7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Hello, from East Yorkshire

Steve Shone 3398
Hello, folks.
I thought I'd drop by and introduce myself as a new member of the DCA, though I have met a number of you over the years, especially at the Kielder Rallies where my current boat, a Cape Cutter 19, is kept. We've previously belonged to the Drascombe Association having owned a lovely Dabber for many years - Misseelee where are you now? Since taking on the CC, which is a terrific sailing boat, we have dropped away from regular rallies simply because the boat is too big/inconvenient to trailer and day sail with. She now lives, fully rigged, on her trailer at Kielder Water. Rigging/stowing away for trailering takes so long that it's really not worth going anywhere unless you can spend a few days in her. Our last venture with her, season before last, involved a lengthy drive up to Tayvallich on the West Coast of Scotland. A magical place which we hope to revisit.
We are now on the lookout for another, more trailerable boat, as we miss the Drascombe. In fact we are going to look at a possible replacement on Monday. If she turns out to be suitable, and negotiations go well  then I hope to get along to the October Kielder Rally with her in October - otherwise I'll be there in the CC.
I've sailed for many years, learning in my first boat, a 1956 Graduate (no, it wasn't new!), along with several other boats. For a number of years I was the Sailing Master of a 60ft, square rigged sailing barge, Comrade, on the Humber, taking out charter parties on behalf of the Humber Keel and Sloop Preservation Society.
Now that both Eileen and I have retired we hope to spend a little more time travelling farther afield (perhaps that should be 'alake') and fully intend to get to a few DCA rallies.

Steve (aka the 'Biking Viking' by Keith M   )
Steve and Eileen - ex-Dabber sailors, almost ex-Cape Cutter 19 sailors, now Lune Whammel Coastal Weekender sailors. Based in East Yorkshire and looking forward to some DCA rallies.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: Hello, from East Yorkshire

Keith Muscott 1516
Administrator
Welcome aboard, Steve – I knew you'd weaken eventually!

I'd been hoping to attend the final Kielder DCA rally, but unfortunately it's become hedged around with unavoidable commitments. Normally I'd head up there on Thursday to have a clear run at it starting early on Friday morning, but that is now out of the question. As it's a 4.5 hr trip for me, starting off from home on a rally day is not recommended. Life, as they say, is what happens while you are making other plans.

Anyway, I'm sure we'll meet up again on Kielder or elsewhere before long. No doubt I'll lose my Kielder gate key before next Spring and the scary bearded Viking will suddenly burst out from the pines and – let me in!

All the very best for your coming times with the DCA.

Keith

Reply | Threaded
|  

Steve Shone 3398
Thanks for letting me know, Kieth. It'll save me hiding in the undergrowth, feeding the midges whilst waiting to ambush you
I sometimes wonder what those little beggars do for food when I'm not there.

If you did decide to come up, you'd be welcome to sail with me - in whatever I bring along.

Steve
Steve and Eileen - ex-Dabber sailors, almost ex-Cape Cutter 19 sailors, now Lune Whammel Coastal Weekender sailors. Based in East Yorkshire and looking forward to some DCA rallies.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Keith Muscott 1516
Administrator
I'll do my best. Will you be rushing off early on Sunday? I'll keep you posted anyway. Off to Derwent Water next Thursday and staying in the Lakes for a few days afterwards.

Speaking of good cruising boats, which you were, I notice that a nice Falmouth Bass Boat appeared on Gumtree 6 hours ago, priced at £2000. I sailed one of these with yawl rig, belonging to Jennifer Heney, DCA 1679, on the Border Reivers Rally and was impressed, as the second part of the rally report will suggest. It slipped along nicely and was as stable and vice-free as you'd expect from what is basically a sturdy traditional boat. The example on Gumtree has been upgraded to gaff rig – a bit more sail area.

The only drawback is that the trailer seems a bit -- Spartan -- and the boat is in Devon!

Keith
Reply | Threaded
|  

Steve Shone 3398
I'll have no need to dash off at all, Kieth. I may even hang about until Monday depending on the weather.

I'm actually looking at a Lune Coastal Weekender - a tarted up Whammel I suppose. I always liked the Whammel and it was on my list as a bigger replacement for the Dabber for a long time - but by the time I'd got to the stage of wanting to part with the cash, I was seduced when I wasn't looking properly  
The Weekender appeals because of the traditional looks (desirable), its tan sails (essential), a transom hung rudder (which is where it should be), the option of sleeping aboard in relative comfort (nice) and the big plus ----------- no centreboard casing (the clincher). The ability to be towed by my 60 year old Rover also played a part in the decision making process

Steve
Reply | Threaded
|  

Keith Muscott 1516
Administrator
No argument about that boat! I saw one at close quarters for the first time at the Welsh Boat Show when it was held at Deganwy a couple of years back. Big and powerful.

Keith

Reply | Threaded
|  

Steve Shone 3398
Well, the search was short, but rather sweet  We drove down to Suffolk today to look at a 2009 Lune Coastal Weekender. I was instantly taken with her and needless to say, the deal was done on the spot.
After a rather wet and miserable 150 mile drive home, during which the trailer behaved impeccably, she's now sitting on my drive awaiting some of the inevitable tinkering.
I'm also looking for a new name for her. I mean, Shoegazing! Who on earth would call a boat Shoegazing? I'm told she was given that name by the first of her two owners who was a disc jockey, though I know no more than that.

We're really looking forward to some DCA rallies next season, which can't come soon enough. In the meantime I now have to find space on the drive for a CC19 by the end of October.

Steve