classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1 message Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

South West Rally 24-25 September LUNDY and CLOVELLY

Roger Barnes 936
Further details of this rally.

I have a French journalist from Le Chasse-Maree coming over from Douarnenez to write about us. He will be catching the ferry to Plymouth on Thursday and so I want to entertain him in the westcountry rather than drive with him all the way to the Solent to go to the Newtown rally. This is why, at very short notice, we have decided to sail from Appledore to the isle of Lundy via Clovelly.

The itinerary: leave Appledore at noon to sail to Clovelly on Saturday. Leave Clovelly mid morning to sail to Lundy on Sunday. Lundy to Appledore on Monday, arriving on Bideford bar about 2pm. Neep tides. High water in the middle of the day. There is a very good all tide slipway in Appledore with a car park adjacent.

I never really believe weather forecasts for wind strength and direction much more than 48 hours in advance, but at present fairly light W to SW winds are forecast. But there are lots of Atlantic weather systems approaching, and we will be relying on high pressure over the Baltic to send them all into Scotland, and away from England. The big computers have a 70% confidence that will happen. We shall see. If the weather is foul we will probable sail in the shelter of the Tamar instead.

If you have not sailed to either of them, both Clovelly and Lundy are utterly fascinating. You would not believe you were in North Devon, but rather somewhere in the Outer Hebrides, (but hopefully without the strong winds that are going to hit them this weekend). The Bristol Channel can be rather lumpy, but it is a wild, grand and magnificent sailing area, largely free from pleasure craft. We will probably not see another yacht out sailing all weekend.

Clovelly is a little drying harbour, protected from the west by an ancient stone breakwater, and remarkably unspoilt. The houses around the harbour are still lived in by fishermen, not holidaymakers. It can suffer from surge and an array of good long warps are needed - at least 20m long. Lundy has no harbours or sheltered bays, and it is a case of anchoring off under the shelter of its 400ft high cliffs. You’ll need good ground tackle - two decent anchors really with 40m rodes - and a toy rubber dinghy of you want to get ashore. The island is a cliff-girt plateau some 4 miles long, with remarkable wildlife, a range of interesting buildings and an excellent pub.

Let me know if you are interested in joining us. I hope so.

Roger

Roger Barnes
President
Dinghy Cruising Association 

43 Witham Friary
Frome
Somerset
BA11 5HF

07801 263278
[hidden email]

On 18 Sep 2016, at 15:45, Roger Barnes 936 [via DCA Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

I am proposing a Bristol Channel rally for this weekend. Appledore to Lundy and back. There is also a possibility of going to Clovelly from Lundy, which would mean returning to Appledore by late afternoon on the Monday. High tides are in the middle of the day to early afternoon - neeps - so we would leave Appledore around midday on the Saturday. For what it is worth, light to moderate south and southwest winds are presently forecast, and fair weather. I will have a journalist from the French magazine Le Chasse Maree with me, called Jacques. He is Dutch by birth and so speaks good English. I had thought of going to the Newtown Creek rally but this would probably be more exciting, and as Jacques is arriving in Plymouth ferry port, more convenient for him.
Roger Barnes
President

[hidden email]

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/Additional-South-West-Rally-24-25-September-LUNDY-and-CLOVELLY-tp589.html
To start a new topic under Rallies, Raids & Cruises: planning & places, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from DCA Forum, click here.
NAML

Roger Barnes
President

president@dinghycruising.org.uk