classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

La Semaine Du Golfe Du Morbihan

Tim Stephenson 3313
Hi everyone ,
 Next year it is our intention to full fill a long held dream to take our Ness boat to the Morbihan festival.
 We have never been before so would appreciate any advice.
Is any one else going and could we meet up once there.
we have a motor home to tow our boat so would like to know the best place to camp/ launch
When is the best time to book the ferry.
We will probably go for a week either side of the festival get repaired and have wind down.
We will be traveling down from Galloway so would prefer to travel from Plymouth
What paper work do we need to tow our boat in France.
I am sure there will be many more questions.
Tim
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: La Semaine Du Golfe Du Morbihan

Patrick Hay 3474
I’ll be taking part.  It’s a great event made extraordinary by the genuine warmth and generosity of the hundreds of volunteers from the many towns, villages and communes that contribute to its organisation and management.

Where to launch and camp is really determined by which of the “flotillas” you are assigned to by the organisers.  Your boat would probably be flotilla 2.  If they put you in a flotilla that you feel is unsuitable, you can ask to be reallocated to another.  Once you know which fleet you are in you’ll be able to make some travel reservations, but your flotilla “base” port may not be announced until Jan or Feb 2019, so you won’t be in a position to book a convenient campsite until then.  

At this stage the organisers send you an information pack telling you about the sailing programme, which is a daily itinerary, different for each fleet, with buses laid on each morning and evening to transport crews from their boats back to base each night, and from base to where their boats are each morning.  Since the boats are in a different port each night it is important to locate your crew accommodation close to the point where the flotilla bus leaves in the morning.  Fortunately this is usually a nominated campsite, and you should probably wait until you receive the info pack with these details before making a campsite reservation.

At the same time you ought to make sure you book your crew onto the buses, and also book for any meals that are laid on for crews at the welcoming ports.  You will need the bus service, but you don’t necessarily need the meals, as there are other feeding options available at most of the destination ports.  (However the communal meals at long tables in the open air or under canvas are great fun, very social, and a major part of the overall festival experience)

Wherever your flotilla is based you will find you are provided with good free launching facilities, trailer parking, mooring, etc.  

At the start of the week you must check in at your flotilla base to collect badges, sail number, goody bags, etc, and to sign declarations and disclaimers.

As I’ll be sailing in flotilla 3b, we may not find ourselves in the same place at the same time at any time during the week, depending on our sailing programmes, though it is almost certain our paths will cross somewhere on the water.  Perhaps the best opportunity for meeting would be on the Tuesday when boats from all fleets converge on the île d’Arz for a waterside picnic under the shade of pine trees.  Food is available there on site, huge pans of paella, wine, slices of Breton tart, etc, or you can bring your own.  There is music, folk dancing, shanty singing, men and women in traditional costume, and a very convivial atmosphere.

I live in France so I don’t know much about ferries.  I believe Plymouth-Roscoff might be your best bet.  It might be worth asking if the operator is offering any special fare in connection with boats and crews attending the festival.  Not sure what paperwork you might need for towing, either, though I always carry boat registration and insurance documents, and, now that I have a new trailer, the EU type approval documents that it came with.

I hope this helps.  It’s 5 years since I last took part so things might have changed a bit, in which case some of my advice might be out of date.  What I am sure will not have changed is the warmth and generosity of the welcome, the joyful conviviality among crews, and the careful but not too intrusive organisation.

"Salvo" -  1963 Tricorn dinghy designed for coastal cruising
Conchil Le Temple
France
Reply | Threaded
|

Roger Barnes 936
The nearest ferry port in France to the Golfe du Morbihan is St Malo. Caen is also fairly close. There are ferries to both ports from Portsmouth.

The usual camping for the semaine du golfe is at Conleau.

Sent from my iPad

On 10 Jul 2018, at 22:51, Patrick Hay 3474 [via DCA Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

I’ll be taking part.  It’s a great event made extraordinary by the genuine warmth and generosity of the hundreds of volunteers from the many towns, villages and communes that contribute to its organisation and management.

Where to launch and camp is really determined by which of the “flotillas” you are assigned to by the organisers.  Your boat would probably be flotilla 2.  If they put you in a flotilla that you feel is unsuitable, you can ask to be reallocated to another.  Once you know which fleet you are in you’ll be able to make some travel reservations, but your flotilla “base” port may not be announced until Jan or Feb 2019, so you won’t be in a position to book a convenient campsite until then.  

At this stage the organisers send you an information pack telling you about the sailing programme, which is a daily itinerary, different for each fleet, with buses laid on each morning and evening to transport crews from their boats back to base each night, and from base to where their boats are each morning.  Since the boats are in a different port each night it is important to locate your crew accommodation close to the point where the flotilla bus leaves in the morning.  Fortunately this is usually a nominated campsite, and you should probably wait until you receive the info pack with these details before making a campsite reservation.

At the same time you ought to make sure you book your crew onto the buses, and also book for any meals that are laid on for crews at the welcoming ports.  You will need the bus service, but you don’t necessarily need the meals, as there are other feeding options available at most of the destination ports.  (However the communal meals at long tables in the open air or under canvas are great fun, very social, and a major part of the overall festival experience)

Wherever your flotilla is based you will find you are provided with good free launching facilities, trailer parking, mooring, etc.  

At the start of the week you must check in at your flotilla base to collect badges, sail number, goody bags, etc, and to sign declarations and disclaimers.

As I’ll be sailing in flotilla 3b, we may not find ourselves in the same place at the same time at any time during the week, depending on our sailing programmes, though it is almost certain our paths will cross somewhere on the water.  Perhaps the best opportunity for meeting would be on the Tuesday when boats from all fleets converge on the île d’Arz for a waterside picnic under the shade of pine trees.  Food is available there on site, huge pans of paella, wine, slices of Breton tart, etc, or you can bring your own.  There is music, folk dancing, shanty singing, men and women in traditional costume, and a very convivial atmosphere.

I live in France so I don’t know much about ferries.  I believe Plymouth-Roscoff might be your best bet.  It might be worth asking if the operator is offering any special fare in connection with boats and crews attending the festival.  Not sure what paperwork you might need for towing, either, though I always carry boat registration and insurance documents, and, now that I have a new trailer, the EU type approval documents that it came with.

I hope this helps.  It’s 5 years since I last took part so things might have changed a bit, in which case some of my advice might be out of date.  What I am sure will not have changed is the warmth and generosity of the welcome, the joyful conviviality among crews, and the careful but not too intrusive organisation.

Conchil Le Temple
France

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/La-Semaine-Du-Golfe-Du-Morbihan-tp1343p1344.html
To start a new topic under Rallies, Raids & Cruises: planning & places, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from DCA Forum, click here.
NAML
Roger Barnes
President
Dinghy Cruising Association

president@dinghycruising.org.uk
Reply | Threaded
|

Patrick Hay 3474
It depends on which flotilla they put you in, Roger.  You don’t want to be in a campsite in Conleau if your daily flotilla transport leaves from a collection point in Auray.

Transport logistics would not be a concern if you camp on board your own boat, of course.
Conchil Le Temple
France
Reply | Threaded
|

Roger Barnes 936
“Usually” I said Patrick. Everyone I ever meet in whatever flotilla who is camping for the SdG inevitably seems to be doing it at Conleau. But “other campsites are available” as the BBC would say.

From Roger Barnes by mobile

On 11 Jul 2018, at 07:22, Patrick Hay 3474 [via DCA Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

It depends on which flotilla they put you in, Roger.  You don’t want to be in a campsite in Conleau if your daily flotilla transport leaves from a collection point in Auray.

Transport logistics would not be a concern if you camp on board your own boat, of course.
Conchil Le Temple
France

http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/La-Semaine-Du-Golfe-Du-Morbihan-tp1343p1346.html
To start a new topic under Rallies, Raids & Cruises: planning & places, email [hidden email]
NAML
Roger Barnes
President

Reply | Threaded
|

Tim Stephenson 3313
In reply to this post by Tim Stephenson 3313
That's a great help thanks. I am sure it will mainly be a case of 'suck it and see!'.  I am sure I there will be more questions to follow.
Reply | Threaded
|

Tim Stephenson 3313
I just got word they have put me in flotilla No2  
Reply | Threaded
|

Patrick Hay 3474
Maybe based at Conleau, then, as Roger suggests.  I guess my flotilla might be based at Larmor Baden or Arradon, with a proposed campsite and bus collection point nearer there.  Last time I took part the organisers allocated us to a site at St Goustan - but they may have changed things since 2013.

I have just remembered something else that might be helpful.  A chart of the Morbihan printed on waterproof plastic card is available in a handy, cockpit-friendly size.  It is produced by Navicarte and can be obtained online.  I think it is intended for kayakers, but it suits open sailing boat use and the detail is adequate.  Very useful for plotting your daily itinerary at the morning briefings using a chinagraph or similar pencil.

Conchil Le Temple
France
Reply | Threaded
|

Patrick Hay 3474
Just remembered a couple of things worth mentioning.  

When you see "Le port de la brassière est obligatoire" in the sailing directions for your flotilla, this is not an instruction to female members of your crew to be sure to wear a bra.  It means you must wear a lifejacket/buoyancy aid (though there are always plenty who don't).

In France you don't need a boat's radio licence for a VHF set as long as it can't exceed 5W transmission power.

And another tip has just come to mind - take flags with you.  It looks very jolly when all the boats are flying lots of assorted bunting.

Conchil Le Temple
France
Reply | Threaded
|

Roger Barnes 936
Remember also that a U.K. vessel in French waters must be registered (usually under the SSR scheme) and that U.K. regulations about equipment and allowable sailing waters pertain on board not French ones. But if you enter an event like the SdG you undertake to comply with the event rules. There is now no longer a requirement to register U.K. vhf sets if they are hand held (even though this means you don’t get a call sign for you boat) but operators do need to be licensed after taking the required training. This is often ignored, but is obvious from users’ lack of basic RT skills. There really is no reason not to take the course and get the certificate.

From Roger Barnes by mobile

On 16 Jul 2018, at 15:07, Patrick Hay 3474 [via DCA Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Just remembered a couple of things worth mentioning.  

When you see "Le port de la brassière est obligatoire" in the sailing directions for your flotilla, this is not an instruction to female members of your crew to be sure to wear a bra.  It means you must wear a lifejacket/buoyancy aid (though there are always plenty who don't).

In France you don't need a boat's radio licence for a VHF set as long as it can't exceed 5W transmission power.

And another tip has just come to mind - take flags with you.  It looks very jolly when all the boats are flying lots of assorted bunting.

Conchil Le Temple
France

http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/La-Semaine-Du-Golfe-Du-Morbihan-tp1343p1352.html
NAML
Roger Barnes
President