classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Dinghy Cruising No.242, Summer

Keith Muscott 1516
Administrator
The CD of the summer issue is with the printer but I am not sure now when the magazine will be issued.

Chris Gibbs, the printer, has suffered a bizarre accident at work that resulted in his having a drawing pin embedded in an eye; at first it looked likely to blind him. From what I have heard from Print Works, that danger may be past, but he is not yet ready to return to serious work. The company have taken the opportunity to devote next week to a shut-down in which they will spend the time on much-needed machine servicing, onsite 'housework', etc. Thereafter we have the usual Bank Holiday Monday delay, of course.

Their secretarial staff suggest that they may be able to get DC242 out in the first week of September, but I am not holding my breath. I think that is unfeasibly optimistic under the circumstances. I have urged them to keep in close contact with me.

I have made a start on the Autumn issue, and I will proceed as though everything will come right soon; let's hope my hope is justified. I have thought hard about this, and the only reasonable approach is to sit tight and hope they can quickly resolve their difficulty. Even if I knew of another company that would take on the job as an urgent one-off, I'm sure they would charge the earth and the quality of the work would be an unknown quantity until we saw the result. More importantly, it would be a financially damaging act of disloyalty on my part to a company which has served us well for ten years, at a time when they need support.

I am considering offering to send a pdf of DC242 to anyone who wants it in the meantime: perhaps a better idea would be to post it on here in the business section, which is accessible only to paid-up members, so it can be downloaded. The size of the light pdf is only 8MB. Please note, however, that I will not be able to do anything about this immediately, as I am off to Ullswater tomorrow, then Cobnor followed by Traeth Bach. Watch this space. If any of the DCA officers who already have a pdf of 242 wish to place it here, all well and good; it doesn't have to be me.

I will also post this on dinghysolent to reach as many as possible. If Graham Neil could copy it to the FaceBook page that might also be very helpful.

Sorry about this, and fingers crossed.

Keith
Reply | Threaded
|

RE: Dinghy Cruising No.242, Summer

Graham Neil 2971

Posted on FB as requested.

I think your proposal to hang fire and give the printer some support is the correct way forward.

Have a great time, see you at Cobnor.

Graham.

Sent from my Xperia by Sony smartphone

---- Keith Muscott 1516 [via DCA Forum] wrote ----

The CD of the summer issue is with the printer but I am not sure now when the magazine will be issued.

Chris Gibbs, the printer, has suffered a bizarre accident at work that resulted in his having a drawing pin embedded in an eye; at first it looked likely to blind him. From what I have heard from Print Works, that danger may be past, but he is not yet ready to return to serious work. The company have taken the opportunity to devote next week to a shut-down in which they will spend the time on much-needed machine servicing, onsite 'housework', etc. Thereafter we have the usual Bank Holiday Monday delay, of course.

Their secretarial staff suggest that they may be able to get DC242 out in the first week of September, but I am not holding my breath. I think that is unfeasibly optimistic under the circumstances. I have urged them to keep in close contact with me.

I have made a start on the Autumn issue, and I will proceed as though everything will come right soon; let's hope my hope is justified. I have thought hard about this, and the only reasonable approach is to sit tight and hope they can quickly resolve their difficulty. Even if I knew of another company that would take on the job as an urgent one-off, I'm sure they would charge the earth and the quality of the work would be an unknown quantity until we saw the result. More importantly, it would be a financially damaging act of disloyalty on my part to a company which has served us well for ten years, at a time when they need support.

I am considering offering to send a pdf of DC242 to anyone who wants it in the meantime: perhaps a better idea would be to post it on here in the business section, which is accessible only to paid-up members, so it can be downloaded. The size of the light pdf is only 8MB. Please note, however, that I will not be able to do anything about this immediately, as I am off to Ullswater tomorrow, then Cobnor followed by Traeth Bach. Watch this space. If any of the DCA officers who already have a pdf of 242 wish to place it here, all well and good; it doesn't have to be me.

I will also post this on dinghysolent to reach as many as possible. If Graham Neil could copy it to the FaceBook page that might also be very helpful.

Sorry about this, and fingers crossed.

Keith

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/Dinghy-Cruising-No-242-Summer-tp1801.html
To start a new topic under Flotsam & Jetsam: Everything else dinghy cruising, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from DCA Forum, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Dinghy Cruising No.242, Summer

Keith Muscott 1516
Administrator
Graham

I have an awful confession to make. I picked up the wrong pdf of DC242 from my desktop and you (and all the officers of the association!) got the proofing copy I produced first for reading and correcting. So it is full of uncorrected mistakes! I have attached the right one to this email. I hope you don't mind doing the honours again on FaceBook... now to find a stone to crawl under.

By the way, many thanks for your good wishes and support for my decision re: the Printer. See you at Cobnor; I owe you a pint (at least).

Keith

-----Original Message-----
To: Keith Muscott 1516 <[hidden email]>
Sent: Thu, 15 Aug 2019 14:09
Subject: RE: Dinghy Cruising No.242, Summer

I think your proposal to hang fire and give the printer some support is the correct way forward.
Graham.

To start a new topic under Flotsam & Jetsam: Everything else dinghy cruising, email [hidden email]
NAML

http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/Dinghy-Cruising-No-242-Summer-tp1801p1802.html
To unsubscribe from Dinghy Cruising No.242, Summer, click here.

Dinghy_Cruising_242_Summer_2019_CORRECTED_LIGHT.pdf (10M) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Dinghy Cruising No.242, Summer

Elizabeth Baker
Hi Keith,
I have now uploaded the corrected version of the Bulletin to dinghysolent. Somebody else seems to have deleted the uncorrected version. I will wait to read it until I have the hard copy in hand. See you next week. I might not be there when you arrive at Cobnor, but will be back at the week-end. Jennifer has the detailed Cobnor info.
Liz
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, August 15, 2019 4:22 PM
Subject: Re: Dinghy Cruising No.242, Summer

Graham

I have an awful confession to make. I picked up the wrong pdf of DC242 from my desktop and you (and all the officers of the association!) got the proofing copy I produced first for reading and correcting. So it is full of uncorrected mistakes! I have attached the right one to this email. I hope you don't mind doing the honours again on FaceBook... now to find a stone to crawl under.

By the way, many thanks for your good wishes and support for my decision re: the Printer. See you at Cobnor; I owe you a pint (at least).

Keith

-----Original Message-----
To: Keith Muscott 1516 <[hidden email]>
Sent: Thu, 15 Aug 2019 14:09
Subject: RE: Dinghy Cruising No.242, Summer

Graham.

NAML

http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/Dinghy-Cruising-No-242-Summer-tp1801p1802.html
To unsubscribe from Dinghy Cruising No.242, Summer, click here.

Dinghy_Cruising_242_Summer_2019_CORRECTED_LIGHT.pdf (10M) Download Attachment

http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/Dinghy-Cruising-No-242-Summer-tp1801p1803.html
NAML

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2013.0.3556 / Virus Database: 4793/15883 - Release Date: 08/14/18
Internal Virus Database is out of date.