11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Jim Vallis, late DCA member 1519

Keith Muscott 1516
Administrator
Greetings to all.

I'm afraid my first post is a sad one. Longstanding DCA member Jim Vallis, whose membership 1519 was three after mine, died on January 9th.
I have no photographs of Jim, so I'd be very grateful if anyone can oblige me with one for the Journal.
If you want to share a memory of him that too would be most welcome.
He was a lovely man with a very strong Christian faith who sailed regularly with kindred spirits, all as exceptionally keen as himself.
He had a Westerly NOMAD for a long time, then a 12ft OTTER, which he sold recently through Dinghy Cruising, and he had been enjoying a new lease of life in his Tideway, which was featured in a tongue-in-cheek rescue article written by his friend and published recently in DC. He submitted many simple but effective black and white sketches of boats and places for the bulletin over a number of years.
The only times I fell in with him were at AGMs, where his enthusiasm for boats and for the DCA was always undimmed.

Keith
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Jim Vallis, late DCA member 1519

jocasam [Steve Pollard]
I thought I had a photo but don't. I met Jim when I moved to Bradninch and joined the Starcross Sailing Club. He was a stalwart of both having been mayor of the town and influential in the community over many years. He was an active member of St Disens church and also a skilled woodworker. He made a communion table for the church and regularly displayed carvings in local events. He was very helpful to  me as new member of the sailing club and 2014 advised me when I was researching for my new dinghy. I was going to buy one of his but he wanted to repair it first having stood in it and holed the hull! He was always cheerful and ready to chat. He made me feel at home in the town and club. Now he is at home with the One for whom he lived so faithfully.
Cheers,
Steve
Reply | Threaded
|

Keith Muscott 1516
Administrator
Many thanks for that. The information covers more than I knew about Jim, so it is very useful indeed.

Would you care to identify yourself to me via my email address please? –

[hidden email]

If you hear of anyone – inside or outside the DCA – with a photograph of Jim, please put them in touch with me.

Keith

Reply | Threaded
|

jocasam [Steve Pollard]
Tried to send my email via the link but it told me I had a missing domain but I couldn't spot what that was.
Cheers,
Steve
Reply | Threaded
|

Keith Muscott 1516
Administrator
Basically I just wanted to get your name, as I will use what you've just said on-forum to add to other bits and pieces I've cobbled together and write an obituary for Jim – but not very much info yet, I'm afraid. And a photograph would be lovely, if you hear of anyone who took one.

I'll go back in the archive and see if I have a contact for the chap who was sailing with him when they picked up a bigger boat that had floated away from the bank, using Jim's Tideway. You're not him are you? ('Jocasam' leaves too much for the imagination to fill in!)

Regards,

Keith

(The site will prevent you from using the forum to pass on personal info like email addresses, except for the onsite one you have been given to post with, which is kept inside the forum. It's a good safety feature.K)

-----Original Message-----
To: Keith Muscott 1516 <[hidden email]>
Sent: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 14:00
Subject: Re: Jim Vallis, late DCA member 1519

Tried to send my email via the link but it told me I had a missing domain but I couldn't spot what that was.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/Jim-Vallis-late-DCA-member-1519-tp55p119.html
To start a new topic under Flotsam & Jetsam: Everything else dinghy cruising, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from DCA Forum, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

jocasam [Steve Pollard]
Jocasam is abbreviation for Joy, Cas, Sam my children but formally I'm Stephen Pollard and happy to be known as such!
I've posted in the starcross forum asking if anyone who has a photo of Jim the DCA could use.
Sadly, I'm not the 'rescuer', I've not actually managed to make a rally yet but live in hope.
Cheers
Steve
Cheers,
Steve
Reply | Threaded
|

Keith Muscott 1516
Administrator
Thank you very much indeed, Steve.

The others with Jim in his Tideway on that occasion were Graham Ireland and Richard Wareham, should you know them. They seem to have been regular sailing companions of JIm's, so it is likely one or both will have a photo.

I have Graham's address (as he wrote up the account for me and I sent him a copy of Dinghy Cruising as he is not a member). I was about to drop him a line (I don't have his email address) but if he is on the starcross forum, which is almost certain, I won't bother.

Thanks for your help.

Keith

Sent: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 15:22

Jocasam is abbreviation for Joy, Cas, Sam my children but formally I'm Stephen Pollard and happy to be known as such!
I've posted in the starcross forum asking if anyone who has a photo of Jim the DCA could use.
Sadly, I'm not the 'rescuer', I've not actually managed to make a rally yet but live in hope.
Cheers
Steve

http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/Jim-Vallis-late-DCA-member-1519-tp55p122.html
To start a new topic under Flotsam & Jetsam: Everything else dinghy cruising, email [hidden email]
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

jocasam [Steve Pollard]
Hi Keith,

here are 3 images. The 1st and 3rd seem best to me but you choose.

Cheers
Steve
Cheers,
Steve
Reply | Threaded
|

Keith Muscott 1516
Administrator
Many thanks, Steve. Much appreciated – and my apologies for being late back to you.

Keith

From: jocasam [Steve Pollard] [via DCA Forum] <[hidden email]>
Sent: Mon, 25 Jan 2016 12:41

Hi Keith,

here are 3 images. The 1st and 3rd seem best to me but you choose.

Cheers
Steve
Cheers,
Steve

http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/Jim-Vallis-late-DCA-member-1519-tp55p135.html
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

Keith Muscott 1516
Administrator
Steve,

You will find that I used your portrait photograph of Jim for his obituary in DC230. It was about the last feature I put together before wrapping up the bulletin, and I stupidly did not check back to these posts before doing so – hence I could not recall on the spur of the moment that it was you who had sent it to me via this Forum. By that stage I had a folder full of images from all points of the compass and had become thoroughly confused! There's no excuse for my oversight, however, as your pic was the only suitable head and shoulders shot, and very nice it is.

So you will find a plea in my editorial asking the kind donor to identify himself! You have no need to! I'll acknowledge it as your image in the summer bulletin.

Jim's family kindly made available to me his funeral address, and other friends went out of their way to assist. Wherever I looked it became more and more apparent just how well-loved and appreciated this man was.
Reply | Threaded
|

jocasam [Steve Pollard]
HI Keith,
no problem there, I didn't expect an acknowledgement. Glad to have been able to help Jim's friends this way. I was very disappointed not to be able to attend the funeral even though I live in the same village so this token helps.

God bless,

Steve

On 3 April 2016 at 08:45, Keith Muscott 1516 [via DCA Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Steve,

You will find that I used your portrait photograph of Jim for his obituary in DC230. It was about the last feature I put together before wrapping up the bulletin, and I stupidly did not check back to these posts before doing so – hence I could not recall on the spur of the moment that it was you who had sent it to me via this Forum. By that stage I had a folder full of images from all points of the compass and had become thoroughly confused! There's no excuse for my oversight, however, as your pic was the only suitable head and shoulders shot, and very nice it is.

So you will find a plea in my editorial asking the kind donor to identify himself! You have no need to! I'll acknowledge it as your image in the summer bulletin.

Jim's family kindly made available to me his funeral address, and other friends went out of their way to assist. Wherever I looked it became more and more apparent just how well-loved and appreciated this man was.

http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/Jim-Vallis-late-DCA-member-1519-tp55p314.html
To unsubscribe from Jim Vallis, late DCA member 1519, click here.
NAML

Cheers,
Steve