Quantcast

Proposed cruise to the Isle of Man, summer 2017, ideas please?

Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Proposed cruise to the Isle of Man, summer 2017, ideas please?

Jerry Evans 2510
It's that time of year again, deciding where to go sailing in Tropical Kitt.
For part of this year's plan I would like to sail to the I O M, from my base at the Vanguard Sailing Club of Workington, then spend a week or more exploring the island. I have not been there before so it will be another new adventure. The Pilot book has been studied as well as information from other sources.

Now it is your opportunity to help fellow DCA members and me by sharing your expert advice regarding specific favourite places to drop the hook, or indeed where not to. My preference is to avoid marinas as they hurt my wallet too much, although they offer peace of mind and much more to those who want all mod cons. Quiet, out of the way anchorages are havens for us and are my idea of heaven.

If you have sailed round the IOM or have a tale to tell about your own experiences there, do share it with us please.

Jerry in Cumbria.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Proposed cruise to the Isle of Man, summer 2017, ideas please?

John Starkie 2816
Hi Jerry,

I once sailed to the Isle of Man,  but in a tall ship not a dinghy!   We moored alongside (Castletown,  I think),  but a heavy swell kept us working on the warps all night.

The island is lovely:  truly faerie-land.
The people are friendly.
The whole place seems relaxed into an ancient slumber,  although (when I was there 30 years ago) there was an undercurrent of deprivation;  not poverty,  but down-at-heel.  

It's a place I'd like to visit again:  do keep us informed.

John
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Proposed cruise to the Isle of Man, summer 2017, ideas please?

Roger Barnes 936
I've sailed to Peel and Douglas. Peel is much nicer. In those days it was a drying harbour but I believe it now has a tidal gate. Great place. Don't underestimate the strength of the tidal streams running along the coast though. 

From Roger Barnes by mobile

On 11 Feb 2017, at 10:07, John Starkie 2816 [via DCA Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Jerry,

I once sailed to the Isle of Man,  but in a tall ship not a dinghy!   We moored alongside (Castletown,  I think),  but a heavy swell kept us working on the warps all night.

The island is lovely:  truly faerie-land.
The people are friendly.
The whole place seems relaxed into an ancient slumber,  although (when I was there 30 years ago) there was an undercurrent of deprivation;  not poverty,  but down-at-heel.  

It's a place I'd like to visit again:  do keep us informed.

John


If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/Proposed-cruise-to-the-Isle-of-Man-summer-2017-ideas-please-tp709p711.html
To start a new topic under Rallies, Raids & Cruises: planning & places, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from DCA Forum, click here.
NAML
Roger Barnes
President
Dinghy Cruising Association

president@dinghycruising.org.uk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Proposed cruise to the Isle of Man, summer 2017, ideas please?

Jerry Evans 2510
Thanks for that input guys, I will post possible dates when they are decided.
Of course these plans could be modified, should there be any interest from other skippers who would like to make this a cruise in company.
Jerry in Cumbria.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Proposed cruise to the Isle of Man, summer 2017, ideas please?

harrm
Morning Jerry,

A couple of years ago, I was involved with an open water swim at Port Elgin at the south of the isle Of Man. It is a beautiful bay although the water was cold and there were jelly fish, although fortunately I did not get stung. The bay drys out to an extent but would be a lovely bay to anchor in. Do you have any dates in mind and are you looking for crew.

Regards,

Mike Harrington.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Proposed cruise to the Isle of Man, summer 2017, ideas please?

Jerry Evans 2510
Hi Mike, thanks for that info. on Port Erin, no specific dates yet, maybe late May into June? There has been some interest from fellow members of the Vanguard S.C., or that may turn out to just be curiosity. The V.S.C. A.G.M. is on 21st March so we may have some commitment, or not.

I have permission, from a higher authority, that I may yet have a chance venture to the west coast of Scotland again this year. It is NOT ruled out. It would be a pity not to use all those charts and pilot books again wouldn't it?

Sorry Mike, nothing personal, but being somewhat Bligh like, it is better that I sail single handed. I believe you have a Swift 18, just the job for a sail in company?

The I.O.M. trip may extend for more than a week if the weather allows. It would be great to extend the cruise to the west side, not only the east. I would probably be sailing directly from my club mooring at Workington or via Ravenglass. There is a slip there too. It would make a good launch/rendezvous point.

Provisional dates will be posted as soon as things begin to take shape. Still hoping for more interest from other boats, plenty of time yet, so please get in touch.

Jerry in Cumbria.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Proposed cruise to the Isle of Man, summer 2017, ideas please?

harrm
Hi Jerry,

My apologies firstly for the delay in replying to your email, I have been busy at work recently and was sailing and cycling over the weekend. Unfortunately, we have sold the Swift 18. Our decision to sell came about after we had completed our sail in Scotland when we came to the conclusion that we were spending more time maintaining the boat rather than sailing it and as we only have the weekends free and it is a long drive from home to Coniston where we kept it we decided to keep our Wanderer and sell the Swift.

The Isle Of Man trip I have competed previously as part of a mile building course from Conwy Marina sometime ago and would like to do it again. I have spoken to a friend at Wigan Sailing Club who has a yacht at Maryport to see if he might be interested but it depends on the date.

Unfortunately as I work in a school and am tied to school holidays of which May is already booked up as I will be sailing in Greece, it rather restricts me for time. I have previously considered doing the trip in my Wanderer which of course would be safer as part of a "Flotilla" but again I think time restrictions would count this out.

I think I will have to count this trip out for this year.

Regards,

Mike Harrington.




Sent from my iPad



On 9 Mar 2017, at 22:02, Jerry Evans 2510 [via DCA Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Mike, thanks for that info. on Port Erin, no specific dates yet, maybe late May into June? There has been some interest from fellow members of the Vanguard S.C., or that may turn out to just be curiosity. The V.S.C. A.G.M. is on 21st March so we may have some commitment, or not.

I have permission, from a higher authority, that I may yet have a chance venture to the west coast of Scotland again this year. It is NOT ruled out. It would be a pity not to use all those charts and pilot books again wouldn't it?

Sorry Mike, nothing personal, but being somewhat Bligh like, it is better that I sail single handed. I believe you have a Swift 18, just the job for a sail in company?

The I.O.M. trip may extend for more than a week if the weather allows. It would be great to extend the cruise to the west side, not only the east. I would probably be sailing directly from my club mooring at Workington or via Ravenglass. There is a slip there too. It would make a good launch/rendezvous point.

Provisional dates will be posted as soon as things begin to take shape. Still hoping for more interest from other boats, plenty of time yet, so please get in touch.

Jerry in Cumbria.


If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/Proposed-cruise-to-the-Isle-of-Man-summer-2017-ideas-please-tp709p755.html
To unsubscribe from Proposed cruise to the Isle of Man, summer 2017, ideas please?, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Proposed cruise to the Isle of Man, summer 2017, ideas please?

Jerry Evans 2510
Hello Mike.
Sorry you have sold your swift and are now 'lidless'. Perhaps another time, with another boat?

If you can get your mate sailing from Maryport to propose his available dates, that would be good, may be possible to accommodate him. We shall see By all means give him my email address.

Jerry


On Monday, 13 March 2017, 8:52, harrm [via DCA Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:


Hi Jerry,

My apologies firstly for the delay in replying to your email, I have been busy at work recently and was sailing and cycling over the weekend. Unfortunately, we have sold the Swift 18. Our decision to sell came about after we had completed our sail in Scotland when we came to the conclusion that we were spending more time maintaining the boat rather than sailing it and as we only have the weekends free and it is a long drive from home to Coniston where we kept it we decided to keep our Wanderer and sell the Swift.

The Isle Of Man trip I have competed previously as part of a mile building course from Conwy Marina sometime ago and would like to do it again. I have spoken to a friend at Wigan Sailing Club who has a yacht at Maryport to see if he might be interested but it depends on the date.

Unfortunately as I work in a school and am tied to school holidays of which May is already booked up as I will be sailing in Greece, it rather restricts me for time. I have previously considered doing the trip in my Wanderer which of course would be safer as part of a "Flotilla" but again I think time restrictions would count this out.

I think I will have to count this trip out for this year.

Regards,

Mike Harrington.




Sent from my iPad



On 9 Mar 2017, at 22:02, Jerry Evans 2510 [via DCA Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Mike, thanks for that info. on Port Erin, no specific dates yet, maybe late May into June? There has been some interest from fellow members of the Vanguard S.C., or that may turn out to just be curiosity. The V.S.C. A.G.M. is on 21st March so we may have some commitment, or not.

I have permission, from a higher authority, that I may yet have a chance venture to the west coast of Scotland again this year. It is NOT ruled out. It would be a pity not to use all those charts and pilot books again wouldn't it?

Sorry Mike, nothing personal, but being somewhat Bligh like, it is better that I sail single handed. I believe you have a Swift 18, just the job for a sail in company?

The I.O.M. trip may extend for more than a week if the weather allows. It would be great to extend the cruise to the west side, not only the east. I would probably be sailing directly from my club mooring at Workington or via Ravenglass. There is a slip there too. It would make a good launch/rendezvous point.

Provisional dates will be posted as soon as things begin to take shape. Still hoping for more interest from other boats, plenty of time yet, so please get in touch.

Jerry in Cumbria.


If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/Proposed-cruise-to-the-Isle-of-Man-summer-2017-ideas-please-tp709p755.html
To unsubscribe from Proposed cruise to the Isle of Man, summer 2017, ideas please?, click here.
NAML



If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/Proposed-cruise-to-the-Isle-of-Man-summer-2017-ideas-please-tp709p757.html
To unsubscribe from Proposed cruise to the Isle of Man, summer 2017, ideas please?, click here.
NAML


Loading...