classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Gallanach boatyard nr oban

Patrick Horton 3310
Anyone used the slip at Gallanach boatyard near oban?  It is home to a dive centre and slip can be used for a fee. I am looking for the easiest place to launch with good parking close as poss to oban marina on kerrera.
Patrick
Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: Gallanach boatyard nr oban

John Booth 3163
Hello Patrick, I can't give any advice in relation to the boatyard (I think it's the local sailing club), but I was staying in the boathouse on Kerrera a couple of weeks ago. Can I just warn you that if you intend ever using the ferry from the marina to the pier at Oban, it only runs on the odd hour, i.e 9, 11, 1 3 and 5pm, and only runs until 5pm, and you MUST ring the marina office to book yourself a place on the boat or the ferryman/woman will absolutely not take you. This is contrary to what it says on the marina's website, which suggests that the ferry runs until 11pm. Beware!
The cruising ground looks fabulous. I'm going back next year with my Mirror.
Best wishes,
John Booth
Reply | Threaded
|  

Roger Barnes 936
Lots of good slipways in the mainland though near Oban.

From Roger Barnes by mobile

On 29 Jun 2016, at 13:51, John Booth 3163 [via DCA Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Patrick, I can't give any advice in relation to the boatyard (I think it's the local sailing club), but I was staying in the boathouse on Kerrera a couple of weeks ago. Can I just warn you that if you intend ever using the ferry from the marina to the pier at Oban, it only runs on the odd hour, i.e 9, 11, 1 3 and 5pm, and only runs until 5pm, and you MUST ring the marina office to book yourself a place on the boat or the ferryman/woman will absolutely not take you. This is contrary to what it says on the marina's website, which suggests that the ferry runs until 11pm. Beware!
Best wishes,
John Booth

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/Gallanach-boatyard-nr-oban-tp493p500.html
To start a new topic under Rallies, Raids & Cruises: planning & places, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from DCA Forum, click here.
NAML
Roger Barnes
President
Dinghy Cruising Association

president@dinghycruising.org.uk
Reply | Threaded
|  

Roger Barnes 936
In reply to this post by John Booth 3163
Have you tried Croabh Haven or Dunstaffnage Marina?

On 29 Jun 2016, at 20:31, Roger Barnes <[hidden email]> wrote:

Lots of good slipways in the mainland though near Oban.

From Roger Barnes by mobile

On 29 Jun 2016, at 13:51, John Booth 3163 [via DCA Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Best wishes,
John Booth

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/Gallanach-boatyard-nr-oban-tp493p500.html
To start a new topic under Rallies, Raids & Cruises: planning & places, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from DCA Forum, click here.
NAML

Roger Barnes
President
Dinghy Cruising Association

president@dinghycruising.org.uk
Reply | Threaded
|  

Patrick Horton 3310
Thanks for the responses guys.
Just got back from my trip now.  I can confirm Gallanach is excellent but I don't have much to compare it to.  There is a long slip probably running to 1/4 tide well sheltered against a tall harbour wall.  A dive centre manages the slip and you pay to use it in the dive shop.  The guy there was very friendly.  There is ample parking and showers and although boats and divers were coming and going it was easy to keep out of their way and find time to use the slip without being rushed.  Charges were £10 for launch/recovery and £7/day parking.  Anyone looking for a low stress launch site should consider Gallanach.

On the trip we met up with Jerry Evans 2510.  This was definitly our highlight.  His knowledge and way of sharing it brought comfort to two novices in need of some friendly company.  Perhaps we will share more of that on the forum when he returns.