classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Sail caledonia

Andy Biggs 3272
Hi I wondered if any one had experience of the sail Caledonia raid

Looks organised and not cheap but is it worth it?

Thanks Andy
Drascombe coaster - kathleen
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Sail caledonia

Bill Haylock 3130
Hi Andy,

Jack O'Keeffe has done it. He's now a DCA member as well as DA, so you can get his contact details in the Member's area of the DCA website, or I can e-mail you if you don't have his e-mail address already.

Bill
Reply | Threaded
|

Osbert Lancaster 2756
Administrator
In reply to this post by Andy Biggs 3272
Hi Andy

I've done Sail Caledonia four times (I think!). Much of the stuff on my blog (see below) is about my experience on Sail Caley (as the old hands call it!).

It's a great opportunity to have a week's concentrated sailing - usually in a range of conditions. I found it particularly valuable in providing a supported environment to go closer to the edge of my experience and comfort than I would sailing alone. (Which is my other main option.)

First year: I put my Walkabout through her paces, and learnt a huge amount about her performance and my abilities. Including capsize tests (intentional and unintentional).

Second year: Crewed for my father with my daughter and my sister in an elderly Orkney Yole. A big ambition met for my father. He had the luxury accommodation on the barge, the rest of us camped.

Third year: Walkabout again, but with two grown up daughters - which was a bit of a squash, especially rowing. But great experience for them - and fun for me.

Fourth year: Apart from a couple of short splashes, the first time my newly completed Drake rowing boat was in the water. I was on the water in conditions I would not have attempted alone or without safety cover, and discovered how well the boat performed, giving me huge confidence in her abilities.

The opportunity to chat with lots of boaty people is great, see how different boats perform is good too. Obviously you'd get that on a DCA rally too. The benefit of Sail Caley apart from the safety cover (and in my four trips, we were 'beginners' in the conditions), is the fact that food and accommodation is sorted out for you, so you can concentrate on the sailing (and rowing).

I'll not be going this year. While I've enjoyed it greatly, I am looking forward to some more relaxed cruising, not be subject to the demands of getting to the next campsite, the next lock etc. More hanging about on the beach, with campfires, etc. I'll probably go back sometime though.

Any specific questions, just ask.
"Selkie", a Drake rowing boat by Clint Chase
"Scratch", a Walkabout dinghy by John Welsford
Mainly sailing and rowing on the Firth of Forth
forthsailoar.osbert.org
Reply | Threaded
|

Andy Biggs 3272
Hi - many thanks for your experiences - we'd sleep on our boat - a Drascombe Coaster which we are used to. Its a beautiful landscape.

Andy
Reply | Threaded
|

Osbert Lancaster 2756
Administrator
Sleeping on the boat is a great option. I slept on my Walkabout, but camped other times. Boat is generally closer to the facilities, which are usually the Scottish Canals toilet blocks.

There are usually at least one Drascombe.

Overall it's a great event; organisers are professional, well organised and friendly. Most are volunteers who've done it for years and love it. Might feel a little over organised for some perhaps, but that's probably inevitable given the need to get boats through locks and along the canal to a schedule.
"Selkie", a Drake rowing boat by Clint Chase
"Scratch", a Walkabout dinghy by John Welsford
Mainly sailing and rowing on the Firth of Forth
forthsailoar.osbert.org
Reply | Threaded
|

Andy Biggs 3272
thanks for the advice

After a bit of thought - yes it is expensive - we've signed up in our Drascombe Coaster. I'll let you know how it goes.