classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Hello, and thanks

Michael Wilkinson 3461
Hello, I'm Michael Wilkinson from Lincolnshire UK and I've just joined DCA.

I recently asked Osbert Lancaster to post a question for me about the Cornish Crabber Cormorant in this forum before I joined the DCA.  I also posted a query in the DCA Facebook page.  Thank you to those of you who responded and helped us to make our decision.

My wife, Judith, and I will be collecting the new boat from Cornish Crabber in July.  We went for the Cormorant  with the balanced lug.

We are no hugely experienced sailors but I have been involved in boating in various ways throughout most of my life.  Counting various canoes, 3 inflatables, and a brief and unsatisfactory period with a Miracle sailing dinghy, I've had about 10 boats.  I used to crew for a friend who raced a Fireball.  Judith once did a week on a tall ship.

Although I always hung my nose over sailing dinghies, there was always something else to spend my time and money on and it looked like it would never happen.  Then last year, we saw a chap sailing in the Lake District in a Cormorant and Judith said, "I can see you in one of those."  We had a natter with him about the boat and he was very helpful and enthusiastic.  This year, after taking early retirement, we decided it was now or never.

Initial plans are to get to know the boat on our local river (the Trent) and on Rutland Water, before taking it to the Lakes.  I love the Scottish sea lochs and the western isles, but it's a bit of a trek from Lincolnshire.  We would like to sail in the sea once we've gained a bit of experience, but one thing at a time.

Racing has never appealed to me.  Camping, picnicking, visiting small islands and coves, and swimming from the boat do.  I've done all those things from various small inflatables.

Thanks again.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: Hello, and thanks

Elizabeth Baker
Hello Michael and Judith,
Welcome to the DCA, and good luck with your New New Cormorant once you receive it. I'm an old Old Cormorant sailor and love my boat. I hope you will gain as much pleasure from yours.
Elizabeth Baker
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, May 26, 2017 7:38 AM
Subject: Hello, and thanks

Hello, I'm Michael Wilkinson from Lincolnshire UK and I've just joined DCA.

I recently asked Osbert Lancaster to post a question for me about the Cornish Crabber Cormorant in this forum before I joined the DCA.  I also posted a query in the DCA Facebook page.  Thank you to those of you who responded and helped us to make our decision.

My wife, Judith, and I will be collecting the new boat from Cornish Crabber in July.  We went for the Cormorant  with the balanced lug.

We are no hugely experienced sailors but I have been involved in boating in various ways throughout most of my life.  Counting various canoes, 3 inflatables, and a brief and unsatisfactory period with a Miracle sailing dinghy, I've had about 10 boats.  I used to crew for a friend who raced a Fireball.  Judith once did a week on a tall ship.

Although I always hung my nose over sailing dinghies, there was always something else to spend my time and money on and it looked like it would never happen.  Then last year, we saw a chap sailing in the Lake District in a Cormorant and Judith said, "I can see you in one of those."  We had a natter with him about the boat and he was very helpful and enthusiastic.  This year, after taking early retirement, we decided it was now or never.

Initial plans are to get to know the boat on our local river (the Trent) and on Rutland Water, before taking it to the Lakes.  I love the Scottish sea lochs and the western isles, but it's a bit of a trek from Lincolnshire.  We would like to sail in the sea once we've gained a bit of experience, but one thing at a time.

Racing has never appealed to me.  Camping, picnicking, visiting small islands and coves, and swimming from the boat do.  I've done all those things from various small inflatables.

Thanks again.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/Hello-and-thanks-tp878.html
To start a new topic under Dinghies for Cruising: choosing, acquiring & using, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from DCA Forum, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: Hello, and thanks

Michael Wilkinson 3461
In reply to this post by Michael Wilkinson 3461
Thank you.  After months of decision making, the weeks of waiting are frustrating.  We've gone from theoretically being able to buy almost any dinghy we wanted to being committed to one particular dinghy.  It will be slower than many, shorter than many, simpler than most, and probably harder to sell than most if we've made a bad choice.  In theory, a great choice, but I'll feel happier when I've put the theory to the test!

It was the same when we bought the motorbike.  We made an oddball choice, not especially fast or powerful, and we agonised over the choice, but we love it.  (Moto Guzzi V7)