Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Kyles of Bute Rally 26th - 29th August

Bill Haylock 3130
Kyles of Bute Rally 26th - 29th August
Dinghy Cruising Association North East and Borders Region

Based at:  Carry Farm, Kames, Tighnabruaich OS Grid Ref NR 991 672

Please note that this is not a Bank Holiday weekend in Scotland and the Scottish school holidays will be over, so I do not expect it to be too busy.

The plan for this rally is to day sail in the Kyles of Bute and Loch Fyne area. There are some lovely beaches to land on for picnics. For the more adventurous (and the faster boats) it is possible to sail around the Isle of Bute in a day.

Carry Farm is a local family business operating a camping and caravan site and sailing school. We will have exclusive use of the camping field which is about 200m away from the facilities, static caravans and lodges on the site. It's very peaceful – especially in the evenings, when we will be able to light a fire on the beach. We also have the use of the Sailing School's private slipway next to the campsite.  Located on a peninsula in the West Kyle,  the camping field has superb views of the Kyle and of the Isle of Arran.

Above: The camping field at Carry Farm

Bigger, heavier boats can be launched at the so-called “tank slip” about 2 miles back up the road near Kames.  This is not useable below half-tide and even then can be very slippery with much seaweed.  Launching is easiest near high tide. Here is a Tighnabruaich tide table for the 10 days at the end of August.

Boats may be anchored off the camping field, but the beach shelves very gently which means leaving boats 100m or so offshore. The slipway is covered from mid-tide, but at low tide the sand is firm and so light boats can be recovered at any state of the tide.

Campsite Charges per night:
There are two parts to the campsite charges: a charge per tent (or campervan) and a charge per person.
Tent charges per night: Small tent (single compartment) £3; Large tent or campervan without electric hook-up £5
Plus person charge per night:  Adult £6, Child (under 16) £3, under 5 years free
Please bring cash with you to pay for your campsite fees.
If anyone wants to sleep aboard, I think it is quite reasonable to expect them to pay the daily charge per person for the use of the campsite facilities.

There is a village shop and a Hotel at Kames about 3 miles up the road.

Statement of Risk

Parts of the coastline where we may be sailing are quite remote and landing may be difficult, so it is a good idea to be well supplied with food and drink and extra clothing. Although this is a relatively sheltered coastal area, in certain wind and tidal current directions it can still get rough. Weather conditions can also change very rapidly. Kevin, the Principal of the sailing school, is a good source of local information.

Tidal currents are generally not strong, except in the area around Burnt Islands near the meeting of the East and West Kyles, where the channel is narrow. There may also be sudden wind shifts in this area.

In the West Kyle there can be quite heavy traffic of yachts and motor boats at times. Many of their skippers seem unaware of COLREGS, so please keep a good lookout at all times and be prepared to take action to avoid collisions! Ferries also operate in areas where we may sail and there may also be submarine operations in the area. Marine Safety Information bulletins are broadcast by the Maritime and Coastguard Agency on VHF and give information on submarine operations and weather forecasts. If you have VHF radio it would be a good idea to bring it and monitor channel 16 for announcements.

As with all DCA rallies, it is for every skipper to make their own decision as to whether their boat, their crew and their personal experience and skills are up to the conditions on the day, and to make their own passage plans.

For more information contact me at billhaylock@phonecoop.coop or 07421 083838

Bill Haylock
Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: Kyles of Bute Rally 26th - 29th August

Osbert Lancaster 2756
Administrator
Hi Bill

Looking very tempting! I'll have been away for work the previous weekend, so not sure at the moment if it will be possible for me. Will look into it more!
"Selkie", a Drake rowing boat by Clint Chase
"Scratch", a Walkabout dinghy by John Welsford
Mainly sailing and rowing on the Firth of Forth
forthsailoar.osbert.org
Reply | Threaded
|  

Osbert Lancaster 2756
Administrator
Anyone else, apart from me and Bill interested in the Kyles of Bute rally?
"Selkie", a Drake rowing boat by Clint Chase
"Scratch", a Walkabout dinghy by John Welsford
Mainly sailing and rowing on the Firth of Forth
forthsailoar.osbert.org
Reply | Threaded
|  

John Sharpe 2985
It sounds a great rally and I would love to go, unfortunately it coincides with our family holiday.
Maybe next time

Regards
John
John Sharpe & Michy-Lou.
Loving Sailing
Reply | Threaded
|  

Roger Barnes 936
I love the Kyles of Bute. Sadly no time this year though.

R

On 15 Aug 2016, at 18:50, John Sharpe 2985 [via DCA Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

It sounds a great rally and I would love to go, unfortunately it coincides with our family holiday.
Maybe next time

Regards
John
John Sharpe & Michy-Lou.
Glad the winter is over.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/Kyles-of-Bute-Rally-26th-29th-August-tp548p555.html
To start a new topic under Rallies, Raids & Cruises: planning & places, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from DCA Forum, click here.
NAML

Roger Barnes
President
Dinghy Cruising Association

president@dinghycruising.org.uk
Reply | Threaded
|  

John Hughes 2457
In reply to this post by Bill Haylock 3130
I'll be there with family. Probably arriving on Tues 23rd. Really looking forward to it.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Bill Haylock 3130
In reply to this post by Osbert Lancaster 2756
Just got an e-mail to say that David and Margaret Spensley will be arriving on Friday with their Scamp Trinker. Mike and Anne-Marie Harrington are also hoping to come if they sort out a trailer problem and also hopefully Robin and Gina Marsden (although they will not be staying at the campsite).
Reply | Threaded
|  

RE: Kyles of Bute Rally 26th - 29th August

Bob Tarn 2572

Bill

It is a pity you could not attend, the site is excellent as you said, the weather was warm and sunny but with light winds and a good time was had by all. My only regret was I didn’t arrange to stay longer. It would be well worth making this an annual event.

Kind regards

Bob

From: Bill Haylock 3130 [via DCA Forum] [mailto:ml-node+[hidden email]]
Sent: 18 August 2016 23:39
To: Robert Tarn <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: Kyles of Bute Rally 26th - 29th August

Just got an e-mail to say that David and Margaret Spensley will be arriving on Friday with their Scamp Trinker. Mike and Anne-Marie Harrington are also hoping to come if they sort out a trailer problem and also hopefully Robin and Gina Marsden (although they will not be staying at the campsite).

http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/Kyles-of-Bute-Rally-26th-29th-August-tp548p559.html

To start a new topic under Rallies, Raids & Cruises: planning & places, email [hidden email]
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|  

Roger Barnes 936
Lot to be said for it. Quite a variety of places to sail to close by, and nearer to the main centres of population than much of the west coast. 

From Roger Barnes by mobile

On 31 Aug 2016, at 10:32, Bob Tarn 2572 [via DCA Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Bill

It is a pity you could not attend, the site is excellent as you said, the weather was warm and sunny but with light winds and a good time was had by all. My only regret was I didn’t arrange to stay longer. It would be well worth making this an annual event.

Kind regards

Bob

From: Bill Haylock 3130 [via DCA Forum] [mailto:ml-node+[hidden email]]
Sent: 18 August 2016 23:39
To: Robert Tarn <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: Kyles of Bute Rally 26th - 29th August

http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/Kyles-of-Bute-Rally-26th-29th-August-tp548p559.html

NAML

http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/Kyles-of-Bute-Rally-26th-29th-August-tp548p575.html
NAML
Roger Barnes
President
Dinghy Cruising Association

president@dinghycruising.org.uk
Reply | Threaded
|  

RE: Kyles of Bute Rally 26th - 29th August

Bill Haylock 3130
In reply to this post by Bob Tarn 2572
Hi Bob,

Really pleased you enjoyed the Rally. I was greatly disappointed not to make it, but it was a wise decision. I had a throat infection that had stopped me from eating for the four days before the start of the rally and I felt drained of energy. I'm on the mend now and hoping to make it to Ullswater this weekend.

Bill