claims there is no limit on disk space, so we might be able to copy everything here!
The photos have the greatest social value, there is a tradition of a group photo at every event.
The files are packed with valuable information - they should be copied 100%.

I created a topic for the DCS group's move in the DCA business section:
http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/Yahoo-Group-Dinghy-Cruising-Solent-move-tp1876.html

Cheers
Paul

PS I have done Admin on the HBBR Nabble site for years. Many DCA boat builders hang out there. Google "HBBR"