Lake District and The Broads-Rules and regulations??

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Lake District and The Broads-Rules and regulations??

Brian Chislett 2642
Are there any rules and regulations to comply with if you want to launch and sail  a dinghy or small trailer sailer in the Lake District or the Broads?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Lake District and The Broads-Rules and regulations??

Peter Brooks 3064
Hi
You need a licence to sail on the broads (details on their website). Cost depends on size of boat, and whether you have a motor or not. The 'Licence' consists of an adhesive patch which is difficult to remove.
Hope this helps,
Peter Brooks.
Reply | Threaded
|

Roger Barnes 936
There are no licenses required to sail on the main lakes in the Lake District, except if you want to put a motorised boat on Windermere (including a dinghy with an outboard) when you need to register and display a number - obtainable from the National Park. Otherwise you just launch - although many launching sites require a fee of course. I never bother with an outboard so I don't know the process for obtaining the Windermere registration number, and cannot imagine why anyone would want to put a motorised boat on any of the English lakes anyway. But perhaps that's just me!

On 22 Sep 2017, at 09:09, Peter Brooks 3064 [via DCA Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi
You need a licence to sail on the broads (details on their website). Cost depends on size of boat, and whether you have a motor or not. The 'Licence' consists of an adhesive patch which is difficult to remove.
Hope this helps,
Peter Brooks.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/Lake-District-and-The-Broads-Rules-and-regulations-tp1076p1078.html
To start a new topic under Flotsam & Jetsam: Everything else dinghy cruising, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from DCA Forum, click here.
NAML

Roger Barnes
President
Dinghy Cruising Association

president@dinghycruising.org.uk
Reply | Threaded
|

Roy Clements 3039
In reply to this post by Brian Chislett 2642
Hi there,

maps available from the Tourist Office/Lake information Centres/Lake District National Park... indicate whether the shoreline and launch sites are private or public

Coniston Hall Campsite has direct access to the lake and their shoreline for a fee, but no vehicles are allowed onto the lake edge there. Boats/trailers need to be light enough to manhandle.

Waterside Campsite on Ullswater also has direct access to the lake, again for a fee, where a vehicle can be used for launching

As far as I'm aware, carried craft such as Kayaks and inflatables don't attract a fee, but it's still worth checking whether the shorelines are private, as you may be challenged if landing for a lunch stop

You obviously pay for the campsites, but they do offer a higher level of security when leaving car/trailer combinations near slipways

Roy
Reply | Threaded
|

Michael Wilkinson 3461
I visited the Lake Warden's office only this week.  There is an office a mile or so south of Bowness on Windermere.  There's a marina, slipway and good parking for trailers.

Rules are: no registration or fee to use a non-powered craft on the lake.

An auxiliary electric outboard that you hope never to use but just have for emergencies counts as power, but he said this with a nod and a wink.

Any powered craft, you pay a registration fee for the year and you have to display a number.  The combined fee is quite a lot but lasts all year.

Some free slips are available.  The one south of Bowness is free if you don't launch using your vehicle and I think he said £12 if you do use your vehicle.  There is a £10 all day parking charge, though.