Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

ICC

Michael Prewett
I'm considering taking my Devon Dayboat abroad this coming summer. If anyone has trailed a small boat abroad, have you ever been asked for an ICC>

Michael Prewett.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: ICC

Roger Barnes 936
Never in France. I have once only been asked to produce the registration document of the boat (SSR). An insurance certificate is often asked for at boat festivals.

R

On 7 Feb 2019, at 13:12, Michael Prewett [via DCA Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm considering taking my Devon Dayboat abroad this coming summer. If anyone has trailed a small boat abroad, have you ever been asked for an ICC>

Michael Prewett.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/ICC-tp1552.html
To start a new topic under Rallies, Raids & Cruises: planning & places, [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from DCA Forum, click here.
NAML

Roger Barnes
President
Dinghy Cruising Association

president@dinghycruising.org.uk
Reply | Threaded
|

John Lidstone 1503
I too have wondered about legal things abroad.
I have had to produce an ICC for a flotilla holiday in Croatia although not in Greece.
When I bought my boat from the French manufacturer, he indicated that there would be no problem with me sailing it there before trailing it home. Despite his assurance I was still concerned that I may not have the safety equipment that, I think, local French boats have to carry? Anyway, there was no problem for the two days of sailing.
Prompted by this discussion, I have just read the RYA pdf on boat registration (SSR) and it seems to say that if your boat is UK registered you would not be required to comply with local foreign laws on proof of competence or safety equipment unless you stay for a long period. So, could SSR registration protect you?
However, given the uncertainty of Brexit consequences and given how easy it is to get an ICC from the RYA, I would get one and then feel free to enjoy my holiday.
John
Reply | Threaded
|

Roger Barnes 936
You must register your boat under SSR if you take it abroad. That is the (international) law. Yes, then it becomes effectively a piece of Britain abroad and British law pertains on board.

Sent from my iPad

On 8 Feb 2019, at 06:49, John Lidstone 1503 [via DCA Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

I too have wondered about legal things abroad.
I have had to produce an ICC for a flotilla holiday in Croatia although not in Greece.
When I bought my boat from the French manufacturer, he indicated that there would be no problem with me sailing it there before trailing it home. Despite his assurance I was still concerned that I may not have the safety equipment that, I think, local French boats have to carry? Anyway, there was no problem for the two days of sailing.
Prompted by this discussion, I have just read the RYA pdf on boat registration (SSR) and it seems to say that if your boat is UK registered you would not be required to comply with local foreign laws on proof of competence or safety equipment unless you stay for a long period. So, could SSR registration protect you?
However, given the uncertainty of Brexit consequences and given how easy it is to get an ICC from the RYA, I would get one and then feel free to enjoy my holiday.
John

http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/ICC-tp1552p1555.html
To start a new topic under Rallies, Raids & Cruises: planning & places, email [hidden email]
NAML
Roger Barnes
President

Reply | Threaded
|

Gerald Turner 2924
I have not registered my Drascombe to the SSR scheme, but I have taken it abroad a few times, to France for the Semaine du Golfe, 2 DCA rallies to Charente -maritime, and a private trip to the Frisian isles.
Not once have I been questioned about the ICC ,or SSR, even when the Dutch konnigsmarine , stopped our boat and questioned us, when drifting offshore becalmed, they asked for my passport, which I was not carrying ,so produced my driving licence. They were through but nice about it.

What is involved in the SSR?
Reply | Threaded
|

John Lidstone 1503
Hi Gerald,
A quick Google search took me to the MCA website where you should be able to apply on-line. However, the site doesn't seem to be working. I then found another route via
https://www.gov.uk/register-a-boat/the-uk-ship-register
You need to apply for SSR Part III for vessels under 24m and I think that covers most of us!
I'll also try to upload the RYA pdf.
Regards
John

BOAT_REGISTRATION_IN_THE_UK.pdf
Reply | Threaded
|

Roger Barnes 936
In reply to this post by Gerald Turner 2924
https://mcanet.mcga.gov.uk/ssr/ssr/

As I say, I have only been asked for this once when in France. But it can happen, and legally you should register your boat before taking her abroad, (and while there you should fly the Red Ensign).

Roger Barnes
President

43 Witham Friary
Frome
Somerset
BA11 5HF

07801 263278
[hidden email]

On 8 Feb 2019, at 12:49, Gerald Turner 2924 [via DCA Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have not registered my Drascombe to the SSR scheme, but I have taken it abroad a few times, to France for the Semaine du Golfe, 2 DCA rallies to Charente -maritime, and a private trip to the Frisian isles.
Not once have I been questioned about the ICC ,or SSR, even when the Dutch konnigsmarine , stopped our boat and questioned us, when drifting offshore becalmed, they asked for my passport, which I was not carrying ,so produced my driving licence. They were through but nice about it.

http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/ICC-tp1552p1557.html
To start a new topic under Rallies, Raids & Cruises: planning & places, [hidden email]
NAML

Roger Barnes
President

Reply | Threaded
|

Roger Barnes 936
I should say. Gerald, that the one time I was asked for the registration documents and boat insurance was at St Denis on the Ile d’Oleron, just before last year's Charente rally. 

R

On 8 Feb 2019, at 13:27, Roger Barnes 936 [via DCA Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

https://mcanet.mcga.gov.uk/ssr/ssr/

As I say, I have only been asked for this once when in France. But it can happen, and legally you should register your boat before taking her abroad, (and while there you should fly the Red Ensign).

Roger Barnes
President

43 Witham Friary
Frome
Somerset
BA11 5HF

07801 263278
<a href="x-msg://5/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=1559&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]

On 8 Feb 2019, at 12:49, Gerald Turner 2924 [via DCA Forum] <<a href="x-msg://5/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=1559&amp;i=1" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]> wrote:

http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/ICC-tp1552p1557.html
To start a new topic under Rallies, Raids & Cruises: planning & places, <a href="x-msg://5/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=1559&amp;i=2" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]
NAML

Roger Barnes
President

[hidden email]

http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/ICC-tp1552p1559.html
NAML

Roger Barnes
President

Reply | Threaded
|

Gerald Turner 2924
Having read through the documents, I don't think I can comply with the requirements to provide names & addresses of previous owners, given that the current rules of the GDPSS , apart from the previous owner, who sold it because he was moving.
I do fly the red duster ,if only to take cover of a declaration that I am a British registered 'ship', ( even saluted a senior Navy ship once, which was ignored.) And try to practice proper flag egitque.
I also noted the requirement to live in the U.K. for 185 days, no bother for me, but I do wonder about you Roger, with your current Brexit woes?

Gerald.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gerald Turner 2924
The current ICC certificate is a sham anyway, it's more a case that the EU wants to see that you have it, there is no formal training course to go through,the authorities want to see that you demonstrate understanding of requirements, and is a mere formality to pass.
Whereas the RYA training is more rigourous,the scope of the Day skipper and coastal skipper more than covers the ICC,and yet it is not a formal requirement to have the RYA Certificate's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Roger Barnes 936
The ICC is nothing to do with Europe. It is a UN creation. The clue is in the name...

From Roger Barnes by mobile

On 9 Feb 2019, at 10:00, Gerald Turner 2924 [via DCA Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

The current ICC certificate is a sham anyway, it's more a case that the EU wants to see that you have it, there is no formal training course to go through,the authorities want to see that you demonstrate understanding of requirements, and is a mere formality to pass.
Whereas the RYA training is more rigourous,the scope of the Day skipper and coastal skipper more than covers the ICC,and yet it is not a formal requirement to have the RYA Certificate's.

http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/ICC-tp1552p1562.html
To start a new topic under Rallies, Raids & Cruises: planning & places, email [hidden email]
NAML
Roger Barnes
President

Reply | Threaded
|

Michael Prewett
Thanks for the various responses, which have been considerably more useful than that supplied by the RYA. I'm not sure why I've even started to think about this, given that I've sailed in seven European countries in a decked boat and never given it a thought!
Michael Prewett.
Reply | Threaded
|

Roger Barnes 936
ICC seems to be something that you may have to show if you want to hire a charter yacht. I don’t think skippers of owner-skippered boats tend to be asked for it. But this will vary from country to country.

On 11 Feb 2019, at 15:47, Michael Prewett [via DCA Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks for the various responses, which have been considerably more useful than that supplied by the RYA. I'm not sure why I've even started to think about this, given that I've sailed in seven European countries in a decked boat and never given it a thought!
Michael Prewett.

http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/ICC-tp1552p1564.html
NAML

Roger Barnes
President

Reply | Threaded
|

Stephen Davies 3471
In reply to this post by Michael Prewett
To me this thread is reminiscent of Sandy MacKinnon and the Unlikely Voyage of Jack de Crow, according to the novel, (and he admits to a little artistic license), he gets as far as the Rumanian border without papers, and then, when demanded, draws something up in crayon under the nose of a bulgarian customs official who has demanded them, stating a cargo of "Tin whistles, watercolour paintboxes, parrot embroidered cushions, honeypots, magic tricks, silken handkerchiefs, gosamer, autumn leaves".

I trust I'll not be bothered when I make my landing in Essex this summer.

Stephen