classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

What do you think of our new forum?

Patrick Horton 3310
Thought a single depository for all feedback on the new forum would be handy.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: What do you think of our new forum?

Patrick Horton 3310
Such an improvement.  This is superb.  Thank you for all your hard work Osbert.  I now feel inclined to browse when I have a few spare minutes and get involved.

Patrick
Reply | Threaded
|  

photocurio
+1. Its an excellent forum.
New Ilur Dinghy!
Reply | Threaded
|  

Colin Gray 2970
In reply to this post by Patrick Horton 3310
The new forum is excellent. But I have some comments.
 I  think topics referring to a particular date should be remover by the moderator after the date has passed as they clutter up the index. 'Last call for pies at Wigan' is the sort of thing I am refering too.
Newest Posts in each section should be at the top. Newest posts to a thread should bring that thread to the top of the list - this happens in most other forums and makes finding new posts much easier.
Reply | Threaded
|  

Paul Hadley 2898
It's logical to have an overarching DCA Forum.

It's fast, unlike the Yahoo forums full of slow adverts.

Would like to see a Gallery style forum.

Would like to see regional sub-forums.

Cheers
Paul
Reply | Threaded
|  

sw13644
I very much like it. Is there any way of using the site as a way of mailing an email distribution list (as Yahoo can be used) in order to facilitate communication between individuals in a single DCA region?
Reply | Threaded
|  

Paul Hadley 2898
sw13644 wrote
Is there any way of using the site as a way of mailing an email distribution list (as Yahoo can be used) in order to facilitate communication between individuals in a single DCA region?
The forum already has a suitable architecture. If the 5 regions had their own sub-forum....one could simply subscribe to the region's forum that one is interested in. Then any message to a region's forum goes to all that are interested in that region.

cheers
Paul
Reply | Threaded
|  

Osbert Lancaster 2756
Administrator
Hi

We did consider setting up separate subforums as you suggest, but felt that it was an unnecessary complication, especially as quite a few people travel to events outside "their" region.

Certainly happy to reconsider if people think it would be useful. For the time being, I'd suggest starting a thread in the cruising forum. Note that you can choose to subscribe to individual threads without subscribing to the whole forum, by selecting "alert me …" when you compose or reply.
"Selkie", a Drake rowing boat by Clint Chase
"Scratch", a Walkabout dinghy by John Welsford
Mainly sailing and rowing on the Firth of Forth
forthsailoar.osbert.org
Reply | Threaded
|  

Keith Muscott 1516
Administrator
I'm totally with Osbert on this – the fact is that our area programmes are not at all hermetically sealed.

Their names do not at all define an area exclusively. There are venues in North Wales, for instance, which are permanent fixtures on the NW list. NE members regularly sail with us in the Lakes. The NW region has held a holiday week every summer at St Just, Carrick Roads, for years – in South West territory.

Keith

Reply | Threaded
|  

Roger Barnes 936
Don't think we in the SW have not noticed the naked Trotskyite entryism of the NW Region Carrick Roads Rally.

From Roger Barnes by mobile

On 19 Aug 2016, at 13:08, Keith Muscott 1516 [via DCA Forum] <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm totally with Osbert on this – the fact is that our area programmes are not at all hermetically sealed.

Their names do not at all define an area exclusively. There are venues in North Wales, for instance, which are permanent fixtures on the NW list. NE members regularly sail with us in the Lakes. The NW region has held a holiday week every summer at St Just, Carrick Roads, for years – in South West territory.

Keith

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/What-do-you-think-of-our-new-forum-tp156p561.html
To start a new topic under FAQs & Forum Issues, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from DCA Forum, click here.
NAML
Roger Barnes
President
Dinghy Cruising Association

president@dinghycruising.org.uk
Reply | Threaded
|  

Keith Muscott 1516
Administrator
When I said that the NW has held a holiday every year in SW's territory, the last word prompted me to add 'like the 7th Cavalry in Lakota Sioux territory', but fortunately I stopped just in time ... 

http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/What-do-you-think-of-our-new-forum-tp156p561.html
To start a new topic under FAQs & Forum Issues, email <a target="_blank" rel="nofollow" href="about:blank">[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from DCA Forum, <a target="_blank" rel="nofollow" href="about:blank">click here.
NAML
Roger Barnes
President
Dinghy Cruising Association

[hidden email]

http://forum.dinghycruising.org.uk/What-do-you-think-of-our-new-forum-tp156p562.html
To start a new topic under FAQs & Forum Issues, email ml-[hidden email]
To unsubscribe from DCA Forum, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|  

Paul Hadley 2898
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Keith Muscott 1516
<quote author='Keith Muscott  the fact is that our area programmes are not at all hermetically sealed.

Their names do not at all define an area exclusively.
</quote>

So logically all areas should be together, then members can decide which events to take interest in?

I can attend events around the Solent, the South West, South Wales, Birmingham etc

At the moment I have to trawl multiple sites to check all those areas..

IMHO the first forums on this site should be: South West, South, North East etc. Then we can quickly plan, observe, take part and post picture reports as required. That adds up to a cohesive site, for the members, by the members.

Regards
Paul

PS Nabble works very well with a weak network signal here at windy Cobnor. ++

PPS I'm  Administrator on the HBBR forum. We have juggled and moved forums based on priority and popularity.
http://uk-hbbr-forum.967333.n3.nabble.com/
Reply | Threaded
|  

Keith Muscott 1516
Administrator
Paul

You are not compelled to 'trawl multiple sites'.

Every member knows what is going on from the Rally Programme section of the Spring journal, where this year there were ten pages of hard copy.

Those ten pages are on this Forum, available as a downloadable pdf for your tablet, computer, or smartphone, to be found in the 'Business & Announcements' section, clearly titled by Osbert as 'DCA Rally 2016 Programme', with a hotlink to the pdf.

Anything extra to this that might be decided during the course of a season, whether a flash rally, a new venue suggestion, a cancellation of a rally, or a simple enquiry as to who will be attending an event, should be posted in the section 'Rallies, Raids and Cruises', because that is what it says on the tin. These additions must all be in the same place in case members wish to attend events out of their area – a common occurence. But really this is all solved if you set your profile to receive Forum email as it breaks: you do not even have to visit the site to hear of changes or additions, and it takes only a second to discard stuff you don't want.
A separate section for each area would incur the reverse of what you say you want: spiralling complication requiring searches of multiple sections, which won't rationalise anything.

When I receive separate planned programmes at the start of the season they are placed in the journal as they arrive. In fact the order they appear usually approximates to what you have suggested because that is roughly the order they come from the organisers. Once I have set up these quite complicated pages early in the journal I am reluctant to return and start shifting them around to fit a preordained sequence when that part of the job is finished with. There's too much else to do. Also, moving them is not like moving articles; they contain so much precise information that I would have to check them for accuracy all over again after each move. The order they appear in is unimportant.

Keith