6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

WEST WIGHT POTTER

John Button 3320
Hello Sailors

To all of you that have a West Wight Potter, or who are interested in them:

The westwightpotter-UK Yahoo group follows on from the now closed West Wight Potter Association.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/westwightpotter-UK/info

This group provides a focus for the 14 foot West Wight Potter [WWP] sailing boat designed and built in England - the A, B, C, D, E and AX types.  Posts on anything "potter" are welcome.  The 'files' and 'photos' areas provide information to help with sailing, maintenance and renovation. How about posting a picture of your boat? Any sailing stories or cruise logs? .

There's lots of info on the site, so have a dig around. A lot is common to the B, C and D types, especially gunter rig. If you have a problem or cannot find what you want, shout and we'll help if we can. It's always difficult with old boats to know what's right, what's wrong, what the builder got wrong, what got lost and what somebody bodged. And there's usually plenty of the last item. Any UK WWP is now far from new and will very likely have been through (or suffered at) the hands of several owners. Modifications have almost certainly been done; not necessarily for the better, nor correctly. Changes were made during production. So information on this site is a useful guide, not a bible.  

Recommended reading - to be found in 'files'
 "UK West Wight Potters" Short history of the UK WWP
 "WWP Instruction Manual -UK"
 "October Potter" Stanley Smith's account of his North Sea adventure
 "Safer sailing" -how to get in trouble -- or stay out of it.
 "Many ways to Potter"

If you want to buy or sell a WWP in the UK, post on this site.

Cheers all; hope to see you on the WWP-UK yahoo group

John Button
Hornpipe
WWP C type 112
Poole

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: WEST WIGHT POTTER

Ralph
Hi John.
Just thought would send a note.
Here we are just creeping into bareable temperatures.
Would commonly check the temperature driving off to work and perhaps later at lunchtime, then in the early evening - and imagine what it might be like sitting in the boat's cockpit late evening clenching a wet sponge.
In the past I have boated in the winter but debatable how enjoyable it actually was. Personally it was probably just an endurance test. Bottom line is 10 C.
Rather edgy about my WWP still, as a couple of years ago managed to invert her in the Walton Backwaters. That adventure featured in a DCA journal. Have certainly learned from that so hopefully won't make the same errors again. The WWP has been built up by many owners to be amazingly seaworthy - probably not from their own offshore exploits - but on the basis on the designer's crossing of the North Sea in a gale many years ago - but the boat he sailed was not the same as the more modern grp versions which may be more top heavy. Anyway - will be dropping a line soon hopefully about the first 2016 trip.  The most difficult thing to deal with on the Class C version is getting your foot
jammed between centre plate casing and bunk side.  Ralph B
Reply | Threaded
|

Tony Thomason 1688
I've got to agree with that Ralph I had an 18 moth affair with Potter C21 and was considering her taking over for the twilight years. I found that the stability was an issue (coming from a Hunter 490) mine had the larger jack holt rig and felt over pressed at times, however it was with the plate up in the shallows that it was a bit scary. I thought that the idea of a centre plate was to allow you take advantage of the reduction in draught but was amazed how unstable she was. I decided I would soldier on with the 490 and sold her on to a guy who also passed her on to someone who managed capsize her, loose the rudder and put his family off sailing for life. Despite all the moans I felt she sailed quite well considering her hull profile, and felt a bit more beam would make a lot of difference. If I was to have another go I would maybe try and convert to gaff cutter with lightest spars to try lower both the Centre of Gravity and the Centre of Effort which just might have the desired effect.
Reply | Threaded
|

Keith Muscott 1516
Administrator
If I were you I'd stick with the Hunter 19. Chalk and cheese, absolutely no comparison. I've admired Oliver Mee's design ever since buying David Blagden's (?) book Willing Griffin when it first came out.

Keith

Reply | Threaded
|

Tony Thomason 1688
Have you been talking to my wife Keith
Reply | Threaded
|

Keith Muscott 1516
Administrator
My mistake – I read HUNTER 19, not HUNTER 490. From the same stable, though, but I doubt anyone would wish to tackle an OSTAR in the 490.

Regarding Stan the Man's trip across the North Sea delivering the WW Potter, I did hear recently that he was driven to excessive measures to keep the show on the road at times – large inflatable sponsons / rollers / fenders attached to the gunwales at one point?

I do have the account somewhere; perhaps it's time to blow the dust off it again.

Keith