classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

South-West group Malpas rally 8/9 July 2017

David Platten 2616
I've checked out the rendevous at Malpas and can offer the following info, which may be of help.

Anchoring off is possible; drying out on mud at the edge of the channel is not, as there is no access to the steep-to shore from there. We are welcome to use the midstream pontoon, which belongs to a private boatyard/small marina, but they ask us not to moor up overnight to their landing stage as there would be insufficient room for their paid-up clients to come and go. They suggest using one of the boats as a tender to convey people to the landing stage, then to return that boat to the midstream pontoon (which is about 50 yards off) and for the 'pilot' of that boat to make his/her way ashore by inflatable! There is a charge, payable via honesty box, of £1.50 per head for use of pontoon and/or landing stage. I do have a 6' beach-toy inflatable (actually a little bit more robust, but not much!) which I can bring down to Malpas by, say, 1800 hrs on the Saturday evening. Unfortunately, I cannot be on the water that week-end, but will be able to join people at the pub for the evening. The pub, incidentally, is not as listed in the current bulletin, but is the Heron Inn, TR1 1SL, 50 yards up the road from the boatyard. They are expecting us but would like to know how many there will be - it being a popular venue and a Saturday evening!

If you are planning to attend this rally, could you please let me know, a.s.a.p. either by email to dgmplatten@gmail.com or call me on 01208 264079(landline) or text me on 07964 056627(mobile).

Many thanks, David
Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: South-West group Malpas rally 8/9 July 2017

Roger Barnes 936
Might it be better to change the venue to Ruan Lanihorne then, where you can dry out alongside at the head of the creek and then go to this pub? http://www.kings-head-roseland.co.uk/

From Roger Barnes by mobile

On 26 Jun 2017, at 19:28, David Platten 2616 [via DCA Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

I've checked out the rendevous at Malpas and can offer the following info, which may be of help.

Anchoring off is possible; drying out on mud at the edge of the channel is not, as there is no access to the steep-to shore from there. We are welcome to use the midstream pontoon, which belongs to a private boatyard/small marina, but they ask us not to moor up overnight to their landing stage as there would be insufficient room for their paid-up clients to come and go. They suggest using one of the boats as a tender to convey people to the landing stage, then to return that boat to the midstream pontoon (which is about 50 yards off) and for the 'pilot' of that boat to make his/her way ashore by inflatable! There is a charge, payable via honesty box, of £1.50 per head for use of pontoon and/or landing stage. I do have a 6' beach-toy inflatable (actually a little bit more robust, but not much!) which I can bring down to Malpas by, say, 1800 hrs on the Saturday evening. Unfortunately, I cannot be on the water that week-end, but will be able to join people at the pub for the evening. The pub, incidentally, is not as listed in the current bulletin, but is the Heron Inn, TR1 1SL, 50 yards up the road from the boatyard. They are expecting us but would like to know how many there will be - it being a popular venue and a Saturday evening!

If you are planning to attend this rally, could you please let me know, a.s.a.p. either by email to [hidden email] or call me on 01208 264079(landline) or text me on 07964 056627(mobile).

Many thanks, David

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/South-West-group-Malpas-rally-8-9-July-2017-tp980.html
To start a new topic under Rallies, Raids & Cruises: planning & places, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from DCA Forum, click here.
NAML
Roger Barnes
President
Dinghy Cruising Association

president@dinghycruising.org.uk
Reply | Threaded
|  

David Platten 2616
I've just had a look at this, Roger, and it seems like rather a good idea. Apart from access complications at Malpas, the pub there is likely to be VERY crowded. SO, LET'S DO IT! New venue: the King's Head at the top of the creek at Ruan Lanihorne. Tides are effectively same as for Malpas. I can be there from 6 p.m. Please, anyone planning on joining this rally, let me know if you're coming, so I can warn the pub. Regards, David.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Roger Barnes 936
I remember the Ruan Lanihorne venue fondly from a number of years back. I will try to be there. R

On 27 Jun 2017, at 22:49, David Platten 2616 [via DCA Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

I've just had a look at this, Roger, and it seems like rather a good idea. Apart from access complications at Malpas, the pub there is likely to be VERY crowded. SO, LET'S DO IT! New venue: the King's Head at the top of the creek at Ruan Lanihorne. Tides are effectively same as for Malpas. I can be there from 6 p.m. Please, anyone planning on joining this rally, let me know if you're coming, so I can warn the pub. Regards, David.

http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/South-West-group-Malpas-rally-8-9-July-2017-tp980p982.html
To start a new topic under Rallies, Raids & Cruises: planning & places, email [hidden email]
NAML

Roger Barnes
President

Reply | Threaded
|  

John Lidstone 1503
In reply to this post by David Platten 2616

David,

I am hoping to sail there from Saltash but of course it depends on the weather so I can't say for certain.

I have done a little research on Ruan Lanihorne because it is new to me. I was particularly interested in the drying height of the creek at the quay which is quoted as being 3.3m. Please feel free to circulate the attachment if you see fit although I am sure many of the SW Group will be fully aware of all this anyway.

Regards

John

From: David Platten 2616 [via DCA Forum] <ml+[hidden email]>
Sent: 27 June 2017 21:49
To: John Lidstone 1503
Subject: Re: South-West group Malpas rally 8/9 July 2017

http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/South-West-group-Malpas-rally-8-9-July-2017-tp980p982.html

To start a new topic under Rallies, Raids & Cruises: planning & places, email ml+[hidden email]
NAML

Regarding the rally at Ruan Lanihorne.pdf (1020K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
|  

David Platten 2616
Don't seem to have the attachment, John, but I understand that there's enough water at high tide for dinghies (and Spiders...) to come alongside. It would be great to see you there, W&WP. Kind regards, David

On 1 July 2017 at 16:03, John Lidstone 1503 [via DCA Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

David,

I am hoping to sail there from Saltash but of course it depends on the weather so I can't say for certain.

I have done a little research on Ruan Lanihorne because it is new to me. I was particularly interested in the drying height of the creek at the quay which is quoted as being 3.3m. Please feel free to circulate the attachment if you see fit although I am sure many of the SW Group will be fully aware of all this anyway.

Regards

John

South-West group Malpas rally 8/9 July 2017. I've checked out the rendevous at Malpas and can offer the following info, which may be of help. Anchoring off is possible; drying out on mud at the edge...

To start a new topic under Rallies, Raids & Cruises: planning & places, email ml+[hidden email]
NAML

http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/South-West-group-Malpas-rally-8-9-July-2017-tp980p985.html
To unsubscribe from South-West group Malpas rally 8/9 July 2017, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|  

David Platten 2616
In reply to this post by John Lidstone 1503
Oops... found the attachment. Will circulate.
Regards, D.

On 1 July 2017 at 16:03, John Lidstone 1503 [via DCA Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

David,

Regards

John

South-West group Malpas rally 8/9 July 2017. I've checked out the rendevous at Malpas and can offer the following info, which may be of help. Anchoring off is possible; drying out on mud at the edge...

NAML

http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/South-West-group-Malpas-rally-8-9-July-2017-tp980p985.html
To unsubscribe from South-West group Malpas rally 8/9 July 2017, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|  

Roger Barnes 936
In reply to this post by John Lidstone 1503
The tidal height for HW next Saturday is 4.70m above chart datum.

R

Roger Barnes
President

43 Witham Friary
Frome
Somerset
BA11 5HF

07801 263278
[hidden email]

On 1 Jul 2017, at 16:03, John Lidstone 1503 [via DCA Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

David,

Regards

John

From: David Platten 2616 [via DCA Forum] <ml+<a href="x-msg://7/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=985&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]>

To start a new topic under Rallies, Raids & Cruises: planning & places, email ml+<a href="x-msg://7/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=985&amp;i=1" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]
NAML

NAML

Roger Barnes
President

Reply | Threaded
|  

John Lidstone 1503

Thanks, Roger.

I think there will just be width for me in the entrance ditch.

As a back-up plan, do you know what the bottom is like for drying out up by the bridge? Any stray stone work lying about?

John

From: Roger Barnes 936 [via DCA Forum] <ml+[hidden email]>
Sent: 02 July 2017 17:29

The tidal height for HW next Saturday is 4.70m above chart datum.

R

Roger Barnes
President

43 Witham Friary
Frome
Somerset
BA11 5HF

07801 263278
[hidden email]

On 1 Jul 2017, at 16:03, John Lidstone 1503 [via DCA Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

David,

Regards

John

From: David Platten 2616 [via DCA Forum] <ml+<a href="x-msg://7/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=985&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]>

To start a new topic under Rallies, Raids & Cruises: planning & places, email ml+<a href="x-msg://7/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=985&amp;i=1" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]
NAML

NAML

Roger Barnes
President

[hidden email]

http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/South-West-group-Malpas-rally-8-9-July-2017-tp980p988.html
NAML