Hello from Ceredigion (and a bit of advice please)

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Hello from Ceredigion (and a bit of advice please)

Peter Hughes 3342
Hello, recently new members, my wife Sally and I bought a Laser Statos Keel last year which we are about to sail for the first time on Windermere on a weeks holiday.
We live in West Wales and will in future be sailing in Cardigan Bay with some trips to the Cleddau (Milford Haven) and elsewhere but having previously sailed only in the Med and UK inland waters so thought it would be a good idea to have a spell on a lake to get accustomed to the boat. Judging by Chris Best’s excellent piece about his trip rounding the Lizard in his Stratos Keel in the latest issue of “Dinghy Cruising,” the boat is considerably more capable than I am!

I would appreciate any advice on boat insurance and any methods people have used for displaying the Windermere Registration other than sticking the oversize numbers directly to the hull. A number plate of some sort but how attached?  

Peter and Sally
Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: Hello from Ceredigion (and a bit of advice please)

Roger Barnes 936
Remember that you do not need Windermere registration numbers if you do not have an engine.

On 8 May 2016, at 11:24, Peter Hughes 3342 [via DCA Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello, recently new members, my wife Sally and I bought a Laser Statos Keel last year which we are about to sail for the first time on Windermere on a weeks holiday.
We live in West Wales and will in future be sailing in Cardigan Bay with some trips to the Cleddau (Milford Haven) and elsewhere but having previously sailed only in the Med and UK inland waters so thought it would be a good idea to have a spell on a lake to get accustomed to the boat. Judging by Chris Best’s excellent piece about his trip rounding the Lizard in his Stratos Keel in the latest issue of “Dinghy Cruising,” the boat is considerably more capable than I am!

I would appreciate any advice on boat insurance and any methods people have used for displaying the Windermere Registration other than sticking the oversize numbers directly to the hull. A number plate of some sort but how attached?  

Peter and Sally

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/Hello-from-Ceredigion-and-a-bit-of-advice-please-tp380.html
To start a new topic under Dinghies for Cruising: choosing, acquiring & using, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from DCA Forum, click here.
NAML

Roger Barnes
President
Dinghy Cruising Association

president@dinghycruising.org.uk
Reply | Threaded
|  

Peter Hughes 3342
Thanks for that Roger, but I am taking the motor, I only have a small paddle, not oars.

Peter.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Roger Barnes 936
A big failing with many modern dinghies is a lack of any provision for oars, and Lasers are no exception. But looking at them at the Dinghy Show earlier in the year, I reckon that the Stratos could be adapted to take oars fairly easily. Even a really good pair of oars is cheaper than an outboard motor and much better for your health! All cruising dinghies should carry oars, in my opinion.

On 11 May 2016, at 10:31, Peter Hughes 3342 [via DCA Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks for that Roger, but I am taking the motor, I only have a small paddle, not oars.

Peter.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/Hello-from-Ceredigion-and-a-bit-of-advice-please-tp380p386.html
To start a new topic under Dinghies for Cruising: choosing, acquiring & using, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from DCA Forum, click here.
NAML

Roger Barnes
President
Dinghy Cruising Association

president@dinghycruising.org.uk
Reply | Threaded
|  

Elizabeth Baker
In reply to this post by Peter Hughes 3342
Regarding insurance, I insure my two dinghies with Noble Marine of Newark, Notts NG24 1XB. email: enquiries@noblemarine.co.uk. Website: www.noblemarine.co.uk

Only problem is they won't insure trailers our outboard motors to their full value.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Paul Holdsworth 3279
You only need to display the numbers while you're actually using your motor. To avoid sticking the numbers on your hull, the wardens suggest you stick them to a board and hang the board from your boom. They will helpfully sell you a board cut to size at their base at Ferry Nab.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Peter Hughes 3342
Thanks to all that replied. Unfortunately the insurance and reg number advice came after our trip to Windermere but as it happens we did choose Noble Marine anyway as they offer £5,000,000 third party liability and I made up two number plates from Correx (corrugated plastic) and hung them from the recovery lines my boat is fitted with.

With regard to Roger's advice on oars, I have read his book and respect his knowledge but the Stratos Keel has a lifting keel and a mainsheet "hoop" occupying the centre of the hull which I feel would hamper my rowing action somewhat!

The trip itself went very well, we rented a self catering lodge at the Hiil of Oaks site which has a private slipway and jetties which were a bit busy with the waterskiing set on the weekends but we had the place to ourselves on weekdays. The wind rose through the week and we were able to cruise much of the lake and familiarise ourselves  with our new (to us) acquisition.

Sally and Peter.