classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hello from Northumberland

Dave Foote 3426
Hello forum

Just announcing us as new members of the DCA, myself Dave and my wife Rhoda.

I have experience in small boats stretching back well over 40 years, Rhoda less so.  We are in the thick of building a Selway Fisher 15' Northumbrian Coble ("Mary Ellen") and aim to have her on the water in the spring.  Mary Ellen is our first build so lots of things crop up that we don't know about, examples are
- what purchase will be needed on the (wooden but weighted) centreboard tackle? A single block? A single and a double??
- what size should the halyard be?  10mm? 12mm? other? (We plan a balanced lug sail of about 9 sqm)
- where might be the best place to get a road trailer made?

all advice is most welcome!

We look forward to meeting you at events during the year
Dave
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hello from Northumberland

Steve Shone 3398
Hello, Dave.
A nice choice of boat. I hope to see it sometime. We are not far away from you and regularly sail on Kielder Water where we are members of the excellent sailing club.
With regard to your enquiries, I would offer the following -
We had a Drascombe Dabber for many years which was of a very similar size/lines to your coble. The tackle for raising and lowering the steel centre board on that was pretty simple. Two single blocks, one with a becket. One shackled to an eye at the top of the board's arm, the other fixed to the top of the keel near to the mast foot. When the board was raised the line, which passed through a fairlead was held by a jamb cleat on the side of the centreboard casing. The arrangement gave more than enough purchase to lift the board without much effort at all.
http://www.honnormarine.co.uk/Dabber/dabberspec.htm

On the assumption that you'll be using a standing lug rather than a dipping lug, I would suggest an 8mm halyard would be ample. If using a dipping lug whereby your halyard also becomes the standing rigging on the weather side then whilst an 8mm braid would be well up to the task (my Cape Cutter with its 13.5sqm main uses 10mm halyards), a 10mm may be easier to grip. Either would be well up to taking far heavier loads than the boat would be able to place on them. If you are going for the classic look, Classic Marine do a good range of braided rope in natural buff colours - I'm a sucker for them
https://shop.classicmarine.co.uk/rope/synthetic-rope/polyester-braided-buff.html

Honnor Marine in Rochdale do a very good range of easy launch trailers.
http://www.honnormarine.co.uk/Trailers/Dabber/DabberTrailer.htm
I bought one for the Dabber from them - just before I sold the boat, but that's another story - it was around £1100 which was 3 years ago just before we were subjected to European Approval which bumped the costs up alarmingly for no extra benefit. That was for a trailer with 13 inch wheels so towing was easy. Launching and recovery was a single handed affair and didn't need the hubs to be dipped either. I would imagine that the rollers/cradle could easily be positioned to suit your Hull. Bob Brown is extremely obliging. Well worth giving him a ring, though when I last spoke to him he was going on holiday until around mid to late January.

Good luck with the build.
Steve
Steve and Eileen - ex-Dabber sailors, almost ex-Cape Cutter 19 sailors, now Lune Whammel Coastal Weekender sailors. Based in East Yorkshire and looking forward to some DCA rallies.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hello from Northumberland

Roger Barnes 936
For trailers try these people.

European type approval was introduced because the Germans had begun not to accept the road worthiness of foreign trailers entering there borders - it has effectively made trailers the same as cars, in that there is now an agreed standard across the continent. The main change is that trailers now all have numberplates and lights mounted on the trailer (not the load) and have side extent lights on the wheels.

As for the halyard, I would go for a reasonably thick laid rather than braided rope (braided does not coil easily and is a pain to splice) at least 10mm diameter.

Roger

On 16 Jan 2017, at 16:32, Steve Shone 3398 [via DCA Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Honnor Marine in Rochdale do a very good range of easy launch trailers. 
http://www.honnormarine.co.uk/Trailers/Dabber/DabberTrailer.htm
I bought one for the Dabber from them - just before I sold the boat, but that's another story - it was around £1100 which was 3 years ago just before we were subjected to European Approval which bumped the costs up alarmingly for no extra benefit. That was for a trailer with 13 inch wheels so towing was easy. Launching and recovery was a single handed affair and didn't need the hubs to be dipped either. I would imagine that the rollers/cradle could easily be positioned to suit your Hull. Bob Brown is extremely obliging. Well worth giving him a ring, though when I last spoke to him he was going on holiday until around mid to late January. 

Roger Barnes
President
Dinghy Cruising Association

president@dinghycruising.org.uk