classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

WANTED: An article from the first issue of The Boatman

Keith Muscott 1516
Administrator
Researching the history of the whammel-net salmon boats is proving to be a very laborious but enjoyable task. Nothing has been written on the so-called 'tank' whammels, which were double-ended and designed for rough water with buoyancy tanks and outside iron keels. It is not known whether they originated in the Lune fishery or up in Annan at the extreme northern end of the Solway Firth. The two places became closely linked, which paradoxically increases the difficulty of deciding who initiated what.

Were it not for Philip Oke's lovely 1930s drawings of Dora, in the NMM's Coastal Collection I'd have no information on the construction of the tank boats, save for the hazy recollections of my 99 year-old father. (Members of my family fished the Solway in them, and my father's older brother trawled from an Annan nobby, the Annandale, 32ft x 9ft. These Scots Nobbies were less showy versions of the Morecambe Bay Prawners; the latter eventually came to resemble Edwardian yachts.)

One of the few articles to feature the sailing whammel-netters is titled Open Working Boats of the North West and it appeared in issue one of The Boatman (June/July 1992). Apparently there isn't much on the tank boats, but there is valuable information on the Lune fishery and the various boatyards, and the Annan connection is mentioned. If anyone has this issue, No.1, I am prepared to pay you a fair price for a good photocopy or digital photos of the article.

The results of our investigations will eventually appear in Dinghy Cruising 
('Our' = David Hall, myself and Alan Smith – whammel fisherman under sail and oar.)
Reply | Threaded
|

RE: WANTED: An article from the first issue of The Boatman

andrewshort3322
Banned User
Hi Keith,

I seem to have the article you mention. 'Open Working Boats of the North West'.I think I can scan, assuming an A4 scanner will work.

Can I send to your email address when done, I'm not sure how to attach to a forum post yet.

PS see you tomorrow in Wigan?

Kind regards

Andrew Short

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: WANTED: An article from the first issue of The Boatman

Keith Muscott 1516
Administrator
Ah, you brilliant man!

Yes, I should be at Wigan SC by about 09:30 tomorrow, gales along the M6 permitting.

If you have trouble with the scanner, bring the magazine and I'll bring a camera! Less trouble for you anyway ...
Then I'll be able to discuss the article with Alan Smith, as he seems eager to see where it takes us.

See you soon,

Keith

Reply | Threaded
|

andrewshort3322
Banned User
Will do.

Regards

Andrew

Reply | Threaded
|

andrewshort3322
Banned User
In reply to this post by Keith Muscott 1516
Hi Keith,

Scans sent to your 'editor' email account in three batches. Not brilliant, but readable.

A photograph may improve the images, if we can get enough light. I'll bring the magazine tomorrow.

Kind regards

Andrew

Reply | Threaded
|

Keith Muscott 1516
Administrator
I don't know how to say this, Andrew, but I kicked my Editor account into touch a long while back! I'll go on the website to see if I can resuscitate it.

This is why only this email address appears on page 2 of the bulletin. Members were trying to contact me on the other one and not getting through.

Don't worry, we'll find sufficient light tomorrow and I'll probably print off the article here later using a colour laser printer – not that it is necessary, I just want to read it all and see what the subjects of the photographs are!

I'll take a look on the site now.

Many thanks for taking the trouble!

Keith

Reply | Threaded
|

andrewshort3322
Banned User
Not to worry Keith,

I can forward to any email address you suggest. Otherwise I'll bring a CD tomorrow as well as the magazine.

Kind regards

Andrew

Reply | Threaded
|

Keith Muscott 1516
Administrator
Greetings Andrew, and many thanks again for lending me the actual copy of The Boatman, No.1.

I've no idea how the photos I took of the pages at Wigan have come out because I haven't bothered to check! I scanned the pages here today and have everything in the can. A really interesting piece too, long and thorough.

Please email me the postal address to which you wish me to return the magazine  – I don't want to make any mistakes! (Use my personal email, [hidden email])

I thoroughly enjoyed the meeting on Saturday, if not the weather I experienced returning to Wales, but I wasn't alone in suffering from that!

Very best regards, and I hope to see you again at one of the season's rallies we arranged on Saturday.

Keith

Reply | Threaded
|

andrewshort3322
Banned User
Any time Keith,

I'm pleased to be of assistance given the time and effort that you and your colleagues put into enhancing our enjoyment.

The email link below didn't work for me, possibly an antiquated machine. I use an old Xp machine for general stuff.

My direct email should be listed in the membership details, feel free to use.

Kind regards

Andrew.
Reply | Threaded
|

Keith Muscott 1516
Administrator
That was a good check on the security of this forum – you can't even give away your personal details without their being jumped on and obscured, it seems!

I have re-assembled all the pages of the article into one pdf and sent it to David Hall and Alan Smith; also a printout of it to my father, who wrote me a letter on the subject of northern Solway whammel net boats of the bigger double-ended variety, which was waiting for my return from Wigan on Saturday. I'll get more from him in face to face chat: he doesn't do long letters at the age of 99!

I'll find your email address and check out your postal address with you tomorrow.

Regards,

Keith
Reply | Threaded
|

andrewshort3322
Banned User
Hi Keith,

No worries, no rush.

99 years old, fantastic. I hope you and yours inheritied some of the genes.

Kind regards

Andrew

From: Keith Muscott 1516 [via DCA Forum] [mailto:[hidden email]]
Sent: 08 February 2016 21:21
To: andrewshort3322
Subject: RE: WANTED: An article from the first issue of The Boatman

That was a good check on the security of this forum – you can't even give away your personal details without their being jumped on and obscured, it seems!

I have re-assembled all the pages of the article into one pdf and sent it to David Hall and Alan Smith; also a printout of it to my father, who wrote me a letter on the subject of northern Solway whammel net boats of the bigger double-ended variety, which was waiting for my return from Wigan on Saturday. I'll get more from him in face to face chat: he doesn't do long letters at the age of 99!

I'll find your email address and check out your postal address with you tomorrow.

Regards,

Keith

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/WANTED-An-article-from-the-first-issue-of-The-Boatman-tp211p231.html
To start a new topic under Members' Ads: offered & wanted, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Members' Ads: offered & wanted, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

Roger Barnes 936
In reply to this post by Keith Muscott 1516
Regarding Whammel boats, have you tried contacting Mike Smylie, Keith?
Roger Barnes
President
Dinghy Cruising Association

president@dinghycruising.org.uk
Reply | Threaded
|

Keith Muscott 1516
Administrator
Roger

I have Mike Smylie's book, the one in his series that includes the fishing boats of the Lune, the Upper Solway and round to the Clyde, but like most other authors dealing with the subject he is woefully light on whammels, with nothing at all on the double-ended 'tank' whammels that I remember vaguely from my childhood, as they appeared most prominently in the harbours of Annan, Maryport, Workington and to some extent Whitehaven. The history is fascinating, 1840 – 1940.

I hope to put this right, as far as possible, but the research is a hard-won grind, so the first article in a series of at least three will concentrate on what the double-enders really were. I intend to scout around Annan and its museum soon, and approach the National Maritime Museum about what they call The Coastal Collection, which mainly features the superb drawings of Philip Oke, who took it upon himself to work his way around the coast of Scotland drawing small open working boats as he went. He managed to record about two dozen before WWII broke out and he, being a merchant skipper, answered the call and was lost in the Battle of the Atlantic. He is completely neglected now with little known about him; something else that should be rectified. The Boatman article is good, but a lot of what John Leather says about these boats simply doesn't wash, as you will see. I have most of Leather's books and admire them greatly, but he seems to have been prone to make sweeping statements without examining evidence closely, especially towards the end of his career.

Keith

-----Original Message-----
To: Keith Muscott 1516 <[hidden email]>
Sent: Tue, 1 Mar 2016 20:35
Subject: Re: WANTED: An article from the first issue of The Boatman

Regarding Whammel boats, have you tried contacting Mike Smylie, Keith?
Roger Barnes
President
Dinghy Cruising Association

[hidden email]

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/WANTED-An-article-from-the-first-issue-of-The-Boatman-tp211p268.html
To start a new topic under Members' Ads: offered & wanted, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from WANTED: An article from the first issue of The Boatman, click here.
NAML