Tarpon 14 for sale

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Tarpon 14 for sale

John Shirley 3350
I am selling my Tarpon 14 Dinghy. It is a 14ft dinghy designed by Percy Blandford. I was told by the person I bought it off it was constructed in 1962. It is of a double chine construction. It once had a small cuddy which has been removed. I am selling it with a trailer. I have sailed it twice last year. It only leaked a little water in the few hours it was in the water. I would describe its condition as useable but could do with some tidying up. I may have missed some crucial problem though so the best thing would be to have a look for your self. It is in my front garden in Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham. Send me an email via the forum if you are interested. I am open to offers. I am looking for about £200 for it.
Tarpon 14
port side
Bow
Stern
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Tarpon 14 for sale

Keith Muscott 1516
Administrator
I must rush in and say that this boat will be advertised in the next journal, and this morning (March 3) John has agreed with me that he is asking too little for it!

Judging by the photographs and what he has said, it is in remarkable condition for a 1962 hull (if that date is genuine – it was passed on by the last owner). Apart from investigating the centreboard case/hull joint to identify where the leak is, and putting it right, the varnished plywood inside the hull looks really good, with no black water staining in evidence, so I think it has been cared for well. He has found no sign of rot. The spars look in particularly good fettle. Although John says the sails are not as good as one would wish, they look clean enough in the photographs.

The plans for this boat are no longer supplied by the American guy who took over Percy Blandford's designs. The designer intended the Tarpon for precisely our kind of sailing; it is a tough 14ft hull with a modest, safe sail plan, and drawings for a removable plywood cuddy were part of the plans package. It is heavy by modern standards for 14-footers, but that is not a disadvantage in a cruising dinghy. I recall that a cruise account in a Tarpon with specific comments about the boat are in our bulletin archive and so in the CD of articles somewhere (no idea what that crew finally thought of the boat).

A realistic price should be something up to £350 max in my opinion.

Keith

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve Shone 3398
I'd agree with Keith regarding this boat. If I had space for another project I would have already been heading along the A38 for it! It would make a delightful, and on the face of it, a pretty straightforward restoration.

Steve
Steve and Eileen - ex-Dabber sailors, almost ex-Cape Cutter 19 sailors, now Lune Whammel Coastal Weekender sailors. Based in East Yorkshire and looking forward to some DCA rallies.
Reply | Threaded
|

Keith Muscott 1516
Administrator
Thanks for that, Steve.

If any of you wish to see the construction of this boat in some detail, which I think shows off old Percy's ability as a sound, no-nonsense boat designer par excellence, go to these pages, which John Shirley has drawn my attention to (below).

This particular Tarpon was built very recently and there is even a page or two of the (now unobtainable) plans displayed at one point. They are obviously very detailed – if you can find a set, which I wouldn't mind doing, if only to 'conserve' them. The last photo of the completed, painted hull shows off well her rugged lines.

Keith

http://www.seahamharbourboatclub.co.uk/html/the_beejay_-_part_1.html

http://www.seahamharbourboatclub.co.uk/html/the_beejay_-_part_2.html

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/Tarpon-14-for-sale-tp726p732.html
To start a new topic under Members' Ads: offered & wanted, email ml-[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from DCA Forum, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

Keith Muscott 1516
Administrator
In reply to this post by Steve Shone 3398
(Tarpon)

... And I should have said there are 4 pages in all dealing with the boat's story right through to its takling the water in the guise of an inshore fishing boat. Just change the number at the end of each web address.

If memory serves, the removable cuddy for the sailing version was smaller than this fisherman's version. Understandably.

Keith

Reply | Threaded
|

Keith Muscott 1516
Administrator
As a matter of interest I tracked down ClarkCraft again, who hold most if not all of Percy Blandford's sailboat plans now, from almost the smallest (Gremlin) to the largest (Hornblower).
I didn't expect a reply, as I didn't get one last time, a couple of years back, but this morning I did get an email. Apparently the lady who deals with the plans will be in mid-week, so we'll see.
The online log of building a Tarpon back in 2003 mentions somewhere that the plans he used were 30 years old, so I don't think there would be any point in contacting the builder, which is probably impossible anyway, as the harbour boat club seems to be no more, which is a great pity.
(Back in the day York Marinecraft held the plans for Tarpon and most of the other Blandfords – and produced kits too, I think.)

Keith
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve Shone 3398
I've been having a read through the articles you provided the link to, Keith. I didn't appreciate she was a ski boat. They reckon she can be powered by 5-10hp  
A 10hp motor would probably get my whammel up on the plane!

Steve
Steve and Eileen - ex-Dabber sailors, almost ex-Cape Cutter 19 sailors, now Lune Whammel Coastal Weekender sailors. Based in East Yorkshire and looking forward to some DCA rallies.
Reply | Threaded
|

Keith Muscott 1516
Administrator
SKI BOAT?!

Steve, I wonder if you went on the right Seaham Harbour Boat Club site with that link?! 

The TARPON is sort of Percy Blandford's GP14, a general purpose vessel, but as Jack Holt was a racer to the bone, the GP14 was a fast boat with a big rig that was immediately adopted for racing, something which the Tarpon does not lend itself to.

The Tarpon plans apparently show four possibilites of use, two with a centreboard and two without. With a centreboard it's a safe cruising dinghy (the one presently for sale); add the cuddy (which can be built to be removable) and you have a basic camp-cruising weekender.

Without a centreboard she can be a basic knockabout rowing boat, or (with cuddy – possibly a bigger one because you won't be troubled too much by windage in this configuration) an inshore fishing boat. The boat shown being built by the SH Boat Club member was intended for fishing, indeed it seems he had helped another member build a Tarpon for fishing previously, so he knew what he was aiming for.

I think he says somewhere that the 8hp Yammy he has on the stern is a 'big prop' model suitable for displacement hulls, shifting a lot of water with fairly low revs. (As do British Seagulls of course.) Not much hope for a skier with that on!

By altering the spacing between frames and widening the frames themselves, he has ended up with a 15ft + boat that looks remarkably like a Falmouth Bass Boat with that bow rake, and the beam is up to 5ft 8ins. It looks like there is a little more freeboard, too. I shouldn't think Blandford advised bilge keels that deep for the two sailing Tarpons, either.

I had never come across Seaham Harbour before, but it is clearly a sheltered little harbour on the Durham Heritage Coast – pity the website now seems defunct: let's hope the Harbour Boat Club isn't.

Keith

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve Shone 3398
A flippant comment, Keith. The thought of 10hp on a 14ft sailing dinghy surprised me

Steve
Reply | Threaded
|

Keith Muscott 1516
Administrator
My apologies, Steve. The perils of email.

Keith

Reply | Threaded
|

howard
In reply to this post by John Shirley 3350
Hi is this still for sale can you email or ring me on 0161 485 5760 it looks a nice boat

from Howard
Reply | Threaded
|

howard
If any one has any dinghy fore sale  or one that needs restore that is fore sale needs to go good home can you ring or email me

on howard@soysoy@tahoo.co.uk  . just change the t to y for when emailing me  

thanks