classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Justin Bennett 3578
I bought a Lune Whammel Coastal Weekender at the end of last summer. She is made by Character Boats and is 17'6" open decked gaff rigged day-boat. The hull design is based on the working fishing boats once used in Morecambe Bay and river Lune. She' called La Lune' but I'm thinking of changing her name to Lu Lu. Is changing a boat's name bad luck?

I used to sail a Mirror dinghy and then a Fireball on the River Blackwater when I was a kid and sometimes get a go pulling ropes on a friend's Moody 36 in the Solent.

I only got time/weather for one sail at the end of last summer just after I bought her and that was just a few hours pottering about in the river Hamble. As the weather's so good at the moment I'm thinking about taking her for a spin at the weekend. High tide at Chichester is about 1400 hours, so not ideal for a day trip. Otherwise I might look closer at the Weir Wood reservoir in East Grinstead. Has anyone sailed there? Is it members only? Does anyone know anywhere not too far from Redhill, Surrey that might be good for a day sail? I was thinking of going down on the Friday, rig and launch in time for Saturday when my wife, two children and the dog could join me for some gentle sailing.

I'm considering joining the Raid on the Caledonian canal in May. How do I find out more about this and other get togethers in 2019?

I am also hoping to go to the Dinghy Sailing Show at the beginning of march and will paying a visit to the DCA stand.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New member

Steve Shone 3398
Hello, Justin.
Nice to hear that there's another Coastal Weekender 'on the books', though I'm a long way from you here in the more isolated reaches of the Danelaw.
Superstition dictates that to change a boat's name will bring bad luck but I'd not let it worry you - perhaps avoid whistling on board though, just in case!
I quickly removed the awful name on my boat when I bought it - 'Shoegazing', for goodness sake! It now lives its life nameless apart from being known as the Whammel. One day I may be inspired to affix another to its bows.

Steve
Steve and Eileen - ex-Dabber sailors, almost ex-Cape Cutter 19 sailors, now Lune Whammel Coastal Weekender sailors. Based in East Yorkshire and looking forward to some DCA rallies.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New member

Rob Stracey 2676
In reply to this post by Justin Bennett 3578
An old tug skipper once told me (although this could be wrong, he often was ) in days gone by, a ships name would be carved into a structural member of the vessels hull (these days the IMO number is engraved into the steel, usually in the engine room).  Therefore cutting out that member and scarfing in a new one to carve the new name would weaken the vessel, leading to the superstition about changing a boats name.

In terms of sailing locations, i'm also based in surrey, although a little further west, and I have found its best to trail down to the coast, local lakes all seem a bit to small to me.  I can recommend Warsash on the Hamble as its got a decent free car park and a free slip.  although this central stretch of the Solent can be hectic on a warm weekend.  Although I launched from there Monday before last and mad it all the way to Cowes without seeing a single sail!

Congratulations on the new boat!
Cheers,
Rob