classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

LOUGH ERNE RALLY, Northern Ireland, JULY 2017

Keith Muscott 1516
Administrator
I returned from NI at 00:15 last Friday morning, sunburnt to a crisp and completely happy with every aspect of this rally, which was born of a conversation I had with Tom Bailey, Vice-Commodore of LEYC, at Beale Park in 2015. The last DCA sailor in Ireland was (is?) Alastair Law, who decided to spend a full two weeks there to compensate for his long journey from Yeovil to the Holyhead ferry, to Dublin, thence to County Fermanagh – and back. He is now exploring the Upper Lough.

Lough Erne is the finest inland water dinghy cruising location I have ever sampled, bar none. Some of the Scottish freshwater lochs and the English Lakes may just take the palm in terms of natural beauty (though it's a close-run thing), but the expanse of water at Lough Erne, with numerous wooded islands of all sizes, many of them with big jetties up to A1 marina standard (invariably deserted) and an endless supply of historical sites to visit dating from many different periods make this lough utterly unique.

There are sufficient islands – often difficult to tell apart – to test navigation continuously, and the distances involved make it easy to plan major day-long expeditions to take up a full fortnight without ever repeating yourself. And that is without taking the even more complex waters of the southern Upper Lough Erne into account. ('Upper' because the run of the linking river is south - north, flowing finally into Donegal Bay).

A few days ago Alastair and I agreed that the character of the place was captured beautifully by the experience of sailing past islands lying in line ahead formation, moving into the wind shadow of each one in turn and exchanging wind noise for birdsong. Absolutely magical. And by the way, in a sultry and often overcast two-week period in July no-one suffered insect bites! I don't recall seeing a midge!

My present thought is to visit again next year for the first two weeks in July. This is traditionally a national holiday period which nevertheless leaves the lough virtually unpopulated as they all seem to go abroad!

As members tend to have constraints on the timing and duration of a visit like this, I envisage a 'pick and mix' situation with three weekends and ten days to play with. My present intention is to go out just before the first weekend and return just after the last one.

Rally report in the next issue of DC. Attenders please forward photographs to me – and your own accounts too, if you wish. And many thanks for your company; we all gelled beautifully and achieved that rare balance of sociability without sacrificing the feel of individual exploits being pursued in different boats.

Keith
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: LOUGH ERNE RALLY, Northern Ireland, JULY 2017

Keith Muscott 1516
Administrator
Last email sent by Tom Bailey, received this afternoon, ends:

'Glad everyone enjoyed the rally. The DCA is always welcome.'

So next year's rally is now on.

Keith
Reply | Threaded
|

RE: LOUGH ERNE RALLY, Northern Ireland, JULY 2017

Bob Tarn 2572
In reply to this post by Keith Muscott 1516

Keith

I agree wholeheartedly with your comments and certainly plan to go again next year so please put me on the circulation list.

You are proposing the first two weeks in July next year but the 1st is a Sunday. I’m assuming you would intend to go out on or about Friday 29th June and return after Sunday 15th July. I have put those dates in my calendar but would be happy if you could confirm your intentions.

Bob

From: Keith Muscott 1516 [via DCA Forum] [mailto:ml+[hidden email]]
Sent: 17 July 2017 12:25
To: Robert Tarn <[hidden email]>
Subject: LOUGH ERNE RALLY, Northern Ireland, JULY 2017

I returned from NI at 00:15 last Friday morning, sunburnt to a crisp and completely happy with every aspect of this rally, which was born of a conversation I had with Tom Bailey, Vice-Commodore of LEYC, at Beale Park in 2015. The last DCA sailor in Ireland was (is?) Alastair Law, who decided to spend a full two weeks there to compensate for his long journey from Yeovil to the Holyhead ferry, to Dublin, thence to County Fermanagh – and back. He is now exploring the Upper Lough.

Lough Erne is the finest inland water dinghy cruising location I have ever sampled, bar none. Some of the Scottish freshwater lochs and the English Lakes may just take the palm in terms of natural beauty (though it's a close-run thing), but the expanse of water at Lough Erne, with numerous wooded islands of all sizes, many of them with big jetties up to A1 marina standard (invariably deserted) and an endless supply of historical sites to visit dating from many different periods make this lough utterly unique.

There are sufficient islands – often difficult to tell apart – to test navigation continuously, and the distances involved make it easy to plan major day-long expeditions to take up a full fortnight without ever repeating yourself. And that is without taking the even more complex waters of the southern Upper Lough Erne into account. ('Upper' because the run of the linking river is south - north, flowing finally into Donegal Bay).

A few days ago Alastair and I agreed that the character of the place was captured beautifully by the experience of sailing past islands lying in line ahead formation, moving into the wind shadow of each one in turn and exchanging wind noise for birdsong. Absolutely magical. And by the way, in a sultry and often overcast two-week period in July no-one suffered insect bites! I don't recall seeing a midge!

My present thought is to visit again next year for the first two weeks in July. This is traditionally a national holiday period which nevertheless leaves the lough virtually unpopulated as they all seem to go abroad!

As members tend to have constraints on the timing and duration of a visit like this, I envisage a 'pick and mix' situation with three weekends and ten days to play with. My present intention is to go out just before the first weekend and return just after the last one.

Rally report in the next issue of DC. Attenders please forward photographs to me – and your own accounts too, if you wish. And many thanks for your company; we all gelled beautifully and achieved that rare balance of sociability without sacrificing the feel of individual exploits being pursued in different boats.

Keith

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:

http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/LOUGH-ERNE-RALLY-Northern-Ireland-JULY-2017-tp992.html

To start a new topic under Rallies, Raids & Cruises: planning & places, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from DCA Forum, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: LOUGH ERNE RALLY, Northern Ireland, JULY 2017

Keith Muscott 1516
Administrator
Bob

I intentionally put ‘first two weeks in July' as I had not checked the calendar, but my intention is to bracket the first three weekends in July, so members can choose what they want. I will probably do what I tend to do with most rallies: arrive a day earlier and return a day later, as I did this time. The dates you have mentioned sound right to me.

I’ve found some really good black and white pics online of the two Catalina bases on the loch, back in the day; one really good one shows the big hangar that still stands, but also all the units along the wall where we parked and I camped, with Catalinas being overhauled in them – and the 'hidden village' on the hill behind. I think they may find their way into the rally report, plus a nice colour shot of the Cat from Lough Erne that spotted the Bismarck. Nothing to do with sailing dinghies or the rally, of course.

Keith

On 20 Jul 2017, at 16:00, Bob Tarn 2572 [via DCA Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Keith

I agree wholeheartedly with your comments and certainly plan to go again next year so please put me on the circulation list.

You are proposing the first two weeks in July next year but the 1st is a Sunday. I’m assuming you would intend to go out on or about Friday 29th June and return after Sunday 15th July. I have put those dates in my calendar but would be happy if you could confirm your intentions.

Bob

From: Keith Muscott 1516 [via DCA Forum] [mailto:ml+<a href="x-msg://1/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=995&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]]
Sent: 17 July 2017 12:25
To: Robert Tarn <<a href="x-msg://1/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=995&amp;i=1" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]>
Subject: LOUGH ERNE RALLY, Northern Ireland, JULY 2017

Keith

http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/LOUGH-ERNE-RALLY-Northern-Ireland-JULY-2017-tp992.html

To start a new topic under Rallies, Raids & Cruises: planning & places, email <a href="x-msg://1/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=995&amp;i=2" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]
NAML

http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/LOUGH-ERNE-RALLY-Northern-Ireland-JULY-2017-tp992p995.html
To start a new topic under Rallies, Raids & Cruises: planning & places, email [hidden email]
NAML