Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

What clothing do you wear?

John Booth 3163
I am interesting in knowing what you wear when sailing. I have so far tended to wear shorts or trousers, a tee shirt, some sort of pullover and a light anorak, plus of course a buoyancy aid. As and when I venture onto the sea, I think I will need something which will retain body heat better, such as a wet suit with a one piece waterproof on top, but I know from experience that that can be very sweaty and uncomfortable if worn over long periods. The DCA videos I have seen on YouTube suggest that you mostly stick to what I wear at present. If you capsize, are you adequately protected against hypothermia? The North Wales waters where I sail are very cold, even at their warmest!
John Booth
53814 Red Kite
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: What clothing do you wear?

Roger Barnes 936
I deal with this vexed issue at some length in my book, John. But to summarise, I often sail in the warm waters of France where protection from the sun and wind is more important than warmth. In Britain I tend to wear wooden garments from Illfrotte under my oilies. These I think are better protection against the cold than modern fleece or wetsuit - based garments. But that may be just my personal bias.

Roger

On 7 Jul 2016, at 10:11, John Booth 3163 [via DCA Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

I am interesting in knowing what you wear when sailing. I have so far tended to wear shorts or trousers, a tee shirt, some sort of pullover and a light anorak, plus of course a buoyancy aid. As and when I venture onto the sea, I think I will need something which will retain body heat better, such as a wet suit with a one piece waterproof on top, but I know from experience that that can be very sweaty and uncomfortable if worn over long periods. The DCA videos I have seen on YouTube suggest that you mostly stick to what I wear at present. If you capsize, are you adequately protected against hypothermia? The North Wales waters where I sail are very cold, even at their warmest!
John Booth
53814 Red Kite

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/What-clothing-do-you-wear-tp520.html
To start a new topic under Flotsam & Jetsam: Everything else dinghy cruising, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from DCA Forum, click here.
NAML

Roger Barnes
President
Dinghy Cruising Association

president@dinghycruising.org.uk
Reply | Threaded
|

Keith Muscott 1516
Administrator
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

Roger Barnes 936
Yes … woollen. Bloody auto-correct!

On 12 Jul 2016, at 12:22, Keith Muscott 1516 [via DCA Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

... And the beauty of wooden garments is of course that you do not need any additional personal buoyancy ... Oh! woollen ... sorry! K

To start a new topic under Flotsam & Jetsam: Everything else dinghy cruising, email ml-<a href="x-msg://4/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=527&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external" class="">[hidden email]
NAML

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/What-clothing-do-you-wear-tp520p527.html
To start a new topic under Flotsam & Jetsam: Everything else dinghy cruising, email [hidden email]
NAML

Roger Barnes
President
Dinghy Cruising Association

president@dinghycruising.org.uk
Reply | Threaded
|

John Booth 3163
Thanks Roger. I used to wear a diving wetsuit when I sailed a Merlin Rocket at Putney in the winter, which was a bit of overkill but I think I'll stick to my existing garb now, possibly with a dinghy waterproof top. Best wishes, John B
Reply | Threaded
|

Keith Muscott 1516
Administrator
In reply to this post by Roger Barnes 936
Just a little banter. I'll remove it in a minute!
(After all, they do produce clothing from bamboo these days, so you never know ...)
K

Reply | Threaded
|

John Starkie 2816
In reply to this post by John Booth 3163
Depends what I'm doing.

If I'm beach sailing my son's Laser Regatta for a few hours on a warm day,  expecting to capsize and recover,  I wear a wetsuit and dinghy spray suit.   Plus a PFD.   I can shower and change when we've stowed the boat.

If I'm camp-cruising the Hobie TI I'll wear a dry suit,  with a 'woolly-bear' underneath.   It's claustrophobic and uncomfortable,  but it's a very wet boat.   Plus,  of course,  a lifejacket.   When I get ashore and pitch the tent I change into everyday clothes.   I hope not to capsize,  or get thrown out,  but,  given time,  it can be recovered.

If I'm cruising the WWP then normal (roughish and warm) clothes with a waterproof boiler suit (plus LJ).
If I capsize the WWP it's probably lost,  so I need to be warm and comfortable until I'm rescued or get ashore.

It took me several decades of coastal and offshore sailing to realise that expensive 'waterproof' clothing is not waterproof.   It's also too bulky,  especially in a dinghy.   When it does keep the water out,  it keeps the sweat in:  that's just as wet,  but smells worse.
I've now accepted the need to change everything at the end of a watch.

John Starkie