"Long Steps": Welsford crosses Walkabout & Scamp to circumnavigate New Zealand's North Island

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

"Long Steps": Welsford crosses Walkabout & Scamp to circumnavigate New Zealand's North Island

Osbert Lancaster 2756
Administrator
As Walkabout owner I'm fascinated by this new design John Welsford is working on; building as he designs: Long Steps 

"Selkie", a Drake rowing boat by Clint Chase
"Scratch", a Walkabout dinghy by John Welsford
Mainly sailing and rowing on the Firth of Forth
forthsailoar.osbert.org
Reply | Threaded
|  

Re: "Long Steps": Welsford crosses Walkabout & Scamp to circumnavigate New Zealand's North Island

Rick Thompson 3094
I'm fascinated too, Osbert. JW addresses some of the issues of Walkabout and I'm waiting to see the plans. I hope that features such as the raised forward sleeping area could be retro-fitted to Walkabout. The draining sleeping area would get the bed out of the bilge, making wet weather camping easier to manage.
Reply | Threaded
|  

RE: "Long Steps": Welsford crosses Walkabout & Scamp to circumnavigate New Zealand's North Island

andrewshort3322
Banned User
Hi Osbert and Rick,

I think most JW watchers were expecting a stretched Scamp, as had been argued for on the Woodenboat forum. The Scamp/Walkabout hybrid was a surprise. Is it intended for single occupancy, or occasional two up?

Andrew S

From: Rick Thompson 3094 [via DCA Forum] [mailto:[hidden email]]
Sent: 29 January 2016 00:37
To: andrewshort3322
Subject: Re: "Long Steps": Welsford crosses Walkabout & Scamp to circumnavigate New Zealand's North Island

I'm fascinated too, Osbert. JW addresses some of the issues of Walkabout and I'm waiting to see the plans. I hope that features such as the raised forward sleeping area could be retro-fitted to Walkabout. The draining sleeping area would get the bed out of the bilge, making wet weather camping easier to manage.

To start a new topic under Dinghies for Cruising: choosing, acquiring & using, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Dinghies for Cruising: choosing, acquiring & using, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|  

RE: "Long Steps": Welsford crosses Walkabout & Scamp to circumnavigate New Zealand's North Island

Osbert Lancaster 2756
Administrator
Andrew

I've just re-read the whole thread on Woodenboat forum, there's no mention of sleeping two. But a stretched walkabout can believe.
"Selkie", a Drake rowing boat by Clint Chase
"Scratch", a Walkabout dinghy by John Welsford
Mainly sailing and rowing on the Firth of Forth
forthsailoar.osbert.org
Reply | Threaded
|  

andrewshort3322
Banned User
Thanks for the link Osbert.

I think the initial conversation started 6 - 12 months earlier, started by some WB regulars and a comment from Dylan Winter asking if there was going to be a 15/16ft Scamp for his old age sailing.

From what I remember of older discussions, the original design was Tread Lightly, 13/14ft. I think Scamp needed to be a bit shorter to avoid some US registration limit. There's a very long threat on the WB forum, 'Scamp Envy'? thats been running for a few years and documents the development. By all accounts it's an amazingly capable boat.

Scratch/Walkabout looks more of a Ferrari by comparison. Long Steps may be a tricky compromise between the two, but JW is obviously a very talented designer.

I have greatly enjoyed reading about your exploits in Scratch and Selkie, many thanks for taking the trouble to document for the rest of us.

Andrew