classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Where to put mooring lines on a GP 14

IanCameron3450
Hi all,

I intend using my GP14 for cruising. As I could well be mooring alongside jetties, I wondered if anyone has suggestions for attaching mooring lines, especially at the stern. I am loathe to fit cleats on the quarter as they would most likely foul the mainsheet. I did think about eye bolts through the transom.Does anyone have any solutions that they use, or suggestions that might work?

Many thanks
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Where to put mooring lines on a GP 14

John Lidstone 1503
Hi Ian, just an idea - 20mm holes through the transom near the top, through which you push a peg to be used as a cleat. Take out the peg when you go sailing. Ive never used it but the principle is used as halyard clears on a trad dinghy mast thwart.
I hope someone gives you a better idea!
Cheers
John
Reply | Threaded
|

DavidSumner2098
In reply to this post by IanCameron3450
Ian
I have put cleats on the transom on my Mirror and they do not tend to catch anything. Can also be used for securing the mainsheet whilst rigging the boat etc. and when using an anchor astern.
I have also found that for a short stop, on a fueling pontoon etc, a single mooring line amidships works very well and is convenient if single handed. So I have a cleat for that, or you can possibly use the jib cleat.
By the way, nice to hear from John L. Season's greetings.
david
Reply | Threaded
|

Paul Holdsworth 3279
I've got cleats on my Westray 16, and the mainsheet DOES get caught.
I've considered drilling holes in the transom but, instead of using pegs as belaying pins, simply using stopper knots, or perhaps threading lines through and making off around the top of the transom.
Nothing actually tried out as yet, but I have to do something. As our president has shown, you only have to get your mainsheet caught once for it to end in tears.
Reply | Threaded
|

IanCameron3450
I like the idea of holes, as opposed to cleats, although as my GP has a stern locker, I am not sure how easy it would be to use. Someone at my sailing club also suggested handles on the transom. Being closed the sheet would not catch on them.  I will get something rigged before spring. Many thanks for all your suggestions.
Reply | Threaded
|

Steve Shone 3398
Hello, Ian.
It is an unwritten rule of boating that if a rope can snag anywhere, it most definitely will - and always at the most inconvenient time
I don't know how much you fancied spending on the problem, but have you seen these?

https://www.asap-supplies.com/stainless-steel-316-marine-deck-cleat-813800

Steve
Steve and Eileen - ex-Dabber sailors, almost ex-Cape Cutter 19 sailors, now Lune Whammel Coastal Weekender sailors. Based in East Yorkshire and looking forward to some DCA rallies.