Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Sailing on the dart with 20kt winds

Steve Parke 2986
I was planning on sailing the dart tomorrow but forecasts predict 20kt winds from NNW through NNE and gust from 19 to 30 kts depending on which forecast you go with.
As I have no experience of sailing on the Dart .......any views? I'm l earning towards cancelling but then think it would be good experience...and then lean towards cancelling the trip. I sail a Welsford navigator standing lug yawl and normally sail waters of Tamar and sound. This would be the strongest winds I've been out in if I go.
Any advice appreciated
Steve
Steve
Arwen's Meanderings
www.arwensmeanderings.blogspot.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Sailing on the dart with 20kt winds

Roger Barnes 936
I never know what knots mean in terms of wind speed, as I only think Beaufort, but the inshore forecast is for between F4 and F6 which seems fine for inland waters. The Dart is much more sheltered than the Tamar, with much less tidal flow. The upper reaches are basically a lake. Where were you thinking of launching?

On 30 May 2016, at 17:39, Steve Parke 2986 [via DCA Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

I was planning on sailing the dart tomorrow but forecasts predict 20kt winds from NNW through NNE and gust from 19 to 30 kts depending on which forecast you go with.
As I have no experience of sailing on the Dart .......any views? I'm l earning towards cancelling but then think it would be good experience...and then lean towards cancelling the trip. I sail a Welsford navigator standing lug yawl and normally sail waters of Tamar and sound. This would be the strongest winds I've been out in if I go.
Any advice appreciated
Steve
Steve
Arwen's Meanderings

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/Sailing-on-the-dart-with-20kt-winds-tp450.html
To start a new topic under Rallies, Raids & Cruises: planning & places, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from DCA Forum, click here.
NAML

Roger Barnes
President
Dinghy Cruising Association

president@dinghycruising.org.uk
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve Parke 2986
Blackness marine was recommended to me halfway up the dart and I can leave car and trailer. It's down a set of lanes and just down from Stoke gabriel on the other side?
Steve
Arwen's Meanderings
Reply | Threaded
|

Roger Barnes 936
I have never launched there (but various times at Stoke Gabriel). I am sure you will be fine up there. R

On 30 May 2016, at 18:10, Steve Parke 2986 [via DCA Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Blackness marine was recommended to me halfway up the dart and I can leave car and trailer. It's down a set of lanes and just down from Stoke gabriel on the other side?
Steve
Arwen's Meanderings

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/Sailing-on-the-dart-with-20kt-winds-tp450p452.html
To start a new topic under Rallies, Raids & Cruises: planning & places, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from DCA Forum, click here.
NAML

Roger Barnes
President
Dinghy Cruising Association

president@dinghycruising.org.uk