classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

For Sail - Cruising GP14 and GP14 double stacker road trailer

sw13644
This post was updated on .
I have two (consecutively numbered) Don Marine Mk!V FRP GP14’s, which I have owned for 8 years and extensively sailed (and raced).

To get both my wife and both kids on the water at the same time I built a double stacking road trailer to carry my two GP14’s and two Toppers (yes, four boats) on the trailer, and now that my kids now want to sail on their own I have one of the GP14’s and the double stacker for sale.

GP14 13291

In the foreground

It's the boat in the foreground (at Hope Cove, having sailed round from Salcombe).

The GP14 that I am selling is strictly out of class in that there should be side seats inboard of the thwart, and this one does not have them, so strictly speaking it’s not in class for racing. It is, however, very ready for trailing and cruising.

13291 on a run

Can be rigged quickly - simple rigging - nothing unnecessary
Reliable rigging - shackles (and not fast-pins or clevis pins) on the main rigging points
Can’t break the boat through over-tensioning the rig - Dyneema jib halyard and 6:1 purchase on the rig tension means enough can be applied, but not too much.

Super fast reefing while afloat - a single rope only is required to reef the mainsail (which can be reefed while under way) and the reef can be shaken out while under way.
Balanced reefing - the single deep slab reef in the mainsail balances with the jib, the full main balances with the genoa
Will not easily invert (but will still, nevertheless, invert) - masthead buoyancy is provided using a closed cell foam pad at the top of the mainsail.
More than one mainsail available.
Simple mainsheet arrangement - handmade twin tail centre mainsheet
Easy to control - high quality centre mainsheet jammer
Less likely to have a rope jam - reduced  chances of twist and jamming on the main and jibsheets with Polilite on all sheets
Less likely for the jib to catch the shrouds in a tack (which could capsize the boat) with a Jib to Jib Sheet connection using a dyneema soft shackle and dyneema loops sewn into the end of the jibsheet.
Easy to control when lee shore landing - Jib furling

Basic spinnaker arrangement with spinnaker and spinnaker pole

Can stand on the end of the centreboard when righting the boat - especially hand built centreboard, laminated Utile and American Redwood, then sheathed in glass and epoxy, then varnished. The strongest and lightest design for a GP14 centreboard and £500 to buy (£280 to make) and the pictures of me making it are on the GP14 Cruising site.

Centreboard

Recover and sail quickly following a capsize - double skin floor is self-draining following a capsize (These are Don Marine MK1V GP14’s)
Safe paint job - Matt decking and floor paint, safer to move about than gloss
Help with righting and getting in - polypropylene righting lines don’t absorb water
First Aid Kit
Safety Knife

2kg Anchor, chain and warp in a bag
Save the gunwhale from a knock - neoprene rubbing strake from bow to stern

Rudder to Tiller unlikely to break - strengthened tiller using thicker walled aluminium tube than standard, double thickness at the rudder stock
Clear windows in the stern so you can see how the trim of the boat is.

No wind and need to get home - Rowlocks and Oars (which are stored along the centreboard case)

Ease of launch and recovery, saving the road-going bearings - Combi trailer
Lighting Board

For when parked in the dinghy park - Boom Over Cover
For when towing or storing it without the mast up - Flat towing cover

13291 is strictly speaking not a GP14 because at some point in it’s life before I got it, there must have been good reason to remove the inner seating. It makes for a more open boat, but it is not strictly in class for racing.

This is a difficult advert for me to post, because I hunted this particular mark of GP14 specifically for it's cruising seaworthiness, and then I’ve added stuff to make each part if it more reliable and better, and we’ve had enormous fun sailing it.

Since this is a completely sorted cruising GP14 ready to sail, and every part of the sailing subsystems are in good working order, on a functional galvanised combi trailer,  I’m open to sensible offers. It would be possible for me to help with delivery, and it’s currently in Hampshire. Please contact me for further info.

Double Stacking road trailer
Double Stacker

This is a separate sale to the dinghy, although if it were to suit you I’m happy to sell both to the same buyer.

Before the laws on road trailer manufacture changed I made a 750kg unbraked double stacking GP14 road trailer where the top boat is winched into the top position on it’s trolley.

My two GP14s, from fully rigged can be loaded, flat covered and tied down and be ready to tow by two people in less than 30 minutes. Fixed trailers generally need 6 people to lift a GP14 on it’s trolley onto the top deck.

Furthermore, I also have the metal fittings to clam onto the outside two Toppers (Toppers not included). This sale includes a LED trailerboard of appropriate width which fits onto the pintle and gudgeon of the lower hull. The masts fit flat on the top boat, and if only one boat is being towed, the mast fits in forward mast rest on the trailer. It has 10 inch wheels, steel mudguards, jockey wheel, spare wheel on a wheel holder on the trailer. This cost me £2,500 to make, and I have had a trailer manufacturer estimate for insurance purposes that they would charge £2,500 to replace.

Steve.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: For Sail - Cruising GP14 and GP14 double stacker road trailer

sw13644
The GP14 is now on sale on eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273318547979