Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Making a new boat tent

Roger Barnes 936
Having acquired my mum's old sewing machine, a new boat tent is my plan for this spring. My last tent was ordinary cotton duck, but I am wondering about a different fabric this time. What fabrics have people used and what is their experience of them?
Roger Barnes
President
Dinghy Cruising Association

president@dinghycruising.org.uk
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Making a new boat tent

John Lidstone 1503

Roger, I'm astonished and impressed that you are considering an alternative to cotton duck. You'll be ditching the hair shirt soon!

I've just used Marchem Top Notch 9. The 9 refers to 9 oz per square yard and is a little lighter than the usual 11. (I'm sure you also know about the differing ways that fabric weight can be specified.) It is designed for lighter boat covers and is reputedly breathable.

Although mine looks a little like a sailing spray hood it is actually too large for sailing and is only erected at anchor, so the lighter weight fabric is ok. I haven't yet closed it in at the aft end so can't totally comment on the breathability. I like the slight flexibility of the fabric which allows it to be pulled tight to straighten out the creases and I like that it is easy to fold up small (ish).

I bent the aluminium tubes and pinned up the TopNotch seams which I then had sewn up by George Benney, Plymouth. Lucky-you having a machine! I would say it is a light enough fabric to use a domestic sewing machine.

Cheers

John

From: Roger Barnes 936 [via DCA Forum] <ml+[hidden email]>
Sent: 10 February 2018 15:39
To: John Lidstone 1503
Subject: Making a new boat tent

Having acquired my mum's old sewing machine, a new boat tent is my plan for this spring. My last tent was ordinary cotton duck, but I am wondering about a different fabric this time. What fabrics have people used and what is their experience of them?
Roger Barnes
President

[hidden email]

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/Making-a-new-boat-tent-tp1175.html

To start a new topic under Flotsam & Jetsam: Everything else dinghy cruising, email ml+[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from DCA Forum, click here.
NAML

WP_20170706_19_47_51_Pro.jpg (1M) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
|

Roger Barnes 936
I may end up back with cotton duck - but I notice that Blacks of Greenock now use polycotton on their patrol tents. There is also the expensive option of Ventile. But boat covers are often made of a synthetic canvas, I see. So I am keeping an open mind...

On 10 Feb 2018, at 17:32, John Lidstone 1503 [via DCA Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Roger, I'm astonished and impressed that you are considering an alternative to cotton duck. You'll be ditching the hair shirt soon!
I've just used Marchem Top Notch 9. The 9 refers to 9 oz per square yard and is a little lighter than the usual 11. (I'm sure you also know about the differing ways that fabric weight can be specified.) It is designed for lighter boat covers and is reputedly breathable.
Although mine looks a little like a sailing spray hood it is actually too large for sailing and is only erected at anchor, so the lighter weight fabric is ok. I haven't yet closed it in at the aft end so can't totally comment on the breathability. I like the slight flexibility of the fabric which allows it to be pulled tight to straighten out the creases and I like that it is easy to fold up small (ish).
I bent the aluminium tubes and pinned up the TopNotch seams which I then had sewn up by George Benney, Plymouth. Lucky-you having a machine! I would say it is a light enough fabric to use a domestic sewing machine.

Cheers

John

From: Roger Barnes 936 [via DCA Forum] <ml+<a href="x-msg://26/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=1176&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]>
Sent: 10 February 2018 15:39
To: John Lidstone 1503
Subject: Making a new boat tent

Roger Barnes
President

<a href="x-msg://26/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=1176&amp;i=1" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]

http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/Making-a-new-boat-tent-tp1175.html

To start a new topic under Flotsam & Jetsam: Everything else dinghy cruising, email ml+<a href="x-msg://26/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=1176&amp;i=2" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from DCA Forum, click here.
NAML

WP_20170706_19_47_51_Pro.jpg (1M) Download Attachment

http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/Making-a-new-boat-tent-tp1175p1176.html
To start a new topic under Flotsam & Jetsam: Everything else dinghy cruising, [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Making a new boat tent, click here.
NAML

Roger Barnes
President

president@dinghycruising.org.uk
Reply | Threaded
|

Osbert Lancaster 2756
Administrator
In reply to this post by Roger Barnes 936
I used PU coated nylon. It was cheap and I didn’t want to splash out on something more expensive, and breathable, for what was essentially a prototype.

Two problems: condensation and stretch. Nylon stretches when wet so lines need to be tightened to prevent sagging.

A bit about the tent here:
https://forthsailoar.osbert.org/2011/07/04/boat-tent-an-elegant-but-damp-solution/
"Selkie", a Drake rowing boat by Clint Chase
"Scratch", a Walkabout dinghy by John Welsford
Mainly sailing and rowing on the Firth of Forth
forthsailoar.osbert.org
Reply | Threaded
|

Gerald Turner 2924
In reply to this post by Roger Barnes 936
Will this new tent be Achitect designed, or just an amatuer lash up?😁