Stowing an anchor safely

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Stowing an anchor safely

Michael Wilkinson 3461
In my powered inflatable, I carry the anchor in an open box with the chain and anchor line flaked into the box.  However, I am confident that the inflatable is going to stay the right way up in any conditions I am going to take it out in.

I want to carry an anchor in my Cormorant, but I need to allow for the risk of capsize and the anchor therefore needs to be secure.  It has to be accessible, but with no danger of it falling overboard or getting tangled in rigging in the event of a capsize.  The dinghy does have under deck stowage, but I'm wary of the anchor rattling about in there and damaging the hull or deck when the boat capsizes and is righted.

I have a Danforth with about 6 feet of chain.  I know it's big enough for the boat.  The only question is what is the safest and best way of stowing it in a sailing dinghy?

Any advice, please?  What do you all do?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Stowing an anchor safely

Rob Stracey 2676
I have my anchor stowed on deck on oak chocks, with chain and warp flaked into a plastic 'trug' from Poundland.
Cheers,
Rob
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Stowing an anchor safely

John Hughes 2457
I like to stow the anchor and chain low down in the boat, i.e. on the floor. To protect the floor, either I use one of those traditional black doormats made out of recycled rubber tyre, or the anchor and chain goes inside an old plastic fish box, of the kind often found washed up on beaches (before beach clean-ups became common).