9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Essential clothing

Dave Foote 3426
Hi All

Can anybody advise on the best gear to go for?  (by "best" I mean in terms of both value and performance)

Since we now almost have a boat to sail, we need to get equipped.  

Firstly weatherproof stuff:  (Any answers can exclude wetsuits as we have then already.)  I would most appreciate advice about the sort of two piece "coastal" suits that seem common.  I have never used such a thing before.

Secondly lifejackets to suit the female form.  My wife has found that the common style of inflating lifejacket does not sit comfortably on the "upper body" - I am sure that there must be many other ladies who have faced a similar challenge?  Is there a good one out there?

Final point is that I am tall, and my wife average in height.

Many thanks

Dave
Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: Essential clothing

John Lidstone 1503

Hi Dave,

This was my personal experience-

My wife found the same problem and finally settled on a Plastimo self inflating. I can only suggest that you keep trying different ones on.

I went for unlined salopettes because I was wading knee deep to beach the dinghy (12inch draught) and these drain and dry quicker. Lined will be easier to get on and warmer for serious coastal work if you really need it.

I am 6 ft / 85kg and found that Gill tend to suit taller thinner people.

John

From: Dave Foote 3426 [via DCA Forum] <ml-node+[hidden email]>
Sent: 14 March 2017 10:55
To: John Lidstone 1503
Subject: Essential clothing

Hi All

Can anybody advise on the best gear to go for?  (by "best" I mean in terms of both value and performance)

Firstly weatherproof stuff:  (Any answers can exclude wetsuits as we have then already.)  I would most appreciate advice about the sort of two piece "coastal" suits that seem common.  I have never used such a thing before.

Secondly lifejackets to suit the female form.  My wife has found that the common style of inflating lifejacket does not sit comfortably on the "upper body" - I am sure that there must be many other ladies who have faced a similar challenge?  Is there a good one out there?

Many thanks

Dave

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/Essential-clothing-tp758.html

forum.dinghycruising.org.uk
Essential clothing. Hi All Can anybody advise on the best gear to go for? (by "best" I mean in terms of both value and performance) Since we now almost have a boat to sail, we need to get...

To start a new topic under Flotsam & Jetsam: Everything else dinghy cruising, email ml-node+[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from DCA Forum, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|  

Roger Barnes 936
In reply to this post by Dave Foote 3426
I would advise against wetsuits as well as self-inflating life jackets (which simply prevent you swimming or clambering back into a dinghy). Some members like drysuits. I don’t.

For waterproofs - look at Guy Cotten's straightforward yellow oilies.

For lifejackets - look at Baltic gilets.

Seaboots - look at Aigle.

For all other garments go to an outdoor shop like Blacks or Millets, rather than a sailing shop. Merino wool underwear, walking trousers, fleece tops.

- Roger

On 14 Mar 2017, at 10:55, Dave Foote 3426 [via DCA Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi All

Many thanks

Dave

http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/Essential-clothing-tp758.html
To start a new topic under Flotsam & Jetsam: Everything else dinghy cruising, email [hidden email]
NAML

Roger Barnes
President
Dinghy Cruising Association

president@dinghycruising.org.uk
Reply | Threaded
|  

Dave Foote 3426
In reply to this post by John Lidstone 1503
John

Thanks - could you identify the Plastimo model/spec for me?  I have had a quick look and there are lots... (of course)

Dave
Reply | Threaded
|  

John Lidstone 1503

Hi Dave,

My wife's is a Plastimo Pilot 150 with harness attachment. Laying one on top of the other, the chest belt seems to be about 1 1/2 inch lower than my own Baltic 150. I think this allows it to sit under the area in question!

I do have sympathy with Roger's comment about being able to climb back on board a capsized dinghy. My boat, being a 600kg 6m trimaran is pretty stable and dare I say, a capsize unlikely. If it did happen, usual dinghy righting drill would be out of the question and a long spell in the water could be expected. Climbing on the upturned boat would the only option. Now I am talking about it, I see that I need to think how that might be done - perhaps with a ready positioned stirrup.

For my own lifejacket, I chose a manual inflation valve to give me a choice about climbing back on board. This, of course, would be no use if I was unconscious but I'm balancing the possibilities here. I usually clip on if the wave motion makes me feel vulnerable. Thinking again. I should probably carry a knife in case I do suffer a capsize.

Actually, it's all too scary and I'm giving up sailing!

John

Sent: 14 March 2017 15:50
Subject: Re: Essential clothing

John

Thanks - could you identify the Plastimo model/spec for me?  I have had a quick look and there are lots... (of course)

Dave

http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/Essential-clothing-tp758p761.html

Essential clothing. Hi All Can anybody advise on the best gear to go for? (by "best" I mean in terms of both value and performance) Since we now almost have a boat to sail, we need to get...

To start a new topic under Flotsam & Jetsam: Everything else dinghy cruising, email ml-node+[hidden email]
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|  

RE: Essential clothing

Graham Neil 2971

Hi,

Some of the south coast DCA members have been trialling these fladen floatation suits.

They come as one or two piece suits.

They are designed for rig and dockside workers, have built in buoyancy, and are much cheaper than yachty gear.

http://www.aspli.com/products/938/fladen-flotation-suit-rescue-system-one-piece?gclid=CPfy9u291tICFYY4GwodAecBtw

At least one member can attest to the effectiveness of the floatation.

Regards

Graham  

From: John Lidstone 1503 [via DCA Forum] [mailto:[hidden email]]
Sent: 14 March 2017 16:57
To: Graham Neil 2971

Hi Dave,

My wife's is a Plastimo Pilot 150 with harness attachment. Laying one on top of the other, the chest belt seems to be about 1 1/2 inch lower than my own Baltic 150. I think this allows it to sit under the area in question!

I do have sympathy with Roger's comment about being able to climb back on board a capsized dinghy. My boat, being a 600kg 6m trimaran is pretty stable and dare I say, a capsize unlikely. If it did happen, usual dinghy righting drill would be out of the question and a long spell in the water could be expected. Climbing on the upturned boat would the only option. Now I am talking about it, I see that I need to think how that might be done - perhaps with a ready positioned stirrup.

For my own lifejacket, I chose a manual inflation valve to give me a choice about climbing back on board. This, of course, would be no use if I was unconscious but I'm balancing the possibilities here. I usually clip on if the wave motion makes me feel vulnerable. Thinking again. I should probably carry a knife in case I do suffer a capsize.

John

John

Dave

NAML

http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/Essential-clothing-tp758p762.html

To start a new topic under Flotsam & Jetsam: Everything else dinghy cruising, email [hidden email]
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|  

Roger Barnes 936
In reply to this post by John Lidstone 1503
We capsized Avel Dro crossing Bideford bar last September in 10m seas. Both of us were wearing the Baltic gilets, and found them very effective in this “real world” emergency.

On 14 Mar 2017, at 16:56, John Lidstone 1503 [via DCA Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Dave,

John

From: Dave Foote 3426 [via DCA Forum] <ml-node+<a href="x-msg://85/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=762&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]>

John

Dave

To start a new topic under Flotsam & Jetsam: Everything else dinghy cruising, email ml-node+<a href="x-msg://85/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=762&amp;i=1" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]
NAML

NAML

Roger Barnes
President

Reply | Threaded
|  

Roger Barnes 936
In reply to this post by Graham Neil 2971
I have to say, I like the look of them! I’d be interested to see one in use.

On 14 Mar 2017, at 17:07, Graham Neil 2971 [via DCA Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

Some of the south coast DCA members have been trialling these fladen floatation suits.

They come as one or two piece suits.

They are designed for rig and dockside workers, have built in buoyancy, and are much cheaper than yachty gear.

http://www.aspli.com/products/938/fladen-flotation-suit-rescue-system-one-piece?gclid=CPfy9u291tICFYY4GwodAecBtw

At least one member can attest to the effectiveness of the floatation.

Regards

Graham  

From: John Lidstone 1503 [via DCA Forum] [mailto:<a href="x-msg://88/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=763&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]]
Sent: 14 March 2017 16:57
To: Graham Neil 2971

Hi Dave,

John

From: Dave Foote 3426 [via DCA Forum] <ml-node+<a href="x-msg://88/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=762&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]>

John

Dave

To start a new topic under Flotsam & Jetsam: Everything else dinghy cruising, email ml-node+<a href="x-msg://88/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=762&amp;i=1" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]
NAML

To start a new topic under Flotsam & Jetsam: Everything else dinghy cruising, email <a href="x-msg://88/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=763&amp;i=1" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]
NAML

http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/Essential-clothing-tp758p763.html
NAML

Roger Barnes
President

Reply | Threaded
|  

John Hughes 2457
In reply to this post by Dave Foote 3426
I have owned an Uno drysuit from Ravenspring, Totnes, Devon, now for nearly 15 years! It has been one of the best pieces of sailing clothing I ever bought. I sail a catamaran which can be very wet, so very worthwhile. You can specify sealed in boots and a fly zip (essential for prolonged periods). You may think the neck seal would be uncomfortable for prolonged periods, but I found it not. I even slept in mine once. I've kept it serviceable by repeated replacement of the latex neck and cuff seals (which perish after 2 or 3 years), but now the breathable/waterproof membrane has perished too and is long gone, but the suit still serves well as waders and a good splash-proof garment. However, they are expensive, and I've decided not to replace it. Coincidentally, this week I've just ordered myself a new Fladen floatation suit, I've yet to try it. Otherwise, routinely, I always have a suit of fisherman's yellow PVC oilies in the hold.