classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Pumps

Pete Menear
I have decided to fit port and st'bd pumps to my Wayfarer mk2 [fibreglass] and would appreciate any ideas which save me on "thinking time".
I have ruled out exit holes in the hull, and am thinking of putting the outflow into the centreboard caseing,
has anyone done this before and is it an ok idea??
 Can a single strum box serve both draw tubes ?
       Would appreciate any help. Pete
Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: Pumps

Gerald Turner 2924
On the Hostellers elderly Wayfarer, the pump is fitted to the side of the centre case,the inlet goes thru the bottom boards ,and the exhaust is directed by a short length of hose jammed into the slot, when needed to pump ,the hose is slipped on .
Mind you ,it's best to hold it in position.

Simples!
Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: Pumps

Jerry Evans 2510
In reply to this post by Pete Menear
Hi Pete,
here is my two pen'orth, based upon the little information we have, maybe too late?

Two pumps! will require two strum boxes, to collect from port and starboard bilges.

One pump, with a Y valve, could drain either port or starboard. If a bigger pump it could shift as much as two pumps.

One strum box can of course only collect from one place if fixed. If loose it could be placed where required, (then what is the point of fitting two pumps?)

By all means use the C/B case for the outflow, it is often advocated, but the challenge is how to run the pipework without obstructing the cockpit space or restricting the water flow using pipe elbows. Might the pipe fit under the thwart without an elbow? Why not through the hull?

My personal view for your Wayfarer, fit self-bailers, Elvestrom/Andersen, Saylon or similar, this for removing water when sailing, or motoring. Sorry not up with current makes. Use a bucket if there is a great deal. If for removing rainwater, a single fixed pump with suction pipe long enough to reach either side of C/B case. You can trim the boat to bring the water to a convenient point when nearly dry. You will still need to sponge out anyway. I think it best to keep it simple, bucket & sponge. I am currently using two Saylon self bailers which still suck well after 42 years. I have two other diaphragm pumps, Henderson Mk 5 and a Chimp. I don't think it worth fitting them as a bucket works fine.

I hope you find a satisfactory solution Pete.

Jerry

On Wednesday, 17 August 2016, 11:00, Pete Menear [via DCA Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have decided to fit port and st'bd pumps to my Wayfarer mk2 [fibreglass] and would appreciate any ideas which save me on "thinking time".
I have ruled out exit holes in the hull, and am thinking of putting the outflow into the centreboard caseing,
has anyone done this before and is it an ok idea??
 Can a single strum box serve both draw tubes ?
       Would appreciate any help. Pete

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/Pumps-tp558.html
To unsubscribe from FAQs & Forum Issues, click here.
NAML