4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

First sail on the solent

Rob Stracey 2676
Hi all.
Having only ever sailed on the solent in a yacht or a container ship, I am a little nervous of going somewhere so crowded in my little mirror!  However i have decided to take the plunge and try to sail across to the Isle of Wight in a few weeks time.

What I would like advice on where best to launch (where I can leave car and trailer for a few days, preferably reasonably priced), and where best to head for. (Preferably near a pub)

I'm aware of your strange tides, but is there anything else i ought to know?

Cheers,
Rob.
Cheers,
Rob
Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: First sail on the solent

Michael Wilkinson 3461
You may already be aware of this site, but just in case you're not:

http://www.boatlaunch.co.uk/#/map

I have not used this anywhere near the Solent but I have found it useful on several occasions elsewhere.

Drag your intended cruising area to the centre of the screen then zoom in.  The closer you zoom in, the more "flags" appear on the screen, each one denoting a launch point.  Cllck the flag and you get more information, which often includes a description of the slipway, how it is affected by tides, whom to pay, price, and so on.
Reply | Threaded
|  

John Lidstone 1503

Michael,

Thank you. A useful resource and looks correct for the slips I know around Saltash. Now added to my favourites!

Cheers

John

From: Michael Wilkinson 3461 [via DCA Forum] <ml+[hidden email]>
Sent: 03 June 2017 09:54
To: John Lidstone 1503
Subject: Re: First sail on the solent

You may already be aware of this site, but just in case you're not:

http://www.boatlaunch.co.uk/#/map

I have not used this anywhere near the Solent but I have found it useful on several occasions elsewhere.

Drag your intended cruising area to the centre of the screen then zoom in.  The closer you zoom in, the more "flags" appear on the screen, each one denoting a launch point.  Cllck the flag and you get more information, which often includes a description of the slipway, how it is affected by tides, whom to pay, price, and so on.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/First-sail-on-the-solent-tp926p929.html

To start a new topic under Rallies, Raids & Cruises: planning & places, email ml+[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from DCA Forum, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|  

bamford.roger18@gmail.com
In reply to this post by Rob Stracey 2676
Hi Rob.  The place I know best for launching and a secure/cheap place to leave car and trailer is Northney Marina on Hayling Island. When I was last there in 2015 the only charge was for launching and recovery, the parking was free and you can use their showers etc. If the weather is not suitable for the crossing, ( I would make for Bembridge, approx. 6 to 7 miles in a straight line), there will plenty of sailing within Chichester Harbour and lovely places to overnight, if you are sleeping on board. If you don't have any charts the Admiralty Leisure series is very good. Happy cruising.
Roger Bamford. 2788.